Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    21

    HELP! Battery doesnt fit!

    I just put the valineon system in my rustler 4x4. I went to put in the Traxxas 3S 5000mAh battery (2872x) and it doesn't fit....suggestions?!?! It is a tad bit too long.

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,567
    Sounds like to got the wrong battery pack.

    The Rustler 4x4 VXL uses a shorter LiPo.

    See this link for Traxxas batteries that are for your rig:
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...xl?t=batteries
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Sounds like to got the wrong battery pack.

    The Rustler 4x4 VXL uses a shorter LiPo.

    See this link for Traxxas batteries that are for your rig:
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...xl?t=batteries
    Do all of the 4x4 VXL 3S batteries fit the 4x4 as well? The website only shows compatible 2S Lipo's for the 4x4

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRookie View Post
    Do all of the 4x4 VXL 3S batteries fit the 4x4 as well? The website only shows compatible 2S Lipo's for the 4x4
    When I went to that link I see three different 3s lipo listed.

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    79
    The NON-VXL Rustler 4x4 (aka the "Brushed" version) has the same size battery tray as the VXL (and thus will "fit" the same size batteries).

    The reason for the distinction between the batteries listed for the VXL and the NON-VXL is that the Brushed motor system (including the XL5 ESC) that is stock in the NON-VXL Rustler 4x4 is only rated for up to 2S LiPo batteries (or 7-cell NIMH batteries) . The VXL version of the Rustler 4x4 can handle 2S or 3S LiPo.

    So... if you have installed the Velineon (including the VXL-3s speed control) system in your Rustler 4x4, then the ESC and motor are capable of taking the 3S power. Note, however that there are other differences between the VXL and NON-VXL that you might want to consider up-grading: Center drive-shaft, Gearing (both the pinion as well as the ring-gears on the differentials) come to mind first. The VXL also comes with TSM, and the adjustable turnbuckles, as well as a different (stronger?) servo.

    Edit to add this line: if using LiPo batteries, be sure that your ESC is set in 'LiPo Mode' (green LED, not red) so that you have the Low Voltage Protection enabled in the ESC. If you don't have the Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) enabled, you are likely to damage the LiPo batteries by over-discharging them.

    Good Luck, and have fun! --BillJ
    Last edited by Single_Trac; 10-09-2019 at 01:40 PM.

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    When I went to that link I see three different 3s lipo listed.
    sorry, I meant when I went to that same site but was looking under the brushed 4x4, not the VXL as he had listed

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    The NON-VXL Rustler 4x4 (aka the "Brushed" version) has the same size battery tray as the VXL (and thus will "fit" the same size batteries).

    The reason for the distinction between the batteries listed for the VXL and the NON-VXL is that the Brushed motor system (including the XL5 ESC) that is stock in the NON-VXL Rustler 4x4 is only rated for up to 2S LiPo batteries (or 7-cell NIMH batteries) . The VXL version of the Rustler 4x4 can handle 2S or 3S LiPo.

    So... if you have installed the Velineon (including the VXL-3s speed control) system in your Rustler 4x4, then the ESC and motor are capable of taking the 3S power. Note, however that there are other differences between the VXL and NON-VXL that you might want to consider up-grading: Center drive-shaft, Gearing (both the pinion as well as the ring-gears on the differentials) come to mind first. The VXL also comes with TSM, and the adjustable turnbuckles, as well as a different (stronger?) servo.

    Edit to add this line: if using LiPo batteries, be sure that your ESC is set in 'LiPo Mode' (green LED, not red) so that you have the Low Voltage Protection enabled in the ESC. If you don't have the Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) enabled, you are likely to damage the LiPo batteries by over-discharging them.

    Good Luck, and have fun! --BillJ
    Yep! This all makes perfect sense! Just needed to confirm the VXL and brushed battery tray were the same size! Probably should have verified that 3S that I was getting would actually fit before buying it!

    I'm only about 2 weeks into this new hobby but if I would have know how significant the difference was between the brushed and the VXL I would have dished out the money up front for it!

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    When I went to that link I see three different 3s lipo listed.
    Yes, and all three 3S LiPo batteries listed are 135mm length that are needed to be able to fit into the Rustler 4x4.

    2857x - The 6400MAH 3S battery is "taller" than the others, but it does fit (tho it requires the 'included-in-the-Rustler-4x4-VXL-box' taller battery hold-down bar).

    2849x - The 4000MAH 3S battery I have no experience with, but the dimensions indicate that it should fit fine.

    2832x - The 5000MAH 3S battery I also have no experience with, but the dimensions indicate that it should fit fine.

    Honestly, the Rustler 4x4 VXL is fast enough/punchy enough for me on 2S, and I don't use the 3S on it that often. YMMV --BillJ

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    Yes, and all three 3S LiPo batteries listed are 135mm length that are needed to be able to fit into the Rustler 4x4.

    2857x - The 6400MAH 3S battery is "taller" than the others, but it does fit (tho it requires the 'included-in-the-Rustler-4x4-VXL-box' taller battery hold-down bar).

    2849x - The 4000MAH 3S battery I have no experience with, but the dimensions indicate that it should fit fine.

    2832x - The 5000MAH 3S battery I also have no experience with, but the dimensions indicate that it should fit fine.

    Honestly, the Rustler 4x4 VXL is fast enough/punchy enough for me on 2S, and I don't use the 3S on it that often. YMMV --BillJ
    As you said The vxl comes with a flat battery retaining bar that allows the 42mm tall 2857 to fit, its great. There is another optional one sold separately for the 2832x and it works great as well.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier USMC1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    As you said The vxl comes with a flat battery retaining bar that allows the 42mm tall 2857 to fit, its great. There is another optional one sold separately for the 2832x and it works great as well.
    I'm able to use the stock battery bar with the 2832s...it's tight but works.

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Port Orchard
    Posts
    1
    I had a similar issue, the local hobby shop I bought my rusty 4x4 vxl at sold me (2) 2s lipo, 7400mah. I just used my dremel and shaved just enough of the chassis so the batteries would fit. Hopefully, in me doing this, it doesn't cause problems down the raod

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •