RC Competitor

OEM Traxxas Tire / Wheel Combo Rubbing?

Hi,

I bought my XO-1 used, and it came with GRP 1/8 tires, which are shorter than the stock combo. Decided I wanted the Oem look, so picked up a new Traxxas set, and I must say, Im a bit disappointed.

First run, and the fronts both came unglued (inner bead). Glued them back together, and during the second run, noticed the wheels actually balloon a fair bit (especially the fronts) and they grind against the underbody components. both front and back grind.

Its almost as if the OEM tire / wheel is too tall (measured at 110mm vs GRP at 96mm).

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks.

I can only tell you that I have never had a problem with OEM wheels. I have use both pre-assembled and assembled them my self. I definitely never seen any of my OEM wheels ballooning. (IMO) they can't due to them being belted. The only thing I can suggest is for you to try gluing a set yourself. That way you can inspect everything before you put them together. One more thing you can try is balancing them. I can tell you from experience that balancing does make a big difference.

The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    Hi ReglarGuy, Thanks for the response.

I use the very same balancer as you do, works great!

Maybe I got a bad set of wheels, as they definitely balloon and rub against the undercarriage. Weird to say the least.

must be a bad set . I ran my original tires until the cord showed & never had a problem (104mph). call whoever you bought them from & get another set ..
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kzsteve View Post
    must be a bad set . I ran my original tires until the cord showed & never had a problem (104mph). call whoever you bought them from & get another set ..
    Yah, Ive started that process and well see where it goes.

Did some tinkering last night and reduced the ride height which moved the underbody further away from the wheels. Well see if that helps.

Which brings up a question, what ride height are you guys running front and rear?

I keep mine the factory ride height.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I keep mine the factory ride height.
    So that is 15mm front and 18mm rear. Where do you measure from?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I can only tell you that I have never had a problem with OEM wheels. I have use both pre-assembled and assembled them my self. I definitely never seen any of my OEM wheels ballooning. (IMO) they can't due to them being belted. The only thing I can suggest is for you to try gluing a set yourself. That way you can inspect everything before you put them together. One more thing you can try is balancing them. I can tell you from experience that balancing does make a big difference.

I was looking at this balancer today at the hobby store but wasn’t sure if it was going to work, guess I got to go back and buy it now!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    I was looking at this balancer today at the hobby store but wasnt sure if it was going to work, guess I got to go back and buy it now!
    It works awesome. I use a spare wheel hub and nut to hold the wheel tight.

RC Enthusiast
    Grabbed it yesterday and spun the tires up on the car and at 15mph they felt like they would rip the car apart with any more input, balanced them out and it spins up smooth as butter! I did find that one rear tire was about 4g out of balance! It took nine of those blue sticky tabs to balance it out.