RC poster

what slash should i get?

I am wanting to get a good rc car and I was looking at the slash 4x4 platinum, but it is $400 is it worth it for a beginner? also, what is the difference from the Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL Brushless RTR Short Course RC Truck w/TSM for $300? also if i should get a different truck which one?

Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

Before we can answer properly, what are your plans with it (racing, general bashing, hardcore bashing, monster truck, speed runs)?

Generally speaking, get the Ultimate Edition if you can afford it.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    manly bashing and driving around. would the rustler 4x4 be better?

should I get slash platinum or the rustler 4x4? I will mainly be jumping and bashing.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-13-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by camps552 View Post
    should I get slash platinum or the rustler 4x4? I will mainly be jumping and bashing.
    If you are just bashing buy whatever you want/can afford. E-Revo is a better jumper/stunt vehicle imo.

manly bashing and driving around. would the rustler 4x4 be better?
    Bashing doesn't necessarily have to be manly...LOL I've seen women do it too!

But if you're mainly just going to bash, I'd recommend the Rustler 4x4 VXL or possibly the new Maxx.

I know nothing or less about the Slash though so...take that into account.

RC Enthusiast
    If you aren't going to race it, or just plan on bashing and trying racing later I suggest the brushless RTR Short course over the ultimate. With the money you save by not getting the ultimate you can buy other things like batteries that'll give you more run time = more bashing = more fun

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I will never own a Slash 4x4 that is not an Ultimate edition. I like the aluminum parts that it comes with. They add extra strength where it is needed. The telemetry is an added plus! It's nice to see the motor temperature and not have to stop running and pull out a temperature gun. Plus in my experience the speedometer is pretty spot on. It also comes with the softer compound tires that are a huge performance gain from the hard stock set. The newest Ultimate edition has A arms that in my opinion are better than RPM arms. That's just my $0.02
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    i am very new so what car should i get is the rustler or the slash? which would be better and more fun.

i am very new so what car should i get is the rustler or the slash? which would be better and more fun.
    We can't make the decision for you...perhaps watch the promo videos for each vehicle and see which one is run like how you plan on running yours.

Like others have said, it depends on how you plan on using it.

FWIW, someone recommended a UDR to me a while back and initially I wasn't too interested in in until I realized I had much more terrain around me that was perfect for it than some of the other cars. I love it now, it's not a Slash but kind of a giant version of one at least in the outer looks of it.

That said...I've always thought if I could only have one car, it would be the Rustler 4x4VXL...but the Maxx may change that...I'll know as soon as it comes in.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 10-10-2019 at 09:12 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks, I just don't want to buy the wrong car. I think the rustler 4x4 would probably be better for jumping and bashing.

RC poster
    I think I will see what car pops up at a good price.

Thanks, I just don't want to buy the wrong car. I think the rustler 4x4 would probably be better for jumping and bashing.
    I don't think there IS a wrong car...I like them all, but some have limits.
    What I like about the Rustler is it's a great size, is durable, inexpensive to buy and repair, it's pretty fast and doesn't cause a lot of damage if it hits something. Plus you only need one battery.

RC Competitor
    I think I will see what car pops up at a good price.
    As has already been stated, You canít go wrong with either the Slash or Rustler. They are both flexible platforms that can be modified / upgrade as your needs change.

My main advice is to ensure you buy a 4x4 with a brushless system of which Traxxas has many options.

Good luck.

RC poster
    Thanks

Another thing to think about...
    The Slash 4x4 has been around for a while and there are a ton of after market parts and bodies.
    The Rustler 4x4 is new and although many of it's parts are Slash 4x4 compatible, your after market body choices are limited... for now.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Another thing to think about...
    The Slash 4x4 has been around for a while and there are a ton of after market parts and bodies.
    The Rustler 4x4 is new and although many of it's parts are Slash 4x4 compatible, your after market body choices are limited... for now.
    My one complaint with the Rusty...no body options! I can probably make just about anything "fit" but as far as bodies meant specifically for it...zilch! They don't even have any ProGraphix bodies available for it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    My one complaint with the Rusty...no body options! I can probably make just about anything "fit" but as far as bodies meant specifically for it...zilch! They don't even have any ProGraphix bodies available for it yet.
    Iím going to make the case for a 2WD Rustler. Tons of fun, and less maintenance as far as rebuilding differentials is concerned. What do you think about this body? Iím an 80ís kid, so this was right up my alley...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    I’m going to make the case for a 2WD Rustler. Tons of fun, and less maintenance as far as rebuilding differentials is concerned. What do you think about this body? I’m an 80’s kid, so this was right up my alley...

Not Bad!

I tend towards mopar musclecar bodies myself, but they rarely fit perfectly.

Now, for the crawlers, I am going to go nuts with realistic looking hardbodies!

I can't speak of the 2wd Rustys...don't have any! I figure I'd stick with 4x4 everything to hopefully compensate for lack of driving skills.

80's kid? So born in the 80's or a kid in the 80's? As you may tell from my username, I went into the military in '84.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 10-11-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Not Bad!

I tend towards mopar musclecar bodies myself, but they rarely fit perfectly.

Now, for the crawlers, I am going to go nuts with realistic looking hardbodies!

I can't speak of the 2wd Rustys...don't have any! I figure I'd stick with 4x4 everything to hopefully compensate for lack of driving skills.
    Haha! I agree, 4wd makes up for a lot of poor driving skills. I have the re-release Kyosho Optima, and its night and day. Amazing the way it pulls through corners.

My love of 2WD rigs may originate from late night slip and slide driving sessions with my dad, when I was just a boy. Thereís definitely something fun about being able to control something thatís a bit out of control (bonus points if you can figure out where that movie quote comes from).

We have a TRX-4 Sport too, and I was just looking at body options. Any suggestions? I think Proline makes an old school Chevy one thatís kind of cool.

Haha! I agree, 4wd makes up for a lot of poor driving skills. I have the re-release Kyosho Optima, and its night and day. Amazing the way it pulls through corners.

My love of 2WD rigs may originate from late night slip and slide driving sessions with my dad, when I was just a boy. There’s definitely something fun about being able to control something that’s a bit out of control (bonus points if you can figure out where that movie quote comes from).

We have a TRX-4 Sport too, and I was just looking at body options. Any suggestions? I think Proline makes an old school Chevy one that’s kind of cool.

I see you avoided the 80's kid question!

I have this body:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another project is going to be reworking this toy and using the body:

FWIW, they will be shelf queens and only run gently enough to get it on camera...bodies most likely will be attached with strong disc magnets and homemade posts. The goal will be limiting the modifications to the bodies and no permanent mods to the chassis.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 10-11-2019 at 10:50 PM.

I see you avoided the 80's kid question!

I have this body:

Another project is going to be reworking this toy and using the body:

Howíd I miss that last paragraph?! I was born in Ď77.

My dad was a mechanic, and always drove absolute beaters! He had this old 2WD Dodge power ram, and in the winter (weíre from Ct. originally, Iím in Boston now) he would take me for these epic snow drives. That man could drive sideways like no other. Taught me everything I know about driving sideways, power-oversteering, double-clutching...

I love that Jeep body! What are you doing with the Halo kit?

Also, since I was watching early MTV and stealing candy from Cumberland Farms in Ď84, where did your service take you?

Also, since I was watching early MTV and stealing candy from Cumberland Farms in ‘84, where did your service take you?

LOL NOWHERE! I am probably the only Marine to have never gone to Okinawa!

I went to NC for supply school, then to Yuma AZ for 1st duty station, After a year I extended my contract and went to El Paso TX to an Army RADAR school then right back to Yuma AZ to work on Hawk RADAR systems....somewhere in there I got Fapped to the base Provost Marshall to be an MP for six months until they could get some fresh MPs.

How’d I miss that last paragraph?! I was born in ‘77.

My dad was a mechanic, and always drove absolute beaters! He had this old 2WD Dodge power ram, and in the winter (we’re from Ct. originally, I’m in Boston now) he would take me for these epic snow drives. That man could drive sideways like no other. Taught me everything I know about driving sideways, power-oversteering, double-clutching...

I love that Jeep body! What are you doing with the Halo kit?

I've had my share of 2wd Dodge trucks...usually club cab longbeds...beasts I tell you!

I plan on gutting the undercarriage of the Warthog and planting the body (With Masterchief, of course!) onto probably the Defender unless I can make it look right on the E-Revo or Summit...maybe the Maxx? I need to do some measuring. With one sided wheelwells I have some leeway as to wheelbase. I think it'll probably come down to the Defender or the Maxx. I'm pretty sure the others are way too big.

LOL NOWHERE! I am probably the only Marine to have never gone to Okinawa!

I went to NC for supply school, then to Yuma AZ for 1st duty station, After a year I extended my contract and went to El Paso TX to an Army RADAR school then right back to Yuma AZ to work on Hawk RADAR systems....somewhere in there I got Fapped to the base Provost Marshall to be an MP for six months until they could get some fresh MPs.

I've had my share of 2wd Dodge trucks...usually club cab longbeds...beasts I tell you!

I plan on gutting the undercarriage of the Warthog and planting the body (With Masterchief, of course!) onto probably the Defender unless I can make it look right on the E-Revo or Summit...maybe the Maxx? I need to do some measuring. With one sided wheelwells I have some leeway as to wheelbase. I think it'll probably come down to the Defender or the Maxx. I'm pretty sure the others are way too big.
    The Okinawans are interesting people from what Iíve heard. I remember reading somewhere that they had the highest number of centarians (sp?) people over 100. Their diet is like fish, rice, fruits and veggies. Too bad you didnít get to go, but at least you didnít end up in Panama!

You HAVE to post pics of the Halo rig if you pull it off

The Okinawans are interesting people from what Iíve heard. I remember reading somewhere that they had the highest number of centarians (sp?) people over 100. Their diet is like fish, rice, fruits and veggies. Too bad you didnít get to go, but at least you didnít end up in Panama!

You HAVE to post pics of the Halo rig if you pull it off

The big question is WHEN...I have a tendency to stack up projects that I never get to because I see something shiny in another direction!

If and when I do...I will surely post it.