RC Enthusiast

Shocks questions

I got a Slash to get into the hobby and noticed a few things the other day. The first being towards the top of the front shock there is some dirt/dust/debris that looks as if the shock was leaking and the oil was collecting dirt and dust. I also noticed that the truck doesn't seem to rebound back to ride height but instead sit looking lowered. Trying to figure out if that is normal or could I have bad shocks or springs? Any ideas welcome.

I'm assuming you got the "standard" Slash, work the 'Ultra' shocks (ie. plastic body & plastic caps). At best, they can leak...at worst, the caps will pop off when you got something hard, or jump with a hard landing. As many would recommend, the first thing you should do it upgrade to the aluminum caps (cheapest option), completely upgrade your shocks to something like the Pro-Line ProSpec shocks (more costly, but with aluminum bodies & caps), or completely upgrade your shocks to the Traxxas GTR shocks (most expensive option, but also best option).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I'm assuming you got the "standard" Slash, work the 'Ultra' shocks (ie. plastic body & plastic caps). At best, they can leak...at worst, the caps will pop off when you got something hard, or jump with a hard landing. As many would recommend, the first thing you should do it upgrade to the aluminum caps (cheapest option), completely upgrade your shocks to something like the Pro-Line ProSpec shocks (more costly, but with aluminum bodies & caps), or completely upgrade your shocks to the Traxxas GTR shocks (most expensive option, but also best option).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Do you know of a place to get prospec shocks at a reasonable price? The places Iíve looked, either front or rear tend to cost what ebay take off for all four GTRs cost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Do you know of a place to get prospec shocks at a reasonable price? The places Iíve looked, either front or rear tend to cost what ebay take off for all four GTRs cost

Thanks
    I but from my LHS...and when they can't get, I order from AMain.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I but from my LHS...and when they can't get, I order from AMain.

How much are they from your LHS? My work office is in Santa Clara so I can swing by either hobby town or nor cal.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    How much are they from your LHS? My work office is in Santa Clara so I can swing by either hobby town or nor cal.
    Give Eric a call at NorCal. I believe his price is the same as AMain, but, fe had them in-stock, you can get them asap. If he doesn't have them, can be can order them...or you can order from AMain. If you seriously want the ProSpecs, just be certain to get the correct ones, as Pro-Line make different versions (for example, the also make them for scale crawlers). The correct rear shocks are PRO6308-31, and the correct front are PRO6308-30.

I think I have an extra set, lightly used, that I could sell you, if you want to save some money. They're the ones I just removed from the Rustler (replaced them with GTRs), and are currently filled with 45wt front )40wt rear. Send me a PM, if you're interested. Obviously, I'm South Bay, as well.

Is $50+ a pair really considered reasonable for Pro Specs shocks these days? That is way more than GTR shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Is $50+ a pair really considered reasonable for Pro Specs shocks these days? That is way more than GTR shocks.
    The "Big Bore"...which are what you'd need...sell for
    $65, if I recall correctly.

Wow! You can get a full set of 4 GTR for $80 with several piston options.

RC Racer
    I just put a set of big bores on my Slash. Does anyone find the oil that comes in them is a little thick?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stampedejim View Post
    I just put a set of big bores on my Slash. Does anyone find the oil that comes in them is a little thick?
    It depends on your intended use, heavier oil will help prevent "slapping" the chassis bottom on jumps etc. Personally I like my suspension to work so I use as light an oil that will prevent spring oscillation (usually 15w) in just about all my off road trucks. The heaviest I use is 30w on heavy trucks like Slayers or my Pro fusion 4x4 but even then i drill the piston holes out. I believe 30w is what Slashes normally have and trucks with Revo/Slayer GTR shocks have 40w.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    It depends on your intended use, heavier oil will help prevent "slapping" the chassis bottom on jumps etc. Personally I like my suspension to work so I use as light an oil that will prevent spring oscillation (usually 15w) in just about all my off road trucks.
    Some really good points here.

Many bashers favour thicker oil to create more "pack" behind the shock pistons on compression that helps reduce the suspension bottoming out on big jumps. Personally I would use stronger springs to achieve this as I hate the dead feeling of over-dampened springs.

Racers (and anyone else who prioritises handling) will want fast removing, responsive suspension and should choose the thinnest oil possible that's just thick enough to adequately dampen the action of the springs.

After a bit of experimenting, I've run the Traxxas Big Bores on my LCG race Slash with 30wt rear and 35wt front AE oil. I guess it's a personal thing but IMO this gives me the best compromise for my particular use.

As a general rule, the stronger the springs the thicker the oil that's required to provide effective damping as it's the spring that's pushing the piston through the oil on the rebound action.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Qualifier
    Good points Mr. Wolf, i use stiffer springs when needed to get the ride height i want without decreasing the travel of the shock by preloading the spring. I think a lot of people don't understand shocks that well and think bigger (or thicker) is better.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk