RC poster

New UDR fanatic - had to buy 2 UDRs.

I just became obsessed with the Unlimited Desert Racer. I am here because I want to share some of my experiences and hope that you can benefit from them. There will be no comparing, no criticizing, no judging, just UDRmania.

My last RC car was in the 80s and was a 7.2V Tamiya Bug. I bought a UDR a month ago with 2x 3S Lipos, took it to a dirt gravel trail to find out what the hype was about. Anyone who does not know how great a UDR is, need not doubt how amazing it is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3iG6bgh...d=fcz143b575pq

My first thread is going to be my simple GO-TO steps on MUST-DO mods that I will give links of where I got all my stuff from. Its for people who don't read much (especially instructions). If you dont read, just click on my links!

Ive been smashing my UDR pretty good with my kids who have a Slash and Xmaxx and I bought a 2nd UDR to build up for my satisfaction and to show you some definite upgrades to enjoy the UDR further and have as much uptime as possible. I am not going to upgrade to billet aluminum, just economical FUNCTIONAL quick n dirty stuff. The billet stuff looks amazing, but way too nice to smash on.

I buy all my OEM Parts from @vg_racing_hobbies and aftermarket parts (mostly RPM branded) from www.rcplanet.com (because I like instant gratification and tracking numbers which both companies give me. They understand AND feed my addiction to upgrading stuff. I also upgrade my cars so this is a pattern in my life.

FIRST MODIFICATION:
    1) Rear trailer arms snap. Passenger side snapped on my 2 outing. I recommend when you buy the UDR, that you upgrade to these with the version made by RPM on day 1.

https://www.rcplanet.com/rpm-traxxas...arms-rpm81282/

They offer screw-on skid plates for them which as a MUST HAVE

https://www.rcplanet.com/rpm-trx-unl...ates-rpm81362/

Ill post plenty more mods like this that I am collecting (based on my experience with my daily driver UDR) and will do a thread of me putting together a new UDR with unboxing.
    Last edited by UDR-NIK; 10-12-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typos

Yup, I started in the 80s with two Hornets, two Bruisers and two tamtechs. Then got out until this July!

I agree that the UDR is awesome...I've yet to break a part though.

I totally understand having two!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Yup, I started in the 80s with two Hornets, two Bruisers and two tamtechs. Then got out until this July!

I agree that the UDR is awesome...I've yet to break a part though.

I totally understand having two!
    If you haven’t broken anything yet- that’s cool! But I encourage you to go and find the limits of your UDR.

It’s likely a common pattern to go down this path. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. The guys at Traxxas probably see it too, and they are cater to it. I say that because when I call them occasionally for simple questions like “my sons Slash 2WD doesn’t go in reverse” they know I was fiddling with it and totally love to help resolve everything. Their tech support is so good!�� They clearly understand what it means to provide solutions to get back on the gravel road!

My 2nd UDR is sitting in the cellophane until all the upgrade parts to arrive. Do you remember that feeling you get when you check your tracking numbers to see what day to go and visit the mailbox? Ha ha. Otherwise I just let it fill up with bills (all on autopay). The best parts are the ones that arrive earlier than the tracking shows.

I’m going to add the next modification into my original post ����which is an absolute MUST DO. The wheels fill with water and mud silt and gain weight which kills the battery and eventually motor.

Quote Originally Posted by UDR-NIK View Post
    If you haven’t broken anything yet- that’s cool! But I encourage you to go and find the limits of your UDR.

It’s likely a common pattern to go down this path. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. The guys at Traxxas probably see it too, and they are cater to it. I say that because when I call them occasionally for simple questions like “my sons Slash 2WD doesn’t go in reverse” they know I was fiddling with it and totally love to help resolve everything. Their tech support is so good!�� They clearly understand what it means to provide solutions to get back on the gravel road!

My 2nd UDR is sitting in the cellophane until all the upgrade parts to arrive. Do you remember that feeling you get when you check your tracking numbers to see what day to go and visit the mailbox? Ha ha. Otherwise I just let it fill up with bills (all on autopay). The best parts are the ones that arrive earlier than the tracking shows.

I’m going to add the next modification into my original post ����which is an absolute MUST DO. The wheels fill with water and mud silt and gain weight which kills the battery and eventually motor.
    I have no interest in finding the limits...I'm having fun as is...I don't like breaking things and more importantly, don't like having to fix things.

RC poster
    Awesome looking to forward to more. I just got my udr yesterday put the light kit in last night and just ran a 4s pack through it. Only issue was after i semi hard nose plant truck stopped going forward or reverse. Thought pinion came lose starting taking covers off and pinion was fine noticed one of the motor wires cane unplugged plugged that back in and back running again. Have an emaxx and a xmaxx the udr is my new favorite going to get in another run later around dusk try the lights out��

RC poster
    Iíve read and watched more content on UDRs and it seems there are plenty of people talking about the ďgo-toĒ modifications. Not sure if anyone here wants to hear more?

My shopping list of mods for UGR#2 finally all came in. I think Iíll write down the list here like a journal rather than post one up at a time.

1) rear trailer arms (thicker)
    2) rear trailer arm (protector skid plates)
    3) underbody (aluminum guards)
    4) rear differential (aluminum casing)
    5) center diff to front diff (steel ball joint driveshaft)
    6) prop shaft (hardened steel)
    7) wheel hex hubs (aluminum)
    8) wheel modifications (add glue, breather modification)
    9) front lower wishbones (aluminum)
    10) front upper wishbones (thicker)
    11) steering arm links (steel)

Iíve put lots of harsh driving on UDR1 and drive wide open throttle mostly and practice to improve my control. I had a few mishaps such as head on into an immovable object at full speed while I was busy watching the dash on my phone ��

That event took shook the entire chassis that the motor wires disconnected at the bullet connectors. As I took the front end apart I could see exactly how everything moved but went back into place. You can actually see the order in which parts fail and it exciting to see the different materials effect each other during an impact.

RC Competitor
    You should think about an open diff.....makes it much easier to drive.

RC poster
    But that's half the fun. To fix things.

RC Racer
    I love fixing these things too. It lets you enjoy the finer details and quality of the assemblies. Traxxas really does their homework on these things, and they are a joy to look at and work on. But I definitely have had friends over the years that were drivers and not builders, so I get that too! As long as you are having fun, the potential for enjoyment is multi-faceted.

I still love Tamiya for all the nostalgia it brings for me personally, but they seem to have stopped innovating Traxxas is the king in my book now. I'd say I started paying attention to Traxxas back with the Villain IV AWESOME twin outdrive RC boat, and was it the nitro T-Maxx with reverse? And then starter motors? Always awesome and always innovating. Love them!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by UDR-NIK View Post
    I ordered my UDR from Traxxas today! Finally! I ordered the 400 Brushless Servo with it because some of my research shows that that this needs to be done. I just saw your post and I ordered the trailing arms and skid plates right before I posted this.

I got my "shipped" email from Traxxas a little while ago, still waiting for the tracking number to give me a delivery date.

It's good to see more old guys getting back into RC! I've been in and out of the hobby for over 30 years myself and it all started with a Tamiya Hornet.

The UDR is an awesome truck. Good choice to get back into the hobby. I have no experience with it, personally, but every time I see it I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    It's good to see more old guys getting back into RC!
    Who are you calling OLD? LOL

RC poster
    I'm with him!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
    I'm with him!
    Well, I don't know about you guys, but at 42 I definitely feel old!

I was in the best shape of my life at 42...can't say that at 53...too much medical stuff keeping me down lately.

RC poster
    I'm 48 and in probably the worse shape of my life. Although, my "not into playing with toy cars" wife, who is 56, was checking out a few of the cars that I'm waiting to get picked up... I might be getting someone into the hobby.

RC Competitor
    I'm 48 and in probably the worse shape of my life. Although, my "not into playing with toy cars" wife, who is 56, was checking out a few of the cars that I'm waiting to get picked up... I might be getting someone into the hobby.
    I'm 52......and I got my wife into rc cars.....we have 2 slashs with oba....and she got me a dodge charger and a chevelle a few weeks ago....

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
    I'm 52......and I got my wife into rc cars.....we have 2 slashs with oba....and she got me a dodge charger and a chevelle a few weeks ago....
    Charger? OOH do tell!

RC poster
    My UDR just showed up!

RC Competitor

Dodge Charger

Charger? OOH do tell!
    Lol....Kyosho 1970 Dodge Charger......it's Orange.....Vector wheels....Rebel flag....ESS sound box....ITS AWESOME!

RC Competitor
    My UDR just showed up!
    Have fun with it....still loving mine!��