RC poster

Question Burnt motor in Slash 2wd vxl with proline trenchers 2.8

I recently bought a Slash 2wd vxl and upgraded the wheels to 2.8" proline trenchers, but soon burned the motor. Now I want to upgrade to castle creations esc and motor combo. Can someone help me choose this setup and gearing for the monster slash?

RC Qualifier
    Get the Elsob special
    He will tell you about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since it is just the 2wd Slash you really don't need a Mamba X esc but the 1415 is still the best option for motors from Castle for the Slash 2wd. I would suggest this combo if going MT Slash.

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0164-07

RC Qualifier
    One possible course of action: get an eBay take off stock motor rather than immediately spending a lot of money for new esc+motor combo, and also a temperature gun. it’s always good to keep an eye on the temp especially after you change the set up. Every car is different so just because a gearing set up works for others doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for yours 100% of the time.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 10-14-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Cheapest I could find for a Traxxas Velineon vxl-3s system on eBay was $60 for the 3351r motor and $75 for the 3355r esc. I admit I am not great at mining eBay but they don't seem much cheaper than the Castle combo linked. Unless you mean the old 2-pole versions they are cheaper.
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-14-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: price correction (motor)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Cheapest I could find for a Traxxas Velineon vxl-3s system on eBay was $60 for the 3351r motor and $75 for the 3355r esc. I admit I am not great at mining eBay but they don't seem much cheaper than the Castle combo linked. Unless you mean the old 2-pole versions they are cheaper.
    It’s just another option, spend 60 for a new motor vs 145 for a new esc and motor combo. The stock system is decently capable of running 3s on a 2wd slash. The motor burned because the stock gearing wasn’t designed for 2.8 mt tires.

Also, per the castle page

Availability: Not available

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Itís just another option, spend 60 for a new motor vs 145 for a new esc and motor combo. The stock system is decently capable of running 3s on a 2wd slash. The motor burned because the stock gearing wasnít designed for 2.8 mt tires.

Also, per the castle page
    True they have been completely unreliable for having anything in stock much anymore.

RC poster
    So a Castle motor with vxl 3s ESC?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    One possible course of action: get an eBay take off stock motor rather than immediately spending a lot of money for new esc+motor combo, and also a temperature gun. itís always good to keep an eye on the temp especially after you change the set up. Every car is different so just because a gearing set up works for others doesnít necessarily mean it will work for yours 100% of the time.
    For that price you can get 3660 HW motor. That motor can move Slash 4x4 on 3s without problems.
    Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    its funny how often people recommend a motor / esc combo that has been out of stock for almost a year.

I am with alexsasax. I would recommend a Hobbywing setup. Max10 SCT / 3660 Motor combo would be great in your slash. Since it is a 2wd I would recommend this one https://www.amazon.com/38010202-Max1...1421028&sr=8-5