RC poster

Rc recommendation

I am just getting into the rc world, I am having trouble deciding which car to go with. I am in-between the Rustler 4x4 vxl, slash 4x4 vxl, Maxx , and the E-revo vxl brshlees. I am looking for something to take outside and do some bashing occasionally some sand dune time. There is a few out door race tracks that I want to take it to also.
    I have a couple of questions what is the difference between the Slash 4x4 vxl and the Slash 4x4 ultimate? Is the E-revo worth the extra money compared to the Rustler or the Slash?

The e-revo is larger. More ground clearance, handles rougher terrain better.

Are the tracks you have to run at RC, BMX, MX? If they are RC, try going there on weekends when people are there to see what they run, then you can get a better idea of what you may want.

I'm just a basher that spends all my time at skate parks and a grass bmx track. 9 out of 10 times, I'm running my E-Revo 2.0 or my Outcast. But I do run my stampede 4x4 at the skate park quite a bit. It doesn't do as well as the larger trucks in the grass. Too much drag that slows it down. It's still fun, but since I have trucks that do better at the grass bmx, that's what I typically take there.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I'm a huge fan of the Rustler 4x4 vxl, however the Maxx may take top spot...I don't know because I haven't run it yet. The reason for the Rusty (Possibly Maxx) is the size, durability and cost effectiveness of maintaining. The Revo, X-Maxx and UDR are all what I call "Ultimates". They are top of food chain but have costs that go with them.

I can't speak on the Slash because I dont have one...but from lurking here it seems like you can't go wrong with it either.

Watch the videos and some YouTube stuff and see which one runs on the terrain you have access to and what videos get you going, then you'll know which one is right for you.

Keep in mind, anything bigger that the Rustler and you may be limited where you can safely run...ask me how I know...Lol!

Keep in mind also which vehicles require two batteries if budget is of major concern.

Have fun and keep us up to date on your decision!

Welcome to the addiction!

I have continuously owned a Slash 4x4 since January 2010! I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for an amazing R/C experience
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have continuously owned a Slash 4x4 since January 2010! I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for an amazing R/C experience
    Keep that kind of talk up and I may have to find out what all the fuss is about! LOL

RC Champion
    The slash 4x4 is one tough vehicle that is pretty easy to work on and can take a beating. Iíve jumped mine 30-40 feet and as high as 10-12 feet, and it just comes back for more. Also itís a good platform to transform into a monster truck, or even a buggy. Just add some 17mm wheel hexes and you can get a large variety of wheel/tire combinations. I donít run 3s in mine, only 2s on stock electronics, of which mine is the older 2 pole motor. Itís been one of my best all around vehicles to just bash around with. I love my Summit, but the slash 4x4 is just easier to manage and can be run off and on road and is a tough cookie!!

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    The slash 4x4 is one tough vehicle that is pretty easy to work on and can take a beating. I’ve jumped mine 30-40 feet and as high as 10-12 feet, and it just comes back for more. Also it’s a good platform to transform into a monster truck, or even a buggy. Just add some 17mm wheel hexes and you can get a large variety of wheel/tire combinations. I don’t run 3s in mine, only 2s on stock electronics, of which mine is the older 2 pole motor. It’s been one of my best all around vehicles to just bash around with. I love my Summit, but the slash 4x4 is just easier to manage and can be run off and on road and is a tough cookie!!
    I have no doubts about the Slash...I just don't really see it fitting in my collection unless I just want a baby UDR. I am kind of fond of having two sizes of the same/similar vehicles so I won't say never. At this point though, I don't see it filling any gaps in the line-up.

RC Competitor
    My buddy has both a slash 4x4 and rustler 4x4 and drives the slash 8 out of 10 times he runs cars. He just like the way slash handles. To be fair the slash is pretty modded, but still running 1/10 scale motor.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyPotty View Post
    My buddy has both a slash 4x4 and rustler 4x4 and drives the slash 8 out of 10 times he runs cars. He just like the way slash handles. To be fair the slash is pretty modded, but still running 1/10 scale motor.
    I would imagine the Slash running similar to the UDR, just on a smaller scale. The UDR does run much different than the Rusty, Evil-O or other bashers to be sure. It's much more fun on flat dirt and pavement. The other cars need jumps and bumps.

It all depends on where you like to run.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Keep that kind of talk up and I may have to find out what all the fuss is about! LOL
    The fact that you can set it up to do what you want it to do! It does well on and off road. Can made into a capable monster truck! The parts are easily accessible and for the most part inexpensive. My little girl has also had one for years
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    There is so much that can be done with a Slash 4x4 to really customise it and make it your own.
    Here's a few ideas... https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ur-Traxxas-4X4!
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The fact that you can set it up to do what you want it to do! It does well on and off road. Can made into a capable monster truck! The parts are easily accessible and for the most part inexpensive. My little girl has also had one for years
    Ah, that's where you lose me....I'm not a modder. I run stock but may upgrade a part here or there as needed but don't mod.

I looked at the Slash as is and don't really see it filling any gaps at this point. I reserve the right to change my mind down the road though... like I did on the UDR.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 10-16-2019 at 03:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    If you will occasionally take it out on the track the Slash 4x4 is your best choice of the listed options.
    There are plenty of race track specific parts made for the Slash 4x4.