Thread: Vxl motor noise

RC Enthusiast

Vxl motor noise

Before I tear everything apart, I've noticed the vxl motor is making a squeaking/squealing noise while driving at low speed. Is this a sign of a catastrophic future failure? Do I need to lube the bearings on the motor shaft? Its definitely coming from the motor. It still makes full power for now, if that helps. Thanks for advice.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Username for me View Post
    Before I tear everything apart, I've noticed the vxl motor is making a squeaking/squealing noise while driving at low speed. Is this a sign of a catastrophic future failure? Do I need to lube the bearings on the motor shaft? Its definitely coming from the motor. It still makes full power for now, if that helps. Thanks for advice.
    A few drops of lube on the bearings might not hurt. If you have compressed air Id try blasting it out too

RC Enthusiast
    Doesn't that make it accumulate more dirt? I've ran about 30 to 40 battery cycles on the motor now, with no real maintenance on the motor. When is it time for the rebuild kit, after it shows signs of decreased performance?

I am not sure there is a maintenance schedule for the Velineon motor. Most just rebuild when there is a problem with the bearings or it stops working.

After adding a drip or 2 of oil just work the motor by hand for a minute or so. Then wipe off any excess. As for dirt it is just a fact of the hobby. Some dry teflon or PTFE spray is your best defense against dirt.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Username for me View Post
    Doesn't that make it accumulate more dirt? I've ran about 30 to 40 battery cycles on the motor now, with no real maintenance on the motor. When is it time for the rebuild kit, after it shows signs of decreased performance?
    Lube itself doesn’t attract dirt, not wiping off / blowing off excess does. Not necessarily just on motors , but if I run in water or mud I usually blow out the water out of wheel bearings, spray WD40 in ( to displace the water. Then blow the excess out if needed I’ll add 3 in 1 oil and wipe up the excess