RC Racer

Brushed motor break in

Has anyone out there ever used a DC transformer to power new brushed motors for brush break in? I will be breaking in brushed motors a lot, and I am tired of buying dry cells to use.

I have never done it, but I wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn't work. It all depends on how much voltage you want to put through the motors and the amperage they'd draw.

For the voltage, I wouldn't go passed 2 - 3 volts, and only run them for about 5 - 10 minutes. The tricky thing would be to get a transformer that can handle the amperage. I would test the whole mess out with dry cells, putting an amp meter on the motor to see how much it is drawing, then get a transformer that is rated for at least double the amperage.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I have never done it, but I wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn't work. It all depends on how much voltage you want to put through the motors and the amperage they'd draw.

For the voltage, I wouldn't go passed 2 - 3 volts, and only run them for about 5 - 10 minutes. The tricky thing would be to get a transformer that can handle the amperage. I would test the whole mess out with dry cells, putting an amp meter on the motor to see how much it is drawing, then get a transformer that is rated for at least double the amperage.
    Back in the old days of NiCds and brushed motors my dad used to have all kinds of tricks and tips for break in of brushed motors. It’s honestly one bit of knowledge I can say I didn’t pick up from him however. I remember him just running them on the table under no load hooked up to makeshift packs. I think we eventually moved on to just run them in gently in the car for a pack or two and continue to spray some motor cleaner on The commutator and brushes method.