RC Racer

MAXX / E-Revo 2 Driveline Compatibility?

Hi All,

Something I've enjoyed as a long term Traxxas user is the wide interchangeability of parts between models.
    I have a number of 2WD & 4WD 1/10 vehicles, and a huge factor in my return business is the parts compatibility. One key aspect of this has been the diff / driveline compatibility between the Stampede / Slash 4x4 and E-Revo / XO-1 platforms.

So, with the introduction of the MAXX, I'm super keen to know if Traxxas has maintained a decent amount of compatibility between this new platform and the E-Revo 2. Given how they have excelled at this in the past I am hopeful!

I have two main queries at the moment...
    1. Driveshaft compatibility
    2. Transmission / Center / Front / Rear Diff compatibility

Hopefully some folks who own both can shed some light on it?!

I've read up here and haven't seen it, apologies if I've missed it on other forums.
    (I've edited up a few pics for clarity and ease of comparison. Images will be displayed scaled down, right click the "(Full Size)" link and open in a new tab to see clearly, or save image.)

1... Driveshaft compatibility. (Pics 1 &2)

Personally, I am simply not going to invest in this truck until a better option to plastic driveshafts are available.

When first checking out the product pics / exploded views I was encouraged by the beefy bearing carriers. But that soon turned to bewilderment noting the inner hub bearing was a relatively weak 12x18x4... and that smaller OD initially led me to believe the MAXX carriers were not compatible with the E-Revo 2's inner 17x26x5 hub bearings.

Upon revisiting though, it seems like the 18mm OD bearing may mount in a deeper recess in the MAXX carriers, and Traxxas may well have sized the larger recess to fit the E-Revo's larger inner bearing? (Pic 2).

The outer hub bearing has the same 16mm OD x 5mm depth, so that seems good to go. Of course the E-Revo dogbones will be way too long and shorter shafts would be required, but it would be encouraging to know where we may be heading.

So, can anyone with an E-Revo 2 confirm or rule it out???

Pic 1 - MAXX Driveshafts (Full Size)

Pic 2 - E-Revo 2 Driveshafts (Full Size)

2... Diff / Transmission compatibility. (Pics 3&4 simplified exploded views - Pics 5-7 comparisons)

Pic 3 - MAXX Transmission (Full Size)

Pic 4 - E-Revo 2 Transmission (Full Size)

Cush drive...

This seems completely compatible except for the different main shaft, (and different stock spur option Maxx 50T / E-Revo 54T).

Diffs...

All diffs seem like there is at least a possibility they may be drop in replaceable to a degree, but there are some observable differences. The most notable is that the E-Revo diffs have one piece (hardened steel) output gears and shafts, and the MAXX mates separate outdrive shafts to the output gear through a pin (Pic 5). The E-Revo 2 diffs also feature the metal inserts between the cross pins and case to distribute load, similar to the older diffs (Pic 6).

Center Diff...

It appears the output shafts may be similar diameters / lengths and may be interchangeable, but, as you can see in the comparison picture between the diff spur / crown gears (Pic 7), there is a difference in the o-ring recesses to account for the differences of the internal gears. This may mean that the MAXX spur will not mate with the E-Revo2 diff internals and require a dedicated spur???

Front / Rear Diffs...

A similar situation occurs with the F/R diffs, but, because the pinion / spurs are both 13/37 (AFAIK)... perhaps the E-Revo diffs can drop in as a whole here???

Pic 5 - Diff Internals (Full Size)

Pic 6 - Diff Cases (Full Size)

Pic 7 - Diff Spur / Crown Gears (Full Size)

Cheers! And looking forward to learning what we have as options here.

(By the way, part number search for MAXX parts is live on Traxxas now too)

RC Racer
    Ha, no sooner posted that I discovered driveshaft placeholders in the hop up parts

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=8950

US$120 a pair?!? (edit... actually $120 for a full set of 4 it seems which is a lot better! Then adding 17mm Hubs https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=8654 and 17mm nuts https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=7758)

A different drive cup to the revo is interesting. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8951 Wonder why that is?

Fingers crossed...

Lots of other placeholders there too for alloy C-Hubs, Carriers etc.
    Last edited by boosta; 10-17-2019 at 12:55 AM.

RC Champion
    Those parts you mention, 5118 BB, are probably in all Traxxas vehicles. They are only ball bearings.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Racer
    For the 5118 (8x16x5) bearing, I was mainly meaning it could easily be swapped into the outer hub position where the Maxx has 5099A (6x16x5) as stock.

What I’m really keen on knowing is whether the larger E-Revo 2 inner bearing fits in the larger inner position of the Maxx hubs, instead of its stock 12x18x4 bearing.

That would indicate that the Maxx metal shafts could use the E-Revo style CVDs.

(By the way, I only discovered later that imgur doesn’t allow viewing the full size images on mobile devices without the app. So if you need more detail on the exploded views above it’s probably best on PC, or saving the image from the imgur app.)
    Last edited by boosta; 10-17-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    (By the way, I only discovered later that imgur doesn’t allow viewing the full size images on mobile devices without the app. So if you need more detail on the exploded views above it’s probably best on PC, or saving the image from the imgur app.)
    Pretty sure you can tap the image and it opens, then double tap to zoom. At least they do on my android phone.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    Thanks for that mate! Good to hear.

I'm on iOS and the mobile imgur site (in Chrome at least) won't link to the full res. Same in Tapatalk, it doesn't seem able to link to full res.

I only embedded thumbnails in the post as otherwise they display massive in the thread and make scrolling a pain.

Bit of a learning curve here, haven't used forums for a while

Some forums auto adjust to a smaller size until you click on it so the format doesn't get all janky. Can't recall if this one does or not.

RC Racer
    That's what I was used to in the past, but when I tried posting full size above it appears like this forum doesn't resize. At least that's what seemed to happen for me here on the desktop site. I'll have to see how it goes posting from tapatalk.

All this is new to me. What I was used to previously was uploading to photobucket, linking to the original file, and everything just worked. Forum would display a thumbnail, and a click would expand full res, as you mentioned above. I'm having trouble finding a simple process like that at the moment. I'll get there

RC Champion
    I have not double checked, but the MAXX f/r drive shafts look suspiciously very similar to the EREVO version 1 drive shafts. But keep in mind, I'm only going by memory. And I'm not sure if the version 1 ERBE exploded views are still available online.

And I believe I was wrong.......☹
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 10-17-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Racer
    Valuable input mate, good to chase down all leads!

I hadn't thought to look at the Revo V1.

RC Champion
    Can't wait to get mine!! New lipos are already ordered......
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Racer
    Traxxas has now updated the steel driveshaft parts listing with images and they are indeed e-revo 2.0 style with the larger inner hub bearing. Still not sure on exact dimensions however.

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=8950

So they should be super beefy on the maxx and also gives me a lot of hope there may be wide arms coming at some stage that would fit the stock erevo2 shaft lengths?

Donít know if that would be too wide but it seems it would make it similar dimensions to the the emaxx or outcast?

No pic yet of the outdrive cups. Very interested why they are a different part number to the revo. Maybe shorter arms need more angle from the shorter shafts so the cups are shorter?

Ok... now need confirmation on diffs and internals...

RC Racer
    Just looking over the pics again and it seems like a difference between the diffs may be the diameter of the output shafts. Much like the original e-revo to stampede 4x4 etc.

As long as other dimensions remain the same this might bode well for making a full drop in exchange possible between front and rear diffs, as long as the steel outdrive cups are cross compatible too.

But it does look like it may throw a spanner in the works for the center diff, as I donít know of any diff spur gear similar to the maxx center diff spur, that has the larger output shaft hole.

Anyone know of a similar part from other models?

I have an erevo2 f/r diff and driveshafts to compare already, and am debating buying a revo2 center diff, but am still waiting on delivery of a Maxx.

RC Racer
    Just found a metal cased full center diff surfing through the Maxx accessories...

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8980

Wondering where this fits in the grand scheme of things?!? Definitely looks different to the erevo2 center diff. It looks like it might have the thicker outdrive diameters though? Hopefully the one piece hardened internals.

As a quick update, and Iíll update with details in the next few days... Iíve had a chance to do a very brief comparison between the erevo2 and Maxx F/R diffs, but there is definitely something strange going on with them.

They erevo2 diff drops in as a whole and fits the bulkhead perfectly, BUT... as soon as the diff pinion drops in it gets all crunchy.

The front diff pinion is even the exact same part as far as I can tell.

It seems like the position / offset of the pinion / crown gear is fractionally wrong.

They look like they should fit, but donít. To me it either looks like a mistake, or Traxxas has intensionally made them incompatible? If so thatís very un-Traxxas indeed.

Iím wondering now, seeing this part, whether Traxxas does have a plan to make upgrade Maxx diffs, but solely make them available as an optional upgrade part?

As an initial impression I can see certain sales benefits in this approach, but at the cost of weakening one of the main incentives to buy into the Traxxas brand as a whole, which is system strength through inter-model parts compatibility.

Anyway, that is only rampant speculation as I have only had limited time to do a very quick comparison for now, but there is definitely something wrong going on between the erevo2 and Maxx F/R diffs.

Just found a metal cased full center diff surfing through the Maxx accessories...

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8980

Wondering where this fits in the grand scheme of things?!? Definitely looks different to the erevo2 center diff. It looks like it might have the thicker outdrive diameters though? Hopefully the one piece hardened internals.

As a quick update, and I’ll update with details in the next few days... I’ve had a chance to do a very brief comparison between the erevo2 and Maxx F/R diffs, but there is definitely something strange going on with them.

They erevo2 diff drops in as a whole and fits the bulkhead perfectly, BUT... as soon as the diff pinion drops in it gets all crunchy.

The front diff pinion is even the exact same part as far as I can tell.

It seems like the position / offset of the pinion / crown gear is fractionally wrong.

They look like they should fit, but don’t. To me it either looks like a mistake, or Traxxas has intensionally made them incompatible? If so that’s very un-Traxxas indeed.

I’m wondering now, seeing this part, whether Traxxas does have a plan to make upgrade Maxx diffs, but solely make them available as an optional upgrade part?

As an initial impression I can see certain sales benefits in this approach, but at the cost of weakening one of the main incentives to buy into the Traxxas brand as a whole, which is system strength through inter-model parts compatibility.

Anyway, that is only rampant speculation as I have only had limited time to do a very quick comparison for now, but there is definitely something wrong going on between the erevo2 and Maxx F/R diffs.
    Maybe one is spiral cut and the other is straight cut? I know arrma does that on their 6S trucks/buggy... not 100% sure why they do it. The buggy/short course use straight cut gears and the trucks all use spiral cut (ever so slightly spiral, but not straight).

RC Qualifier
    A fully upgraded Max is going to be one hefty investment, it seems.

RC Racer
    Ha Yeah, I think the Maxx ĎUltimateí will be about $1500

Olds97, itís all still a bit of a mystery to me, but after a good look over the two sets of diffs side by side, Iím now thinking that Traxxas may have made them incompatible in order to make a set of diffs that are even stronger than the E-Revo 2.0 diffs.

The stock Maxx ring gear looks beefier in some ways than the E-Revo 2.0, but overall the erevo diff is more heavy duty.

Thereís room in the cases to have a heftier gear too, so Iím hoping at this stage that the plan is to make them even stronger. Again, maybe in prep for the wider arms and bigger wheels?

Iíve taken some video of the comparison to try show the differences clearly and will edit it up today if I get time.

Ha Yeah, I think the Maxx ‘Ultimate’ will be about $1500
    I'd believe it!

If I took stock of everything I "upgraded" on my stampede 4x4 to try and make it what the maxx became... it wouldn't be much less! And it's still too small really for the grassy areas I run. Just too much drag without stepping up the electronics to even higher capability... which I really don't want to do because it's already so twitchy on 3S.

I really really wish they made the maxx the same dimensions as the ERBEv2 with the steel driveline. A bit longer, a bit wider, larger wheels and 1/8th scale electronics... I definitely wouldn't have to put too much thought in replacing my stampede with it if that were the case. I would have loved to have had an ERBEv2 sized Xmaxx to run on 6S.

Doesn't really matter... I barely run half the trucks I have now anyway! Would just be one more that sat on the shelf. lol!

RC Racer
    Iím in exactly the same boat and I think a lot of people are too. I think Traxxas knows this as well, theyíre smart cookies.

A lot of people are going to love the size of the Maxx, and it is an awesome size and is definitely well positioned... but for all the people waiting on the E-Maxx 2.0, are they going to buy a Maxx after an E-Maxx 2.0 came out? Probably not???

But, release the Maxx first... and then especially if itís on the same chassis, a lot of people are going to convert it to the larger size, perhaps at the extra expense of spares and upgrades. And that is a good way to recoup development costs.

Not saying thatís what Traxxas is doing, just meaning I can see some reasoning for things to be done this way. Iím just trying to reverse engineer what the plan is so I know whatís going on.

A lot of people are lamenting the lack of love for the E-Maxx and I donít think the Maxx is its direct replacement. I also donít think Traxxas is blind enough to miss the E-Maxx 2.0 opportunity, it just looks to me they are perhaps going about it in a smarter way than we all know just now.

RC Racer
    Oh, I also meant to respond to what you said about the upgraded Stampede 4x4. And again, exactly the same!

With all that said on the effectiveness of that old business model above, of making a selectively weakened product and increasing profit through spares and upgrades... thatís a very well established business model and every manufacturer uses it.

BUT, I think that creates an opportunity for a new and ultimately more effective model... for enthusiasts anyway.

Imagine if a company brought out a model that was everything out of the box that we previously needed to upgrade? Imagine if you could buy YOUR Stampede 4x4 (or equivalent) out of the box... and not have to spend all that time and expense researching upgrades to fix issues etc.

It would be expensive upfront, but people would see the value. I would pay upfront for a decent product, heck Iíd probably ultimately spend more and buy two! And then enjoy spending all that modding time driving

I reckon if a company did that they would wipe the floor with everyone around at the moment. In the enthusiast basher market anyway.

I would love to know the numbers, but Iíd bet you that probably at least 90% of traxxasís revenue comes from walk-in non-enthusiasts. And unfortunately those people are not going to see the value in a true pro level investment up front. They will ultimately end up spending more, but they will buy the cheapest option first.

But the enthusiast market is not insignificant, and Traxxas could even increase profits selling the Maxx (or E-Maxx 2.0) Ďpenultimateí edition.

Iím sure most of us spend money on aftermarket parts when necessarily upgrading. With the quality of Traxxasís driveshafts now they could keep it all in house. Sell the truck with every upgrade included, while weíre at it MAKE IT A KIT, and keep all those sales within the Traxxas brand. Then when we bought spares theyíd be Traxxas, not aftermarket.

I would definitely buy X-ray or Tekno, but what Traxxas is incredibly good at is making FUN vehicles, and I think they are selling themselves short in not making premium kits.

Maybe Iím just a dreamer and the hard reality of the market is very different, but itís always good to dream

I'll be honest, I think the Maxx doesn't really need much out of the box. Some minor stuff to fix some of the stupid things (fans, 17mm axle stubs are nice), but overall it's pretty awesome.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    Yeah I agree, itís definitely awesome and well placed. What Iím mainly getting at is that there seems to be a significant amount of latent capability in the platform.

As you can see from the pic below, the maxx is about twice as beefy, and twice the weight, but is running very similar size wheels and consequently has very similar ground clearance.

Also the narrow width is not making this chassis as stable as it could be.

All that (and the forthcoming wide arms) hint at revealing more of the latent potential of this chassis.

By the way I wasnít meaning cosmetic upgrades above either. More things like alloy C-hubs, decent hardened hinge pins etc.

I think the Maxx is great, Iím just waiting for an E-Maxx 2.0, so Iím trying to see if that is what the Maxx is going to be when it grows up

Yeah I agree, it’s definitely awesome and well placed. What I’m mainly getting at is that there seems to be a significant amount of latent capability in the platform.

As you can see from the pic below, the maxx is about twice as beefy, and twice the weight, but is running very similar size wheels and consequently has very similar ground clearance.

Also the narrow width is not making this chassis as stable as it could be.

All that (and the forthcoming wide arms) hint at revealing more of the latent potential of this chassis.

By the way I wasn’t meaning cosmetic upgrades above either. More things like alloy C-hubs, decent hardened hinge pins etc.

I think the Maxx is great, I’m just waiting for an E-Maxx 2.0, so I’m trying to see if that is what the Maxx is going to be when it grows up

Still, tough to shove 6S in that thing for those of us with saddle packs for the ERBEv2. Just an aggravation.

I'm really happy I converted my ERBEv1 to a v2, but I don't want to go through that again. I did it with the stampede, did it with the ERBEv1, did it with my outcast...

The ERBEv2 out of the box is head and shoulders better than the v1 and I want to avoid all that headache/cost I have gone through with that platform. I really would have liked to have a proper MT like the emaxx 2.0 could be. But I'd prefer to not have to start with a maxx, then double the cost and add a lot of time/effort to get there, but still end up having to buy more packs just to fit the tiny footprint of the maxx and shoehorn in a 1/8th motor/esc...

To me, that isn't worth the hassle when there are many alternatives out there. Would have been nice to see traxxas just crank out a emaxx2.0 and be done with it.

I'm fine just waiting it out to see what happens. Perhaps they will also make an maxx xl and extend it a bit on all dimensions while including a bit larger motor... one can dream!

RC Racer
    Good point on the saddle packs. I wonder if that might be what they keep for the actual E-Maxx 2.0 when it comes? It really seems like the emaxx could be next in line hey.

Itís all very intriguing and entertaining to ponder. A bit like a detective novel

Having only worked on the 1/10 4x4 vehicles (and a little 2wd) for the last 8 years Iím just really enjoying having the chance to work on, and experience, some of the newer work the Traxxas design team has presented. Loving it.

I don't think there will be an E-Maxx 2.0. Did they discontinue the E-Revo before they released the 2.0?

RC Racer

MAXX / E-Revo 2 Driveline Compatibility?

Yeah, I have no idea what will happen, but there definitely seems to be a hole in the Traxxas product line for a standard chassis / suspension setup on full size 3.8 wheels.

To me it would seem strange if Traxxas didnít offer something competitive in that market.

Please keep the conversation to Traxxas products. Thanks! -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-27-2019 at 08:45 PM.

RC Racer
    Apologies Ksb. Will do

I just received my Maxx steel driveshaft set and can finally compare to the E-revo 2.0 driveshafts!

They look solid as a rock. Not quite the size of the erevo shafts, but well balanced for the Maxx size.

So... The stub axel parts are exactly the same, which is great.

The inner hub carrier bearing is smaller on the Maxx however at 17x23x4 vs 17x26x5 on the erevo.

This makes me really really hope Traxxas might offer a HD hub set with the wide arms if they are mounting erevo2 wheels! In my experience these narrower bearings die much quicker than something more substantial like the 17x26x5. Anyway, fingers crossed there.

I did look at the hubs a few days ago though with this in mind and it appears the smaller bearing was used to increase steering angle between the steering knuckle and C-hub. Again, hopefully a bigger bearing is possible with the wide conversion!

Consequently, the CV end of the shaft is the same but the bone and pin are a little lighter duty on the Maxx shafts.

Same with the cup. Narrower diameter, shorter, and with the maxx 7mm outdrive bore vs the erevo 8mm.

They do however look interchangeable if the wide arms are to use the erevo2 parts. Fingers crossed again. (Obviously that would also require diffs with the 8mm outdrives too. I did try the erevo cups on the erevo diff in the maxx bulkheads previously, and there was some very minimal rubbing of the inner cup face to the diff case, but I wouldnít say it would be an issue.)

So, some limited compatibility between the two, but not total.

E-Revo 2.0 parts on the left, Maxx on the right...

Alright, that was quite a distraction from getting the diff vid together, need to get crackin.

RC Racer
    Doh! Forgot one other difference. The pins.

Erevo is 3 x 17.5mm... Maxx is 2.5 x 15.5mm

RC Racer
    Iíve had a good chance to compare the diffs now and have uploaded a vid of the comparison here...

https://youtu.be/1ARcFQJiINM

I’ve had a good chance to compare the diffs now and have uploaded a vid of the comparison here...

https://youtu.be/1ARcFQJiINM
    Well done, you earned a sub!

RC Racer
    Thanks mate! Appreciate it. Iím going to try edit up some driving footage from over the years soon too, just need to get onto it.

I liked your recent Traxxas link / steering travel vid too. Good stuff

RC Racer
    So anyone have any thoughts why the erevo2 diffs might be so close but so far from being compatible?

I did call Traxxas support about this before making the vid (very helpful service by the way) and they had a very definite ďNo, those diffs donít fit those cases.Ē answer.

I couldnít however get any answer to why, when clearly itís soooo close, so that just stoked my interest to investigate further.

I have seen a few pics of erevo2 diffs blown, and this is why Iím wondering if perhaps Traxxas is upgrading them, and steering us toward the newer stronger versions?

If that were so though then the erevo2 may most likely need updated bulkheads to use them, which seems unlikely too.

So... still completely confused about what exactly is going on.

So anyone have any thoughts why the erevo2 diffs might be so close but so far from being compatible?
    From your video, it looks like the Maxx has a higher volume diff that holds more fluid. This should keep the fluid temps down a little bit for more consistency and maybe longer life. It also looks like they flattened the diff ring gear a little bit which again may have allowed a little bit extra volume.

RC Racer
    Thanks mate, I just investigated that after you mentioned it. I could only measure the fluid volume in the cup though. I suppose I could have put the metal ring gear on top for more precision but I didnít feel like getting the metal wet.

I just blocked off the bottom of the diff cup with my finger and filled them both with water from a 10ml syringe.

Both cups took almost exactly 8ml.

However, with no internals that water was filling the spaces for the erevo load spreaders that werenít there, so the maxx would have slightly more fluid volume, but only slightly more.

Thanks for the thought, hadnít thought to look into that.

Thanks mate, I just investigated that after you mentioned it. I could only measure the fluid volume in the cup though. I suppose I could have put the metal ring gear on top for more precision but I didn’t feel like getting the metal wet.

I just blocked off the bottom of the diff cup with my finger and filled them both with water from a 10ml syringe.

Both cups took almost exactly 8ml.

However, with no internals that water was filling the spaces for the erevo load spreaders that weren’t there, so the maxx would have slightly more fluid volume, but only slightly more.

Thanks for the thought, hadn’t thought to look into that.
    Thanks for testing that! No other ideas, the ribbing on the Maxx is different and the shape looked more cylindrical (less tapered) which is why I thought it might have more volume.

RC Racer
    Posted up a vid comparing the driveshafts too.

Forgot to mention in there that Traxxas could opt to cheaply make longer plastic driveshaft sliders, but hereís hoping its metal all the way.

https://youtu.be/IfQPz2FKiHw