RC Racer

MAXX / E-Revo 2 Driveline Compatibility?

Hi All,

Something I've enjoyed as a long term Traxxas user is the wide interchangeability of parts between models.
    I have a number of 2WD & 4WD 1/10 vehicles, and a huge factor in my return business is the parts compatibility. One key aspect of this has been the diff / driveline compatibility between the Stampede / Slash 4x4 and E-Revo / XO-1 platforms.

So, with the introduction of the MAXX, I'm super keen to know if Traxxas has maintained a decent amount of compatibility between this new platform and the E-Revo 2. Given how they have excelled at this in the past I am hopeful!

I have two main queries at the moment...
    1. Driveshaft compatibility
    2. Transmission / Center / Front / Rear Diff compatibility

Hopefully some folks who own both can shed some light on it?!

I've read up here and haven't seen it, apologies if I've missed it on other forums.
    (I've edited up a few pics for clarity and ease of comparison. Images will be displayed scaled down, right click the "(Full Size)" link and open in a new tab to see clearly, or save image.)

1... Driveshaft compatibility. (Pics 1 &2)

Personally, I am simply not going to invest in this truck until a better option to plastic driveshafts are available.

When first checking out the product pics / exploded views I was encouraged by the beefy bearing carriers. But that soon turned to bewilderment noting the inner hub bearing was a relatively weak 12x18x4... and that smaller OD initially led me to believe the MAXX carriers were not compatible with the E-Revo 2's inner 17x26x5 hub bearings.

Upon revisiting though, it seems like the 18mm OD bearing may mount in a deeper recess in the MAXX carriers, and Traxxas may well have sized the larger recess to fit the E-Revo's larger inner bearing? (Pic 2).

The outer hub bearing has the same 16mm OD x 5mm depth, so that seems good to go. Of course the E-Revo dogbones will be way too long and shorter shafts would be required, but it would be encouraging to know where we may be heading.

So, can anyone with an E-Revo 2 confirm or rule it out???

Pic 1 - MAXX Driveshafts (Full Size)

Pic 2 - E-Revo 2 Driveshafts (Full Size)

2... Diff / Transmission compatibility. (Pics 3&4 simplified exploded views - Pics 5-7 comparisons)

Pic 3 - MAXX Transmission (Full Size)

Pic 4 - E-Revo 2 Transmission (Full Size)

Cush drive...

This seems completely compatible except for the different main shaft, (and different stock spur option Maxx 50T / E-Revo 54T).

Diffs...

All diffs seem like there is at least a possibility they may be drop in replaceable to a degree, but there are some observable differences. The most notable is that the E-Revo diffs have one piece (hardened steel) output gears and shafts, and the MAXX mates separate outdrive shafts to the output gear through a pin (Pic 5). The E-Revo 2 diffs also feature the metal inserts between the cross pins and case to distribute load, similar to the older diffs (Pic 6).

Center Diff...

It appears the output shafts may be similar diameters / lengths and may be interchangeable, but, as you can see in the comparison picture between the diff spur / crown gears (Pic 7), there is a difference in the o-ring recesses to account for the differences of the internal gears. This may mean that the MAXX spur will not mate with the E-Revo2 diff internals and require a dedicated spur???

Front / Rear Diffs...

A similar situation occurs with the F/R diffs, but, because the pinion / spurs are both 13/37 (AFAIK)... perhaps the E-Revo diffs can drop in as a whole here???

Pic 5 - Diff Internals (Full Size)

Pic 6 - Diff Cases (Full Size)

Pic 7 - Diff Spur / Crown Gears (Full Size)

Cheers! And looking forward to learning what we have as options here.

(By the way, part number search for MAXX parts is live on Traxxas now too)

RC Racer
    Ha, no sooner posted that I discovered driveshaft placeholders in the hop up parts

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=8950

US$120 a pair?!? (edit... actually $120 for a full set of 4 it seems which is a lot better! Then adding 17mm Hubs https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=8654 and 17mm nuts https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=7758)

A different drive cup to the revo is interesting. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8951 Wonder why that is?

Fingers crossed...

Lots of other placeholders there too for alloy C-Hubs, Carriers etc.
    Last edited by boosta; 10-17-2019 at 12:55 AM.

RC Champion
    Those parts you mention, 5118 BB, are probably in all Traxxas vehicles. They are only ball bearings.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Racer
    For the 5118 (8x16x5) bearing, I was mainly meaning it could easily be swapped into the outer hub position where the Maxx has 5099A (6x16x5) as stock.

What I’m really keen on knowing is whether the larger E-Revo 2 inner bearing fits in the larger inner position of the Maxx hubs, instead of its stock 12x18x4 bearing.

That would indicate that the Maxx metal shafts could use the E-Revo style CVDs.

(By the way, I only discovered later that imgur doesn’t allow viewing the full size images on mobile devices without the app. So if you need more detail on the exploded views above it’s probably best on PC, or saving the image from the imgur app.)
    Last edited by boosta; 10-17-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    (By the way, I only discovered later that imgur doesn’t allow viewing the full size images on mobile devices without the app. So if you need more detail on the exploded views above it’s probably best on PC, or saving the image from the imgur app.)
    Pretty sure you can tap the image and it opens, then double tap to zoom. At least they do on my android phone.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    Thanks for that mate! Good to hear.

I'm on iOS and the mobile imgur site (in Chrome at least) won't link to the full res. Same in Tapatalk, it doesn't seem able to link to full res.

I only embedded thumbnails in the post as otherwise they display massive in the thread and make scrolling a pain.

Bit of a learning curve here, haven't used forums for a while

Some forums auto adjust to a smaller size until you click on it so the format doesn't get all janky. Can't recall if this one does or not.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    That's what I was used to in the past, but when I tried posting full size above it appears like this forum doesn't resize. At least that's what seemed to happen for me here on the desktop site. I'll have to see how it goes posting from tapatalk.

All this is new to me. What I was used to previously was uploading to photobucket, linking to the original file, and everything just worked. Forum would display a thumbnail, and a click would expand full res, as you mentioned above. I'm having trouble finding a simple process like that at the moment. I'll get there

RC Champion
    I have not double checked, but the MAXX f/r drive shafts look suspiciously very similar to the EREVO version 1 drive shafts. But keep in mind, I'm only going by memory. And I'm not sure if the version 1 ERBE exploded views are still available online.

And I believe I was wrong.......☹
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 10-17-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Racer
    Valuable input mate, good to chase down all leads!

I hadn't thought to look at the Revo V1.

RC Champion
    Can't wait to get mine!! New lipos are already ordered......
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Racer
    Traxxas has now updated the steel driveshaft parts listing with images and they are indeed e-revo 2.0 style with the larger inner hub bearing. Still not sure on exact dimensions however.

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=8950

So they should be super beefy on the maxx and also gives me a lot of hope there may be wide arms coming at some stage that would fit the stock erevo2 shaft lengths?

Donít know if that would be too wide but it seems it would make it similar dimensions to the the emaxx or outcast?

No pic yet of the outdrive cups. Very interested why they are a different part number to the revo. Maybe shorter arms need more angle from the shorter shafts so the cups are shorter?

Ok... now need confirmation on diffs and internals...

RC Racer
    Just looking over the pics again and it seems like a difference between the diffs may be the diameter of the output shafts. Much like the original e-revo to stampede 4x4 etc.

As long as other dimensions remain the same this might bode well for making a full drop in exchange possible between front and rear diffs, as long as the steel outdrive cups are cross compatible too.

But it does look like it may throw a spanner in the works for the center diff, as I donít know of any diff spur gear similar to the maxx center diff spur, that has the larger output shaft hole.

Anyone know of a similar part from other models?

I have an erevo2 f/r diff and driveshafts to compare already, and am debating buying a revo2 center diff, but am still waiting on delivery of a Maxx.