RC poster

2wd slash or 4wd

Should I get a 2wd or 4wd slash. I will be doing rumps and driving around in the grass. 2wd slash I can get for 200 4wd is 400.

RC Competitor
    Never heard of rumps, but I think that the 2wd slash is a lot of fun. It also takes more skill to use than a 4x4. 4x4 will be better for jumps, but if you're going 4x4, don't buy traxxas because they are overpriced just for the 4wd capability. I reccomend the arrma senton 3s over the 4x4 slash. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOmar63 View Post
    Never heard of rumps, but I think that the 2wd slash is a lot of fun. It also takes more skill to use than a 4x4. 4x4 will be better for jumps, but if you're going 4x4, don't buy traxxas because they are overpriced just for the 4wd capability. I reccomend the arrma senton 3s over the 4x4 slash. Good luck!

It was ramps oops

RC Qualifier
    The 2wd slash is a very capable machine do what it is, but like others have said above. 4wd will do better with rougher terrain and easier to control
    And handle, but yes the extra cost is a big factor
    Last edited by Dakratfink; 10-17-2019 at 02:56 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by camps552 View Post
    It was ramps oops
    Gotchya. I have a slash 4x4 myself and I actually really dislike shortcourse trucks. Go for a buggy, truggy, or MT imo. The body on the SCT is just too big and bulky. Takes away from the experience. If you really want a SCT, get an arrma, won't be dissapointed. The senton 3s is better than the slash 4x4 in price and performance.

As mentioned, for bashing, 2wd is ok, but 4wd works better. With 2wd, it's hard to get the power to the ground, you end up with a lot of wheel spin. In a skate park it's fine (unless it's the shiny concrete), but in the grass, you spend a lot of your time trying to pick up speed to hit a jump.

All but 2 of my 10 trucks are 4wd, the lone hold outs are my losi micro high roller, which spends all it's time in the house on carpet and my brushless converted jato. The jato is fun, but even with trencher 2.8's on it with 3S, it spends a lot of it's time just spinning the rear wheels in the grass. I usually take it when I'm planning on running at a skate park or if I know for sure the grass at the grass bmx or park is very very short. So usually, I don't run it much except the early spring and late fall when the grass is typically at it's shortest.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    As mentioned, for bashing, 2wd is ok, but 4wd works better. With 2wd, it's hard to get the power to the ground, you end up with a lot of wheel spin. In a skate park it's fine (unless it's the shiny concrete), but in the grass, you spend a lot of your time trying to pick up speed to hit a jump.

All but 2 of my 10 trucks are 4wd, the lone hold outs are my losi micro high roller, which spends all it's time in the house on carpet and my brushless converted jato. The jato is fun, but even with trencher 2.8's on it with 3S, it spends a lot of it's time just spinning the rear wheels in the grass. I usually take it when I'm planning on running at a skate park or if I know for sure the grass at the grass bmx or park is very very short. So usually, I don't run it much except the early spring and late fall when the grass is typically at it's shortest.
    Controlling wheel spin is the key.
    I do enjoy dirt track power sliding my 2wd slash around a shabby softball diamond by my house . To be fair you can drift or power slide a 4wd too ( and I have ) but if you can master the control of a 2wd SCT you will
    Have now trouble driving any other kind of RC

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    Controlling wheel spin is the key.
    I do enjoy dirt track power sliding my 2wd slash around a shabby softball diamond by my house . To be fair you can drift or power slide a 4wd too ( and I have ) but if you can master the control of a 2wd SCT you will
    Have now trouble driving any other kind of RC
    While true... it can also be a headache for a new person to the hobby. I started 18 years or so ago with a xxx-nt, 2wd stadium truck. That wasn't as bad since it was nitro, less low end torque than electric, but it was still a challenge on anything the tires couldn't get pretty good grip on. If I had it to do over again, I'd have started with a 4wd, then perhaps got a 2wd.

I'm still an awful driver, but since I just bash, as long as I can end up in a semi-straight line and hit a ramp, it's all good.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Each offers its own unique driving experience, and both are fun. But, if you do not have a specific reason to get a 2WD, get the 4WD VXL; or, get the 4WD Rustler.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by camps552 View Post
    Should I get a 2wd or 4wd slash. I will be doing rumps and driving around in the grass. 2wd slash I can get for 200 4wd is 400.
    2wd models: have less weight, less parts/more simple, are harder to drive, more fun, less expensive, challenging...etc.

FYI, good luck.
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    2wd models: have less weight, less parts/more simple, are harder to drive, more fun, less expensive, challenging...etc.

FYI, good luck.
    Ditto what Synnergy said. 2WD all the way. Just ditch and sell the Short Course body and get yourself a Baja Bug bod. You'll always end up on your wheels!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugged Out View Post
    Ditto what Synnergy said. 2WD all the way. Just ditch and sell the Short Course body and get yourself a Baja Bug bod. You'll always end up on your wheels!
    Just ordered the Baja big body for my wifeís slash...Iím sure Iíll end up with one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I could have bought either one but chose the 2wd because less parts, faster out of the box and more fun to throw around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    LOL, before it’s over you will have both!! The 2wd slash is a blast, super easy to maintain and lots of aftermarket support so you won’t regret it. Catch ya Rustler VXL 4wd or New MAXX 4wd for a different feel.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashRunner80 View Post
    LOL, before it’s over you will have both!! The 2wd slash is a blast, super easy to maintain and lots of aftermarket support so you won’t regret it. Catch ya Rustler VXL 4wd or New MAXX 4wd for a different feel.
    +1. Eventually your have both, lol. I've got a 2wd and its been a blast. It does take time and skill how to drive something with 2wd and the power depending on if you get brushed or brushless. You can also swap out for skis in the front for the snow that's coming this season. I don't have a 4wd yet myself but hopefully soon I'll have a 4x4 slash to my collection. Really you cant go wrong with either 2wd or 4wd. Great oem parts available plus tons of aftermarket parts out there too.