Thread: New x maxx

RC Champion

New x maxx

My new x maxx comes Friday. I have been out of the hobby for 5 years or so saw this beast and had to have it. Anything I need to know about it. Itís the 8s version thank in advance.
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

RC Qualifier
    Be careful with the stock esc I would suggest upgrading to a hobbywing Max6 esc and donít recommend the traxxas batteries My preference for batteries are the ones smc racing makes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't hit anything with it! LOL

RC Competitor
    Welcome to the money sucking, smile inducing, and high flying life of an X-maxx owner. The stock upper chassis brace brakes a lot for me, but it is only an $8 part so I wouldn't reinforce it because then something else more expensive could end up damaged. Just buy extras. Reinforce the body with shoe goo and fiba tape I didn't and I lived to regret it. The stock servo also needs to be replaced but I recommend running the servo into the ground. Then buy a savox or protek. Sorry for the long response but besides all that have a whole lot of fun.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Competitor
    It doesn’t need anything just charge it up and enjoy.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Be careful with the stock esc I would suggest upgrading to a hobbywing Max6 esc and don’t recommend the traxxas batteries My preference for batteries are the ones smc racing makes
    Be careful why??
    I've been running the stock 8s ESC and the Traxxas 4s 6700mAh battery packs throughout this summer perfectly fine...
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

RC Competitor
    My esc went bad recently after running proline badlands. For a 900 dollar rc the xmaxx is fragile. 6 months of owning and stock esc has burnt up, motor fans burnt up, all 4 stock tires have exploded, and a set of traxxas batteries have gone bad and i don’t even bash mine or jump it.

RC Qualifier
    The Badlands are larger and heavier, hence stress the stock components that much more.

I've had mine for over 6 months too, and my stock tires are perfectly fine, as are all my electronics and fans etc. I also only use Traxxas original 4s 6700mAh batteries - no issues there either.
    Its unfortunate you have had these issues with your truck (for which I'd definitely use Traxxas Support), but I don't think the X-Maxx is a fragile truck, far from it.

Note to OP:
    Get the wireless Link module and use it to update the firmware on your truck.
    Run the truck stock a few times. Refine the shock oil and spring setup according to how you wish to run the truck.
    I would also recommend the Traxxas 2085x servo upgrade (or a stronger servo if you like) as the stock plastic geared one has been known to die reasonably quickly. I swapped mine out as soon as I got the truck before the first run, so I didn't have a servo die, but it seems to come recommended.

A few video guides here: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Upgrades-Build
    Last edited by IftiBashir; 10-18-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    Be careful why??
    I've been running the stock 8s ESC and the Traxxas 4s 6700mAh battery packs throughout this summer perfectly fine...
    In some of the larger xmaxx Facebook groups there are daily stories of the Vxl8s prematurely dying, like within hours of purchase, and still some incidents of them catching on fire. It still happens, you just dont hear about it as much on here as there is only 10-30 of us roughly that post on here regularly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moparcollector View Post
    My esc went bad recently after running proline badlands. For a 900 dollar rc the xmaxx is fragile. 6 months of owning and stock esc has burnt up, motor fans burnt up, all 4 stock tires have exploded, and a set of traxxas batteries have gone bad and i donít even bash mine or jump it.
    I'm not trying to be a smart butt or anything, but my experience has been that a person has to be careful with RTR's. RTR's use to mean Ready-To-Race. Now they mean Ready-To-Run. None of them seems to be Ready-To-Mod, so if a person does decide to change a stock part they have to be mindful of how the other stock components could be effected.

As far as tires, when they start to balloon it's time to let off the throttle. There's no getting out of it. Yes, some tires balloon at slower speeds than others, but still the trick is still to manage their free spinning rotation speed. Fans? Again, generally speaking, if they are kept blown out with compressed air and lubricated, they operate trouble free for long time. If not, none of them last very long...even though some will last longer than others.

Traxxas batteries are actually a good little battery with all of them having very singular spec's. The only problem I have with them is (IMO) they're way over priced. Even at that though, to get the best from any battery (no matter what the brand) you have to store, deep cycle, charge and (most importantly) match them to spec properly when used in pairs.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-18-2019 at 07:03 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    In some of the larger xmaxx Facebook groups there are daily stories of the Vxl8s prematurely dying, like within hours of purchase, and still some incidents of them catching on fire. It still happens, you just dont hear about it as much on here as there is only 10-30 of us roughly that post on here regularly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Fair point.
    Thanks

RC Champion
    Well so far two runs on it I love it. I donít plan on jumping it sky high or anything. Mainly dirt roads while camping or at pismo between riding the quads. Now I need to build my old emaxx for the girlfriend. Not even sure what I can do with the old 3906 emaxx lol.
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

RC poster
    You don't need anything just plug and play! The new Color X-Maxx's have the updated firmware/ ESC so it won't catch fire. That's only for the older ones. The one thing I'd Highly recommend tho is taking the Pinion gear set screw out and making sure it has enough thread locker on it. Because mine lasted about 3 months then the bolt came loose and shredded both the spur gear and pinion gear. Guess it's a known problem with the new ones. Other then that it's great!

RC poster
    Be careful with the stock esc I would suggest upgrading to a hobbywing Max6 esc and don’t recommend the traxxas batteries My preference for batteries are the ones smc racing makes

Why don't you suggest traxxas batteries?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by likametal View Post
    My new x maxx comes Friday. I have been out of the hobby for 5 years or so saw this beast and had to have it. Anything I need to know about it. It’s the 8s version thank in advance.

How it running so far? Any failure yet?

RC poster

why you don't suggest traxxas batteries?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfu-judo View Post
    why you don't suggest traxxas batteries?
    Theyíre overpriced, and anemic compared to others.

Somehow builds are never done....