RC Competitor

Thoughts on my setup??

So I am planning to buy the TRX-4 sport kit and I was wondering what you guys think of my parts list.

TRX-4 sport kit
    Castle Creations Mamba X with 1900kv motor
    Savox SB-2290sg servo
    TQI transmitter with receiver
    Link wireless module
    8118 spare tire mount
    Proline Jeep Comanche body (for crawling the one that it comes with is for show)
    Entire light kit including bumper, roof, and scene lights.
    3 sets of 1.9 Pro-line Hyrax tires

I don't know if I need anything else I'm not an Rc noob but I am a crawler noob so help is appreciated.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Enthusiast
    Get your self a axial scx10 2 kit instead. Get some decent metal beedlocks. The other specs are def nice

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bashing fo fun View Post
    So I am planning to buy the TRX-4 sport kit and I was wondering what you guys think of my parts list.

TRX-4 sport kit
    Savox SB-2290sg servo
    Link wireless module
    8118 spare tire mount
    Proline Jeep Comanche body (for crawling the one that it comes with is for show)

I don't know if I need anything else I'm not an Rc noob but I am a crawler noob so help is appreciated.
    Sounds pretty sweet! We used the savox sw1210-sg, and it seems to get the job done for less money. It also has the advantage of being waterproof.

We also picked up some brass portal housings, which seem to improve overall traction.

Probably not necessary but I just love the quality of the MIP driveshafts, so we got those as well. Theyíre pretty bulletproof, which means my four year old son canít break them with his sometimes reckless driving.

Those hyrax tires are definitely on my list too! Very cool look. That said, winterís closing in on us here in Boston, so I decided to wait on those until next year and get a set of paddle tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Check out my video guides here: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Upgrades-Build

In particular, the brass portals, which come recommended.

As for the light kit, there are cheaper, and better alternatives then the Traxxas Kit. I installed the Traxxas kit but regret it afterwards. Should have went for an alternative with working indicators and different modes etc.....
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

TRX-4 sport kit
    Savox SB-2290sg servo
    Link wireless module
    8118 spare tire mount

Looks like a good list there. That servo is a monster, but there are two things to consider. First, it is not waterproof. Waterproofing is easy enough to do with some silicone sealant and grease, but it looks messy. Second, you will be limited to 6VDC, if you take the RX any higher than that you'll fry it (learned that one the hard way). But, given that this servo is rated at 555oz @ 6VDC, this should not be an issue.

That Mamba-X combo is what I run in my comp TRX4 and Bomber, both have been great. You will likely need to adjust the throttle curve, I have found this combo to be a little twitchy, especially in reverse if you are not very delicate on the throttle. Recommend putting dialectic grease on the connectors for the motor sensor wires, this will waterproof them.

Quote Originally Posted by TY13R5 View Post
    Get your self a axial scx10 2 kit instead. Get some decent metal beedlocks. The other specs are def nice

100% do not recommend this. The SCX10 itself is a decent enough rig, but parts support is getting sketchy for Axial products, and the base model RTR TRX4 comes with a lot better running hardware than a kit version SCX10.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    That must have slipped my mind when I saw how much the 2290 cost and its monster amount of torque I just assumed it was waterproof. What servo do you guys recommend? Also, should I change the Rx to possibly a different brand and if so should I also change the transmitter?

That must have slipped my mind when I saw how much the 2290 cost and its monster amount of torque I just assumed it was waterproof. What servo do you guys recommend? Also, should I change the Rx to possibly a different brand and if so should I also change the transmitter?
    Savox sw1210-sg is a great servo! Waterproof, reliable, and I think it should have enough power for this rig. As far as the transmitter/receiver goes, I like the traxxas one so far. But our sport model isnít very heavily modified, so a basic setup works for us (me and my boy).

RC Competitor
    Thank you, Rc dad I was thinking of going with the Reefs triple 5 or 4. Unless some of you guys have used reefs and they are not very good.

Thank you, Rc dad I was thinking of going with the Reefs triple 5 or 4. Unless some of you guys have used reefs and they are not very good.
    Iíd never heard of that servo, but after watching this video- WOW!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pfMJ09PLQNE

RC Qualifier
    Not cheap are they, but WOW, Just WOW, on the numbers for that thing. I guess a good hitec or even a savox of similar OZ., of torque costs, these appear to be a solid servo with plenty of turning power with a bunch to spare LOL. Good vid and if I were in the market for a new servo that one would be top of the list for sure.

RC Competitor
    Thank you for all the responses. I think I will put a triple5 in my xmaxx and when I do the sport build I will put the triple 4 in that.

RC Competitor
    So it seems like a lot of trx-4 owners think that brass weights on the portals are needed. My question is are they and if they are, do I need to upgrade the axle and portals to metal?

Thank you bashing

So it seems like a lot of trx-4 owners think that brass weights on the portals are needed. My question is are they and if they are, do I need to upgrade the axle and portals to metal?

Thank you bashing
    We put those on our sport model and I noticed a big improvement in climbing ability. It feels much more planted.

RC Enthusiast
    GREAT SCOTT not sure what you have been using but the scx 10 2 kit you can't get any better hardware. The TRX is a non stop upgrade. A 1.9 scx 2 will eat any 2.2 TRX any day. The kit has a bullet proof transmission huge links one of the best stock axles. I had a Bronco TRX and it was non stop upgrades. And you get to pay the traxxtax as we call it something axial that is 10$ is gonna be 35 in traxxas. As for servos the 25kg power HD is the easiest one out there plug n play for the TRX.

Thoughts on my setup??

GREAT SCOTT not sure what you have been using but the scx 10 2 kit you can't get any better hardware. The TRX is a non stop upgrade. A 1.9 scx 2 will eat any 2.2 TRX any day. The kit has a bullet proof transmission huge links one of the best stock axles. I had a Bronco TRX and it was non stop upgrades. And you get to pay the traxxtax as we call it something axial that is 10$ is gonna be 35 in traxxas. As for servos the 25kg power HD is the easiest one out there plug n play for the TRX.

What were the weak points of the Bronco? I have the sport, but have to admit, that sunset paint scheme is pretty sweet looking. Sounds like youíre pretty fond of it, given all the upgrades you mentioned. Any cool pics?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    What were the weak points of the Bronco? I have the sport, but have to admit, that sunset paint scheme is pretty sweet looking. Sounds like youíre pretty fond of it, given all the upgrades you mentioned. Any cool pics?

The biggest downfall of anything above the sport are the locking differentials and 2 speed. Those micro servos are garbage you have up replace all 3. Nothing worse being out on a steep crawl and your rear end is unlocked cause another failure. I had about 3.5k In to my Bronco I got rid of it and got the scx10 ii kit build and I've never been happier.

The biggest downfall of anything above the sport are the locking differentials and 2 speed. Those micro servos are garbage you have up replace all 3. Nothing worse being out on a steep crawl and your rear end is unlocked cause another failure. I had about 3.5k In to my Bronco I got rid of it and got the scx10 ii kit build and I've never been happier.

Ouch! Thatís serious money. I read a lot of similar accounts, which is why I settled in the sport. Does Axial make a simple locked up version like that? I love that deadbolt body style. Very cool...

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah axial are locked front and rear. I would say only go 2 gen and stick with the kit. The new 6x6 is a joke the stuff on that is shameful.

RC Competitor
    Ok well thank you for the help RC dad I might go with the Samix brass portals with the yeah racing axle.

RC Qualifier
    Ok well thank you for the help RC dad I might go with the Samix brass portals with the yeah racing axle.
    Very high quality, albeit not the cheapest either....

https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir