RC Enthusiast

4 tec 2.0 mod 1 gears?

Is there anyway to install mod 1 gears on the 4 tec? Iíve seen YouTube videos of people removing the bearing and re drilling there own holes for the set pin. Surly there has got to be another way right? Iím planning on a speed build and removing that bearing is the last thing I would want to do.
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Get the hot racing 48p 48t spur and get a hot racing 43t pinion(5mm shaft) and get the speed run gear cover from hot racing to allow the large gears.
    The way to do mod 1 is with removing the bearing and leaving it or you could potentially custom and center bearing bracket to support the drive shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking of doing 48p gearing. I just wasn’t sure if it would be efficient enough for the speeds I’d like to achieve. I’m looking realistically 100-130. (I’m hoping 130 is realistic anyway) lol But thank you for the info. I didn’t know about the speed run cover.

If 48p is sufficient enough than I won’t try to make mod 1 gearing work. Personally I think having that extra bearing would be more important. I would think taking that bearing out would cause “play” in the driveshaft. But I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I had mine set up for that I had a max6 and a tppower 4060 in it

RC Enthusiast
    How’s your speed with that motor? I plan on using a tp 3630 (2220 KV)

RC Qualifier

4 tec 2.0 mod 1 gears?

I actually sold it never run but going of the fact fact it would run 6s-8s and putting it in a speed calculator it was in the 120s with the right road to run on (thatís why I sold it) maybe I was going to get a arrma

I would at least use a 40mm dia motor

RC Enthusiast
    So realistically it would run around 100 maybe 100 because of drag... I’m hoping to get a little more speed with my setup here...
    Arrma cars seem to be great cars as well. Maybe in the future an arrma limitless and/or typhon speed build might be in the works for me also

RC Qualifier
    I had a TP Power 4040CM in mine with the Castle MMX esc, and hit 70+mph speeds on 2s. Never got up the nerve to try 4s on it. (what the motor was rated for)

Mod 1 gears are done like you saw on youTube. It has been a few years now so my memory is fuzzy but I believe I used Hot Racing pinion gears as my spur gear due to the more narrow width on them.

Another thing to note is that Traxxas makes a steel center shaft which is a good upgrade over the aluminum one. (which can bend)

RC Enthusiast
    That’s a good point... never even thought about using a pinion for the spur on this set up. That should open up the limited hearing options!

How fast have you been? Itís a long road to 100, best of luck. If your committed you can make it happen. Keep us posted

RC poster
    You can use mod 1 gears on your 4 tec. there are tons of youtube tutorials on how. I run a 17t spur with a 25t pinion Castle mamba x and a arrma 2050kv motor. my top speed is 123. I also use the BSR foams. Don't worry about the missing bearing it will be fine. I did have to cut the top out of my gearbox cover to make room for the gearing, but it is a beast. I can run on 6s like it is on a stock system and it barely gets hot. I get bored of running before I run out of battery (HRB 4000 50c).