RC poster

Upgrade Regular 4x4 stampede or get vxl?

I have a 2wd slash with the vxl system on 3s LiPo. I donít really use it because itís a little too rowdy with that setup. I was wondering if the regular stampede 4x4 can handle the vxl/3s System or should I just get the vxl stampede? Iím not sure what drivetrain and chassis differences the two trucks have.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice0l8ed View Post
    I have a 2wd slash with the vxl system on 3s LiPo. I don’t really use it because it’s a little too rowdy with that setup. I was wondering if the regular stampede 4x4 can handle the vxl/3s System or should I just get the vxl stampede? I’m not sure what drivetrain and chassis differences the two trucks have.
    As far as I know the regular stampede 4X4 chassis is “Brushless ready”
    For some reason the base XL5 2wd comes with bushing instead of ball bearings though. Seriously, even the various Hong Kong brands in Banggood come with ball bearings these days. If the stampede 4x4 doesn’t though, you can just pick up a Fast Eddy bearing kit from Your LHS, Tower or Horizon hobbies .
    That should be the only difference . I know all the Slash XL5 models are Brushless ready I assume the pede 4x4 is as well.
    I hope someone corrects me if I’m wrong

There are more parts but I do know the plastic center drive shaft and the diffs are big differences. That might need upgrading to VXL parts.

RC poster
    i have a feeling by the time I upgrade a regular pede Iíll be at the price of the vxl version.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    All P4des have bearings. The diffs are okay, just slower, same metal etc. Plastic driveshaft yes. The non vxl links are fixed which is not great. I bought a base model roller from a member. Pretty tough truck. Now itís really hard to break it. Anything that has given with this truck, should have sooner with the beating itís taken.

Somehow builds are never done....

Quote Originally Posted by Ice0l8ed View Post
    i have a feeling by the time I upgrade a regular pede I’ll be at the price of the vxl version.
    If you were starting totally from scratch then I might suggest buying the VXL version, since that gives you a better baseline to upgrade from. That is what I did back in 2011 or so. The Stampede 4x4 is a very easy platform to work on however. No need to buy a new complete truck if you already have existing parts that you want to use. It sounds like you are looking to bring over your existing VXL-3s from your slash? If so you might consider buying the cheaper Stampede 4x4 kit and go from there. Or you could find an even cheaper "roller" on ebay, which is basically a pre-built vehicle that has it's electronics, and sometimes other parts, stripped out. Very good starting points in both cases. If you need a controller/radio, you can find those cheap on eBay also.

After I got my Stampede 4x4 VXL back in 2011, over time I upgraded so many parts that all of a sudden I looked into my parts bag and realized that I had most of the parts needed to build a 2nd vehicle from scratch, and so that's exactly what I did. It was easy and cheap. Now even that vehicle has mostly upgraded parts.

Some people buy a Stock 4x4 VXL model and are content with stock parts, and simply use it like that for a long time, only replacing stock parts when they break. On the other hand many are always upgrading parts. If you are the sort of person that doesn't do frequent upgrades then IMO go ahead and make the jump to the 4x4 VXL. On the other hand, if you are going to upgrade many of the parts anyway, no need to pay for a full truck full of stock parts that are just going to end up in your spare parts bag right away.

Finally, consider the tires that come on the Brushed vs. Brushless models. The stock talon tires on the 4x4 VXL aren't that amazing. A very flat tread pattern that is really only good on pavement or other very hard surfaces. Kinda perplexing being the stock tires on a monster truck. On the flip side the stock MAXX 2.8 tires on the Brushed model are almost the opposite. They have a very tall tread pattern that is maybe the closest thing to a snow tire that you'll ever see on a stock tire. That makes it great for loose dirt, grass, etc, but on pavement it's not that great... So consider the surface you will run on.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 10-23-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    All P4des have bearings. The diffs are okay, just slower, same metal etc. Plastic driveshaft yes. The non vxl links are fixed which is not great. I bought a base model roller from a member. Pretty tough truck. Now it’s really hard to break it. Anything that has given with this truck, should have sooner with the beating it’s taken.

Somehow builds are never done....
    The diffs in the brushed Stampede 4x4 have a different gear count than the diffs in the VXL?