RC Enthusiast

Tire recommendations

Any tire recommendations? Something that wonít balloon.

RC Racer
    Badlands mx38?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tire recommendations

These are a little pricy because they are Belted Tired. They look like they should be a great tire. I only have the regular trenchers and they balloon quite a bit. These donít.

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...es-mounted.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Charger Man; 10-19-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    115 mph Heavily Moddified Slash 4x4 on 6s

RC Enthusiast
    I have the badlands mx38. I hate them. The traxxas factory tires are better. I have the badlands on my x-Maxx and love them. No ballooning.

Proline shockwaves. Discontinued, but still can find them. Those balloon the least out of all the tires I've ran. Those belted trenchers mentioned above look pretty legit from everything I've seen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I have the ProLine Trencher 3.8 belted and they are awesome! No ballooning all the way up to 80 mph. You will notice right away that top end speed seems a little lower... This is because the belted tire holds it's form and is a smaller circumference at high RPM. Also if you do big jumps and use throttle / brake while flying for air control, you will notice the belted trenchers have way less air control than stock or non belted trenchers. This is because the expanded ballooning tires have much higher rotational inertia, which is what good air control needs. Luckily I found that both of these initial drawbacks are fix by gearing up to 18/46 pinion/spur. This higher gearing restores the air control, and let's you get up to 70 mph on flat surfaces, which is pretty insane for a monster truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    I have the ProLine Trencher 3.8 belted and they are awesome! No ballooning all the way up to 80 mph. You will notice right away that top end speed seems a little lower... This is because the belted tire holds it's form and is a smaller circumference at high RPM. Also if you do big jumps and use throttle / brake while flying for air control, you will notice the belted trenchers have way less air control than stock or non belted trenchers. This is because the expanded ballooning tires have much higher rotational inertia, which is what good air control needs. Luckily I found that both of these initial drawbacks are fix by gearing up to 18/46 pinion/spur. This higher gearing restores the air control, and let's you get up to 70 mph on flat surfaces, which is pretty insane for a monster truck.
    They are also pretty heavy, 16.96oz per tire vs 14.2oz of the talon ext's. I run the standard 3.8's on mine with a single wrap a 500lb cored kevlar rope down both the main channels. I'm running old electronics on mine (MMv1/2200kv) with 16/54 gearing at the moment. Seems to do alright with very little ballooning. I run the rope in all my 6S trucks (they all run trencher 3.8's) so they don't blow apart or blow off the rim. When I ran 4S, it wasn't that big of an issue, but with 6S speeds... it became an issue immediately.

I run in skate parks, a grass bmx track and parks, so I need something that gets decent grip in the grass, but also holds up to concrete. I have the same on my outcast 6s and savage flux hp on 6s.

They are heavier tires as well, 13.4oz, but lighter than the ext's. I had to gear down to avoid thermaling my esc's and running the motors too hot.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    I will give the belted trenchers a try. Everything I read says good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by FLexus Lexus View Post
    I will give the belted trenchers a try. Everything I read says good things about them.
    Keep a close eye on your temps. The extra rotating mass may bump the temps up a bit.
    Expert rigging at it's best!