RC poster

Traxxas Slash 2WD - Mike Jenkins edition - Brushed/Brushless / Other Spec Upgrades

Hi All,
    I have just purchased a Traxxas Slash for my nephew and was wondering what small mods I can do to boost up its performance a bit without having to go to Lipo.
    We already have Stampedes and a Rustler, so prefer to stay with NIMH batteries for now.

I am looking at getting the Low Centre of Gravity conversion kit, but was wondering if I put a Brushless Motor into it, will I notice any better performance with the NIMH batteries, or do I really need to upgrade to Lipo to notice the difference?

Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    Lipo first and best upgrade! Chuck the stock tyres, and body shell, they're pretty useless. Proline Trenchers are very good. You don't need an LCG chassis.Brushless is a bit quicker but more precious, it's a little fragile and definitely needs an ESC fan.
    The VXL model has far better TX/RX range.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply, though I am tyring to stay away from Lipo's for a year or two until the buy grows a bit and wont burn the house down with the charging process.
    So was wondering, if I put an ESC & Brushless combo in it, (something such as: https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/Hobbywi...Combo-38010203), but keep the NIMH, is it worth the extra couple hundred, or will the Speed gains be negligible?

RC poster
    Reg. "..and body shell, theyr pretty useless"...
    What shell do you recommend so I can see if they are available here in Sydney.
    Thanks.

You will certainly get better performance with a brushless system, even with NiMH batteries. You just won't be able to gear it as high as you could with LiPos due to their more limited discharge capability. NiMH just can't deliver enough amps to get the most out of brushless power. And NiMH+Brushless Motor is certainly better than Lipo+Brushed Motor.

You should expect to get more acceleration, top speed and longer run-times than the brushed stock set-up. Depending on the KV of the motor, you will probably need to increase the gearing from the stock 16/90 to get the extra top speed though. If you want maximum possible performance from NiMH, higher capacity cells (e.g. 5000mAh) will deliver more amps than the stock lower capacity 3000mAh ones.

Unless you plan on racing, I would aim for a sensorless 540 motor in the 3000-3500KV range so the one you're looking at is a good fit and Hobbywing is a reliable brand. Brushless ESCs are always LiPo ready so you can upgrade to LiPo down the track for a bit more oomph and even longer run times.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC poster
    Thanks very much for the detailed response. This is all new to me.
    My local hobby store can install this for me, http://www.ultimatehobbies.com.au/ho...250-28325.html so will try getting it done this weekend.
    Because I am putting Brushless in, do I need to upgrade any other mechanical parts on it due to the more powerful motor?

Quote Originally Posted by AUS_RC_Enjoyer View Post
    Thanks very much for the detailed response. This is all new to me.
    My local hobby store can install this for me, http://www.ultimatehobbies.com.au/ho...250-28325.html so will try getting it done this weekend.
    Because I am putting Brushless in, do I need to upgrade any other mechanical parts on it due to the more powerful motor?
    No, the drivetrain should be fine as it's all-metal and brushless ready. That system should work fine but 4000KV is a bit high for me for a non-race truck, especially if you're not running LiPo, so just watch your motor temps (buy an IR temp gun if you don't have one). Personally I would go for this system instead.

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com.au/ac...p50bl3250.html

RC poster
    OK thanks again, ill see if they have any on the weekend. I was planning on getting a heatsink of fan for it if they stock it.
    BTW, just wondering why there is such a massive price difference between the Traxxas kit and other brands, is it quality reasons, or more an "EcoSystem" thing like Apple does with its iMac/iPads etc?
    For example, For me to buy a branded Traxxas combo in Australia, it is more than double the cost of the HobbyWing branded gear, https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/Traxxas...SC-Combo-3350R
    I had a look to see if I can order from the US, but then I get hit with taxes and the chance of it not turning up and losing my money so even though id prefer to stick with Traxxas, I'm kind of forced to buy other brands due to price.

RC poster
    One other thing I was thinking, if I can find one cheap enough, is it worthwhile me buying a Traxxas VXL-3s ESC so it has the correct mount holes and power connector etc for the 2wd slash, and then I just buy a Hobbywing brushless Motor to use instead of a VXL motor, or is it best to keep branded kit together,

Traxxas is a premium brand name and its products are priced accordingly. Also, unlike like most cheap motors, the Velineon motor is serviceable with a range of replacement components. This feature has value.

Hobbywing is a great value brand though and makes some of the best high end ESCs in the world for RC racers. That particular HW ESC is a little on the weak side though as it only has a 50A continuous current handling capability which is at the very low end of what's out there. As you're planning on running it with NiMH that's less of an issue right now as you'll be forced to keep things relatively tame anyway compared to a LiPo powered set-up. Ideally, it's best to have plenty of current handling headroom in your ESC so it can handle anything the motor can throw at it without breaking into a sweat.

If it were me, I'd be buying a beefier ESC and buying a motor to go with it. Something like the HW SC8-WP is a good option. Here's one down-under for you (I used to live in Perth by the way):

https://www.campbelltownhobbies.com....waterproof-esc

Your local Hobbywing stockist should be able to order these in for you if he hasn't got one.

I bought 6 of these ESCs for my (RC car event/party) business 5 years ago and they're all still going strong. It's a beast of an ESC - 120A current handling, up to 4S LiPo capable and a beefy 3A BEC. It has over twice the current handling capability of the one you're looking at. Interestingly it's aimed squarely at Traxxas owners as it drops straight onto a Traxxas VXL-3S mounting plate (the holes align) if that's important to you. That's not important to me and I normally just use 25mm wide double sided 3M automotive body trim tape as it's heat and water resistant.

As you're not going LiPo, you will need to keep the KV rating down on the motor as NiMH batteries will cook to death with a high current draw. I suggest no more than 3500KV and keep the gear quite low too. If you move up to LiPo (and everyone should) with a HW SC8-WP the sky's pretty much the limit and you could drop in a seriously high powered motor.
    Last edited by Mr Wolf; 10-22-2019 at 09:08 AM.

RC poster
    Ok. Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

RC poster
    Btw,
    My nephew also has Tracxas Stampede and Rustler - all 2wd, am i right in saying your suggested models would also fit on them as well?
    Ill check out my local store this weekend and let u know the outcome.
    (Same scenario- no plans to give him Lipo yet)

Quote Originally Posted by AUS_RC_Enjoyer View Post
    Btw,
    My nephew also has Tracxas Stampede and Rustler - all 2wd, am i right in saying your suggested models would also fit on them as well?
    Ill check out my local store this weekend and let u know the outcome.
    (Same scenario- no plans to give him Lipo yet)
    It fit will any model that has a VXL-3S mounting plate as it has the same mounting screw pattern, unless they've changed the design since I bought mine. If the Stampede and Rustler are not VXL models then you would need to buy VXL-3S mounting plates (parts #3626 and #3725 respectively). Alternatively, just use a quality 25mm wide double sided foam tape like this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Indasa-D...s/391944253665

You might be able to get smaller rolls of this type of tape in Supercheap Auto.

Full details/specs of that ESC are here, pictured in a Slash 4x4.

http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=349

Whereas motors wear out a good quality ESC can last many years if you don't over stress it. This is one area where performance "overkill" is a very good thing.
    Last edited by Mr Wolf; 10-23-2019 at 03:20 AM.

RC poster
    ok, thx. sounds good

RC poster
    Update, I went to the store yesterday and they didnít have the 3250jv so it was an option of either 3000 or 4000kv or wait until next week so he could order in the recommended parts which I didnít want to do so I chose the 3000kv hobbywing combo for now.

Yet to test it out though due to some family matters so once I get home Iíll give it a go.

The installer said he left the gearing standard for now so that I can use it a few times and then take it back for them to tweak up if required.
    Canít wait to get home and give it a try.

RC poster
    Hi All, my nephew finally got a chance to try it out today and it seems to work fine intially, for a minute or 2 and then cuts off the motor but still allows the steering to work. eg, when it stops, the throttle trigger doesnt respond, but the Steering Wheel does make the Front Tyres turn from side to side.
    Co-incidentally, on the same day I got the 3000KV Hobbywing installed in the Slash, I got a 3250KV Hobbywing installed in a Stampede (2wd) on the way home from a different shop. It also seems to be doing the same thing, however lasts a bit longer before it cuts out the motor.... When the motor does stop working, i simply turn it off, wait 5 secs, turn it back on and then the car drives again.
    Both the 2 different stores confirmed that they had configured it for the NIMH type batteries that I am running in it so not sure what else I can do stop it from occurring.

I do recall the Sales guy telling me something about Traxxas Brushless cards not liking NIMH batteries when i originally got the Slash, but just thought that was his typical Sales BS to get me to buy the LIPO batteries,

any suggestions please?

RC poster
    just found this article, should i buy a "glitch buster"
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...EC-Bad-battery

RC poster
    FYI
    The Hobby store found the Slash to not be programmed correctly and changed some settings for LowVoltage Detection due to me still using a NIMH battery. Waiting on feedback from my nephew the test it out.
    As for the Stampede that had similar symptoms, it was set correctly so he put the battery onto his charger and noticed it appeared to be aged and not at its peak level so I need to retest with a new battery.

Btw
    I was told there was no point putting a GlitchBuster/Capacitor on the Buggies since I am using NIMH and not lipos.
    Last edited by AUS_RC_Enjoyer; 11-09-2019 at 11:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nimh batteries have more voltage drop than lipo, even if you setup everything correctly you will still have short driving time with nimh.
    That is my experience. That thing, when car stops and move after some time is time that is needed for nimh battery to recover voltage. Nimh battery just have enough amps to feed 1/10 brushless sistems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Ok, just curious what model motor was your experiences with,
    Did u do anything to resolve or is it pretty much something that I have to live with or change back to Brushed
    I’m already using 5000MAH NIMH batteries.

RC poster
    Also, Do you think i should try one of these: https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/Power-H...Capacitor-RX30 or is it likely to cause more harm than good?

RC Qualifier
    I am sure that you donít need glitch buster for stock servo but itís cheap and wonít hurt to have it.
    I have 3660 3200kv Hobbywing motor in my 4x4 Slash. You can be easy on throttle for more runing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glitch busters have absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

The behaviour you're describing sounds exactly what would happen if the Low Voltage Cut-off protection is not properly disabled. I don't think your dealer has done it properly.

If you follow the instructions in the manual you can check this for yourself and, if necessary, change the setting. You want setting #1 (no LVC) which is indicated by one flash of the LED when you get to the LVC parameter. It's not difficult to do if you follow the instructions carefully.

If it's not this then the ESC and/or battery are faulty.

RC poster
    Ok thanks,
    I'll hopefully get a chance to try again this weekend.They are at my brothers place,

BTW, am i right in saying that we should only have to program it from either the Program Card or by using the Set button on the ESC and not required to set using both methods?
    Last edited by AUS_RC_Enjoyer; 11-13-2019 at 05:53 AM.

Either method works on its own. If you have a programming card then use that as it's quicker and easier.

RC poster
    Ok. Thanks