RC Competitor

Who makes stronger rod ends for the Thaxxas aluminum camber/toe links.

After some rolls and knocks , the alignments get way out of wack. The plastic rod ends get stripped out and pushed in. This shows up as " needing to readjust them. I want stronger ones. Are the RPM ones tougher? Are there aluminum rod ends that go on these Traxxas aluminum rods? Who makes tougher ones? Another option I see is the Traxxas 5525R rod ends.
    Last edited by Moreguns; 10-20-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Don't take this the wrong way, but aluminum rod ends would be an idiotic idea, as you would never be able to adjust them. Metal-on-metal needs threadlocker. As for the RPM ends, they use a softer plastic, so probably not a good idea. A suggestion would be to see if there's a Losi/TLR rod end that would fit, as the Losi plastic is sightly harder than the Traxxas plastic.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I view rod ends as consumables. They sell them in large bags. Iíd just stock up

Somehow builds are never done....

Quote Originally Posted by Moreguns View Post
    After some rolls and knocks , the alignments get way out of wack. The plastic rod ends get stripped out and pushed in. This shows up as " needing to readjust them. I want stronger ones. Are the RPM ones tougher? Are there aluminum rod ends that go on these Traxxas aluminum rods? Who makes tougher ones? Another option I see is the Traxxas 5525R rod ends.
    The setup that Iíve had the best luck with is using the VXL rods with the long plastic rod ends. Titanium rods are also a good option, but probably not necessary. I have a set of the Lunsford rods/links on one of our Rustlers, VXL steel links on the other, and they both hold up well.

You need plastic rod ends in my opinion, to absorb the shock of crashes, otherwise youíre going to end up with broken parts (more expensive than rod ends) elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alot of people say the RPM rod ends are too soft but in my experience they pop off the ball harmlessly before damaging the threads but I wouldn't use them on anything heavier than 2.5lbs because they are not strong enough. I second RC Dad use the long plastic rod ends to increase the friction on the threads to hold their positions better. But will break away before stronger more expensive parts do.

RC Racer
    Iíve had this happening on the steering links of stampede and slash 4x4ís. (Already the longer rod ends). Luckily only on the right hand thread ends, and only pushed in (shortened) so far.

I measured the difference between the end of the rod end hole and turnbuckle at 4mm, so then just ran a M4x4 set screw down to the bottom of the rod end and screwed the turnbuckle up to it. Thatís fixed it so far.

Of course that only works for the right hand thread. I have cut a few 4mm lengths of 1/8 OD brass tubing to throw in the left hand thread rod ends if they slip in.

Iím also searching for slightly longer turnbuckles than stock, such that they have more thread in the rod end to hold both ways.

You could get a similar effect by using the longer rod ends as suggested above I imagine, thatíd probably do it for lighter cars.

RC Competitor
    Our Rustlers weigh 5.4 pounds without battery and 6.6 pounds with the battery.

RC Racer
    That fix above is working so far on our slash 4x4 at 3kg, and monster slash 4x4 at 3.8kg running weights.

Funny thing happened today regarding rod ends...

So our Rustler has a 1/8 motor, and I have a four year old driver who is pretty good behind the wheel for the most part. Well today at the ball field he cartwheeled it about eight or so times and I noticed the top of the LF tire was slammed way in. Sure enough, the camber link (VXL steel links with long rod ends) was slammed deep into the rod end.

Other than that though, and a bent screw (I was planning on swapping it out for some titanium M3ís I picked up a while back) at the shock tower mount, there was no damage to any more expensive parts.

So my vote definitely goes to the long style RPM rod ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk