RC poster

How to make your Revo beach-proof?

Hello guys! Yesterday I went to the beach -yes, it's still sunny and warm over here lol- and it was pretty much empty, so I thought "Why not take my Revo 2.0 for a spin, next time?", although I'm a bit worried about sand getting everywhere and most importantly rust, due to salt water... So my first question is, is it actually advisable to bash at the beach, or should I avoid it? And the other question is, how do I beach-proof my ride? I have read something on the UDR forum about covering the holes on the inside of the rim to make sure sand doesn't get in there and to make a couple small holes on the tire itself, to make sure that sand has a way to escape once the wheel is spinning. Also, I know I should be using WD40 on all the metal parts, if I get in touch with salt water -although, I do plan to stay away from it- to avoid rust. Are there any other tips? Could sand or salt water bother electronics? or the motor? or worse, the diffs? Should I get a chassis "sock" to try and minimize the effects of sand, or are they useless? Thanks in advance for your valuable replies and sorry for the loads of questions

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
    Hello guys! Yesterday I went to the beach -yes, it's still sunny and warm over here lol- and it was pretty much empty, so I thought "Why not take my Revo 2.0 for a spin, next time?", although I'm a bit worried about sand getting everywhere and most importantly rust, due to salt water... So my first question is, is it actually advisable to bash at the beach, or should I avoid it? And the other question is, how do I beach-proof my ride? I have read something on the UDR forum about covering the holes on the inside of the rim to make sure sand doesn't get in there and to make a couple small holes on the tire itself, to make sure that sand has a way to escape once the wheel is spinning. Also, I know I should be using WD40 on all the metal parts, if I get in touch with salt water -although, I do plan to stay away from it- to avoid rust. Are there any other tips? Could sand or salt water bother electronics? or the motor? or worse, the diffs? Should I get a chassis "sock" to try and minimize the effects of sand, or are they useless? Thanks in advance for your valuable replies and sorry for the loads of questions
    Hey there. Great thought of taking the Revo to the beach, wish I had this possibility. As for advisable: whatever delivers the most fun to you. For me, maybe 60% of the hobby is working on my cars, so I don't really worry too much about breakages and I'd run the heck out of my mine on a beach, if one was nearby.

Coming to tires, if water (or maybe even sand) get into them, they can be really thrown off (huge wobbling, inbalance) and tend to tear apart rather quickly. I have read the same thing you mentioned about the tire "venting" on the x-maxx forum. I do cover the holes in wet conditions, haven't made holes into the rubber though, but seems people achieve excellent results with doing that. WD40 never hurts But if you're running on a beach, you don't have to make direct contact with salt water, as there is already a lot of it in the air itself. Proper cleaning will help to extend the lifespan of your parts.

Sand can be pretty rough if it finds it's way into gears / diffs etc., a dust protection helped me a lot (my opinion) when driving in gravel pits or dirty conditions. As mentioned at the start, if you're having fun, you're doing it right
    E-Revo 2.0
    E-Revo VXL Brushless 1/16

RC Qualifier
    Iíd advise against it if you truly value your vehicle. There isnít much you can put on your vehicle to keep the salt air and water from wrecking havoc on it. Been there and wonít do it again. Itís just not worth the trouble IMO. Have at it if you want, but be forewarned that it can and most likely will rust every screw on the thing. And the sand gets into everything and everywhere. It was fun, but the cleanup was not!! You can try putting dry lube on every screw and possible part. It will help keep any sand from attaching to it. Bit like I said, the salt air and water just does a number on the screws. A total tear down will be needed to make sure you donít end up with seized bearings and parts. Just my experience with beach running near the ocean. At any rate, if you donít mind a tear down and spending a lot of time getting sand out of it, then go for it!!