RC Qualifier

Very frustrated with batteries - input please

So frustrated. My son and I have had our Slashes for quite some time now. Mine since 11/15 which seems to have the frequent battery problems. I seem to go through so many battery packs to where the Slash starts to brown out, stutter, and the battery doesn't last very long. I don't feel like I overrun the batteries past their dump. Buy a new battery, problem solved. Here are the specs:

Slash 2wd Velineon
    Stock ESC, servo, receiver
    HiTech X1 charger - charge batteries at 4.5 amps
    Proline Badlands
    Traxxas NiMh 8.4v 5000mah battery. Purchased 4/5/19. Used only 7 times. Do not leave discharged. Went bad this month.

I don't want to give up this fun past time with my son, but it is becoming so frustrating. This battery only lasted 6 months and 7 runs. I bought it at my LHS for $65 with tax. I can't keep justifying buying new batteries every 6 months.

Is my LHS selling batteries that have been sitting for months and are bad?
    My son's batteries (the same NiMh 5000mah Traxxas batteries) don't seem to have this problem. Could my ESC, servo, or receiver be causing pre-mature battery failure?

Put my battery in my son's Slash and it's slow as well. Put my son's battery in my Slash and it runs fine again.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

RC Qualifier
    It all depends on how long the hobby shop had the batteries in their shelf. If they were there for a long time then it’d very possible that they discharged and never fully got back what they were when new. You may want to look into some different ones or buy from a different place. I would also suggest looking into some lipo batteries if possible. You’ll get better run times and less voltage sag under load as well. Cost is pretty much the same or possibly less for lipos these days. Just some food for thought. Not sure what ESC you are using, but most of them can run a 2s lipo as the voltage is the same as an 8.4v NIMH. If your ESC doesn’t have a low voltage cutoff you can get around this by getting some cheap low voltage alarms. Cost us less then $10. All this might seem a bit complicated, but in the end it will result in better run times and a lot less voltage sag under load as well as not having such issues as you are now. JMHO.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    It all depends on how long the hobby shop had the batteries in their shelf. If they were there for a long time then it’d very possible that they discharged and never fully got back what they were when new. You may want to look into some different ones or buy from a different place. I would also suggest looking into some lipo batteries if possible. You’ll get better run times and less voltage sag under load as well. Cost is pretty much the same or possibly less for lipos these days. Just some food for thought. Not sure what ESC you are using, but most of them can run a 2s lipo as the voltage is the same as an 8.4v NIMH. If your ESC doesn’t have a low voltage cutoff you can get around this by getting some cheap low voltage alarms. Cost us less then $10. All this might seem a bit complicated, but in the end it will result in better run times and a lot less voltage sag under load as well as not having such issues as you are now. JMHO.
    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, lipos are not an option but thank you for the suggestion.

RC Enthusiast

Talking About the batteries.

You might look around and buy some different batts on lune from a main hobbies,that where i get my batteries and get the most luck...

Did you run the packs down to the point where the truck could no longer move (or close to it)? If so, this is what is killing your packs.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Did you run the packs down to the point where the truck could no longer move (or close to it)? If so, this is what is killing your packs.
    That's bad for lipo's, but I didn't think that affected NiMH packs much. I was always under the impression that you store them stone dead. As it is, for my receiver packs in my nitros, I hook them to a bulb until they are dead (no more light), let them cool, then charge. I do that usually twice every spring to refresh them from sitting all winter and never had much issue.

I didn't get into electric until the past 3 years when lipo has pretty much dominated, so never ran NiMH sub-c packs in anything.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I haven't been, although I let my son and his friend drive our two Slashes outside unsupervised for a while. It's possible his friend wore my battery down too much. But if I recall it wasn't noticeably run down. What else could it be? Should I charge the batteries at a lower amp instead of 4.5? They do seem to get pretty hot when charging.

NiMH batteries don't develop "memory" like the older NiCaD batteries did. But sometimes need "refreshing" by power cycling them if left stored for periods of time. I am pretty sure your HiTech X1 has "Cyclic Charging/Discharging". Have you tried that yet?

Yes if the cells become overly warm it is a good idea to reduce the charging rate. Heat is an enemy to the chemistry of most batteries. Also running a fan near by to put a breeze over them will help.
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-22-2019 at 02:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    NiMH batteries don't develop "memory" like the older NiCaD batteries did. But sometimes need "refreshing" by power cycling them if left stored for periods of time. I am pretty sure your HiTech X1 has "Cyclic Charging/Discharging". Have you tried that yet?

Yes if the cells become overly warm it is a good idea to reduce the charging rate. Heat is an enemy to the chemistry of most batteries. Also running a fan near by to put a breeze over them will help.
    I'll try all of these options. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post

Yeah, that's kind of what I did with the light bulbs and receiver packs. I didn't have a charger that would discharge until I got lipo's. If they don't hold a good charge after that, then I ditch them and get new ones. Usually last a few years, and that's just cheap $16-20 ebay special receiver packs.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Try charging them at 1a. A slow charge. See if it helps any after you do this. You may have reduced the overall mah of the battery by getting it too warm or hot. Like said, heat is the enemy of batteries of any kind!!

RC Qualifier
    So I went ahead and bought a new Traxxas 9.6v 5000mah NiMh battery from Amazon via Dollar Hobbyz. I plan on charging it at 2 amps and making sure not to let it even get close to running it down too far. Also bought an Asurion 2 year protection plan for it that was offered so hopefully that's honored if the battery fails. Fingers crossed. My son's battery has lasted since January of this year.

RC Qualifier
    When you first get it, charge it at low at a low amperage. Like no more then 1a. This will ensure that it doesn’t get hot while charging. Heat is bad for them as with all batteries. It will take longer to charge, but it will ensure that it doesn’t get too warm and cause the cells to fail prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by 55Chevy View Post
    So I went ahead and bought a new Traxxas 9.6v 5000mah NiMh battery from Amazon via Dollar Hobbyz. I plan on charging it at 2 amps and making sure not to let it even get close to running it down too far. Also bought an Asurion 2 year protection plan for it that was offered so hopefully that's honored if the battery fails. Fingers crossed. My son's battery has lasted since January of this year.
    I am pretty sure Asurion only pays out at a prorate on batteries so the older they get the less they pay hitting $0 around 2 years on most. The warranty in most cases is better.