RC poster

Traxxas Part # 6491X vs 6491R ??

https://imgur.com/a/ALHc8Hf Anyone know the difference between these 2 pinon gears? Or any of the other Traxxas X vs R parts? Is the R stronger material cause it does cost abit more then the regular steel X parts. Was looking all over no one seems to know. Any help would be great cause it's going in my X-Maxx. Last steel 6491X pinion set screw slipped off and destroyed my spur gear and it self last time. Both are 18t.
    Last edited by NeonX1; 10-22-2019 at 02:10 AM.

I think one is for the original 6s Xmaxx, and one is for the newer 8s Xmaxx.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonX1 View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/ALHc8Hf Anyone know the difference between these 2 pinon gears? Or any of the other Traxxas X vs R parts? Is the R stronger material cause it does cost abit more then the regular steel X parts. Was looking all over no one seems to know. Any help would be great cause it's going in my X-Maxx. Last steel 6491X pinion set screw slipped off and destroyed my spur gear and it self last time. Both are 18t.
    The difference is one is made from metal forming (6491X) and the other (6491R) is machined. These are two different processes that each have their own advantages and disadvantages in the production stage process.

Machine processing is usually the more expensive production method but not always necessarily the best choice for the application or use at hand. Metal forming is usually the cheaper process and has its advantages during production but is not always the best choice either for an application.

It just depends on if you intend the pinion to contact another metal material (spur) or plastic material (spur again) that would determine the best pinion to use. If metal to metal, your best bet would be the machined pinion 6491R.

Although Traxxas does mention that each pinion is compatible with steel spur gears, they neglected to mention which one is more compatible with a plastic spur gear - in this case, that would be the 6491X.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 10-22-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Ccorrected an error.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC poster
    Ahh okay that makes more since thanks for the answer! Yeah it will be going on another steel spur gear (Hot racing 54t). The X-Maxx I got is the new orange edition came with the 6491X pinion which it held up pretty good only lost 1 tooth while managing to shred the whole big steel spur gear. Pretty strong but not sure if I trust it again so will be throwing the R one in.

RC poster
    Ahh okay thanks for the answer! That makes more sense. The 6491X came in my new orange X-maxx but the small pinion bolt holding it on came loose and destroyed the spur gear . Only 1 tooth got messed up on the pinion which isn't bad but yeah not using the X one again. Here's a Pic https://imgur.com/VpXkjel