RC poster

2019 V4 Traxxas X max

Hello everyone

I looking to buy one for my son for Christmas.

1) Traxxas LiPo Power Cell Battery 6700mAh 14.8V (4S) with Traxxas Connector ( quantity 2)
    2) X-Maxx RTR 8S-Capable Brushless 4WD 1/5 Monster Truck, Rock-N-Roll
    3) Traxxas EZ-Peak Live 12-AMP NiMH/LiPo Charger

I'm researching on this model. I heard they have issued with servo burning out and catch fire even with the latest model. Is this true?

Anyone have any issued with your 2019 model purchased?

RC Competitor
    Esc burns up

That's all news to me.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I don't know about catching fire. Sounds like you heard some Tall Tales. The stock servo did go bad on me and I replaced it with the 2085x.

RC poster
    I guess it true with the failure. 1,400 USD shouldn't have failure. Is 2019 Arma Kraton 6s any good? I really like the Traxxas XMAX.

I also browse though this forum on Traxxas EZ-Peak Live charger is having issued too. So what going on with Traxxas Quality?
    Last edited by kungfu-judo; 10-22-2019 at 08:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like someone is Trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfu-judo View Post
    I guess it true with the failure. 1,400 USD shouldn't have failure. Is 2019 Arma Kraton 6s any good? I really like the Traxxas XMAX.

I also browse though this forum on Traxxas EZ-Peak Live charger is having issued too. So what going on with Traxxas Quality?
    The only issues I've had with any of my cars is servos! Then again, I don't jam the most powerful batteries I can find in them either.

I'm not sure where the $1,400 figure comes from either...my X-Maxx was $899 nib.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    The only issues I've had with any of my cars is servos! Then again, I don't jam the most powerful batteries I can find in them either.

I'm not sure where the $1,400 figure comes from either...my X-Maxx was $899 nib.
    all these come up to $1,400:

1) Traxxas LiPo Power Cell Battery 6700mAh 14.8V (4S) with Traxxas Connector ( quantity 2)
    2) X-Maxx RTR 8S-Capable Brushless 4WD 1/5 Monster Truck, Rock-N-Roll
    3) Traxxas EZ-Peak Live 12-AMP NiMH/LiPo Charger

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I got all these info from this forum. I might mistaken servo was burn up
    but I meant ESC.

*Since this forum is paid for by Traxxas and free to us it will gravitate heavily toward a pro-Traxxas bias. Comments that I edited out only provoke hostility. Please keep it civil.*
    Last edited by Double G; 10-23-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Sounds like the X-Maxx isn't for you...I'd keep looking if I was this upset about something.

RC poster
    Sounds like the X-Maxx isn't for you...I'd keep looking if I was this upset about something.
    Thanx for your honest answer. try dig up the truth before I spend 1400 for my son and it goes out him and have to spend more money on replacing parts.

Will hobby shop will replace for free if I buy local. What the warranty on this and how is traxxas support?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    i can't speak for your hobby shop, but inside of 30 days traxxas will pretty much take care of you. once your truck is over 30 days old if your ESC does catch on fire or fail you'll be on your own, traxxas won't replace it. you should also be ready for an aftermarket ESC in your total cost here.
    Thank you for your response.

Why they didn't swap out ESC if they known is an issued? I saw in this forum it has happen in 2018 model too and thought they will fix it with the new 2019 model. Wow I really want to get this truck i think with the paddle tire ridding on water is pretty cool and my son will loves this but for 1,400 and paid extra out of it to fix a defective part. I think I will get the Arma Kraton 6s then.

I think I will get the Arma Kraton 6s then.
    That's probably for the best. It seems from the start that was your preference.

The Kraton and XMaxx are in two different leagues - roughly 1/8 vs 1/5 scale. Yes, the 6s X-Maxx had ESC issues that resulted in its recall and a year after its debut the 8s came out as well as the 8s upgrade kit to the 6s X-Maxx. The 8s fires are very few and far between and Traxxas customer support is very helpful with issues even when they are "out of warranty."

In the end it is your money and you have every right to decide if you want to drop $900 for the X-Maxx or $550 for the Kraton (prices for the rigs alone, before supporting parts to make it run).

Regardless, the initial purchase of the truck, batteries and charger will not be the only money you lay out. You will be purchasing replacement parts and Arrma has its issues with electronics as well. Feel free to peruse the Arrma forum and you will see.
    Last edited by Double G; 10-23-2019 at 08:14 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I will be more worry about how your son will be charging and discharging the lipo than any ESC fire issues. Doesn't matter if he is under 14 or over 50.

If you do get the Kraton, a hammer at home will be handy too.

RC Qualifier
    That and as far as Iíve heard the ESC fire issue has all but been solved with firmware updates. The Arrma vehicle will be harder to get parts for locally. Youíll have to order extras of everything that is known to break unless you like waiting for parts. Most any and all hobby shops carry traxxas parts on the other hand. Not sure if that is an issue for you, but most would agree waiting for parts is not fun. You get what you want, but the Xmaxx is one of the toughest vehicles made today. If you donít think so, watch a few vids of them jumping off skate ramps. There is a reason itís highly sought after. Expensive, yes, but so is any other RC of the same size. JMHO.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    That and as far as I’ve heard the ESC fire issue has all but been solved with firmware updates. The Arrma vehicle will be harder to get parts for locally. You’ll have to order extras of everything that is known to break unless you like waiting for parts. Most any and all hobby shops carry traxxas parts on the other hand. Not sure if that is an issue for you, but most would agree waiting for parts is not fun. You get what you want, but the Xmaxx is one of the toughest vehicles made today. If you don’t think so, watch a few vids of them jumping off skate ramps. There is a reason it’s highly sought after. Expensive, yes, but so is any other RC of the same size. JMHO.

So they fix with Firmware for 2019 model? how much is ESC cost if it break down?

RC Champion
    So they fix with Firmware for 2019 model? how much is ESC cost if it break down?
    Depends which esc you want,
    Popular choice is max6 or Max5 they start from $140-200
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC Competitor
    Esc problems aren’t common any more.

RC poster
    First thing I would do is make sure esc, receiver, and transmitter are updated using the bluetooth module and the app then drive it. My Xmaxx is bone stock and I have been running it hard for 5 months absolutely no issues. Stock esc, steering servo ( with plastic gears) and it's been absolutely flawless. I'm not saying failures can't happen but honestly just run it.

RC poster
    If it run with stock parts with Paddle tire to run on water. Does this X MAX need any upgrade to do this?

RC poster
    what is is best Lipo 4s 6700 battery and charger for Traxxas X Max ?

RC poster
    Thank everyone for your replies. I think I'm going with something else for 1,400 is not durable like they advertise. I saw this video and it was his first run and the drive shraft broke and he didn't do any heavy bashing at all. ESC and servo issued and this very bad quality from Traxxas so they can sell more parts it all about money I guess. I really want this so bad for my son but I guess it not for me because of all these issued not worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-6OcXnzDQk
    Last edited by kungfu-judo; 10-23-2019 at 10:14 PM.

RC Competitor
    I would go for a Slash or an E Revo. They both go about the same speed as the X-Maxx, but they are lighter, which means it is harder to break parts in a crash. They are also cheaper and as far as I know, the slash is pretty durable except for the suspension arms. I've snapped quite a couple of those but they are $10 for two of them and very easy to replace. I don't own a E Revo but a friend of mine does, and he says it's very durable.
    The floor is there to catch your RC, not break it

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The Kraton and XMaxx are in two different leagues - roughly 1/8 vs 1/5 scale. Yes, the 6s X-Maxx had ESC issues that resulted in its recall and a year after its debut the 8s came out as well as the 8s upgrade kit to the 6s X-Maxx. The 8s fires are very few and far between and Traxxas customer support is very helpful with issues even when they are "out of warranty."

In the end it is your money and you have every right to decide if you want to drop $900 for the X-Maxx or $550 for the Kraton (prices for the rigs alone, before supporting parts to make it run).

Regardless, the initial purchase of the truck, batteries and charger will not be the only money you lay out. You will be purchasing replacement parts and Arrma has its issues with electronics as well. Feel free to peruse the Arrma forum and you will see.
    Good job! Plus Traxxas Support is really good. My experience with them has always been that in many cases they offer free replacement after 30 days. They don't have to, but they often do.

I guess it true with the failure. 1,400 USD shouldn't have failure.
    I've never seen any basher truck (no matter what the scale or manufacturer) never break or wear out parts. That's just the way it is. Plus, a person doesn't have to spend top dollar for a 900 dollar Xmaxx and 500 dollars for it's support supplies. They can easily get an Xmaxx for 800 dollars, and not go with Traxxas batteries and a charger for 300 dollars. That's an easy savings of 300 dollars.

Like you say, Double-D, comparing a 1/5th scale expense to the expense of 1/10 scale is like comparing apples to pastrami sandwiches. A 4s - 1/5 scale truck is always going to be more expensive to own and operate than a 6s - 1/10 scale truck. The question is, does this young man want to hang out with the big dogs or the little puppies. (IMO) if a person has the money, it's better to hang out with the big dogs.

The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    yep thats all this was

Here's my issue with the video: he showed light bashing and speed runs for the first half, then "unfortunately" did not catch the crash and showed only the resulting damage. He had to have hit it hard on the right rear tire for the carrier (not the driveshaft you mentioned) to snap that way and auger the left front side of the shock tower into the ground due to the embedded dirt and grass shown.

Crazy things do happen. We don't get the whole story and automatically assume the owner's word is the 100% truth. Parts break during light bashing. Parts break during heavy bashing. Parts don't break in either case. Parts could be injured in heavy bashing only to snap with the right forces under light bashing. Read through the threads and watch videos and many will attest the X-Maxx is a very durable machine but not unbreakable.
    The Super Derecho

Right from the beginning, it felt as though they never really wanted the X-Maxx.

RC poster
    Right from the beginning, it felt as though they never really wanted the X-Maxx.
    Lol u so bias u need to grow up. I got my answer in here And other forum so i made my decision
    Not to get this bad quality product. U all can said what u want but you all need to grow up.

Now this is closed on the account of multiple violations of community behavior.
    The Super Derecho