RC poster

3 tone + 1 return to home on rebuilt Aton

Hello,
    I have a Traxxas Aton that I just sent in to Traxxas for a random RTH. Traxxas did a great job and replaced the flight control board, gps board, esc and they even replaced the main frame that I had cracked by hitting a tree. I flew the new drone 6 times with 6 fully charged 4000 mah batteries with no problems. On the 7th flight about 5 minutes into the flight I got a 3 tone + 1 return to home when I had the drone out maybe 200-250 feet. This happened 3 more times on the same battery. I know the 3+1 tone means radio loss of signal but in the app I adjusted the geo fence to 800 feet and on the next battery it did not do the RTH. I thought that was kind of weird since the geo fence should have nothing to do with radio interference and I havenít flown it since because itís really windy today. Should I contact Traxxas again about this problem even though they just fixed it for free? I hope the RTH doesnít get as bad as it was before where it would happen 6 times per flight about 20 feet away from me.

RC poster
    Just to update this, I have flown on 2 more battery packs with no problems. So maybe the geofence was triggering the RTH? I still think that is unlikely since I was getting a 3 +1 tone and I had flown it further on earlier flights when the geofence was set at 500 feet. I also looked on google earth and it looks like the 3 other RTH were at about 250 feet out not 500.

RC Qualifier
    Slightly off topic, but how is the flying weather in MN this time of year ? I’m right next door in ND and while I’m mostly driving land based stuff right now, my fingers still get a little chilly by the time a battery pack runs out

RC poster
    Today it is Sunny and beautiful at 54 degrees. It is windy though so I am not flying. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 59 and less wind. Colder on Sunday and next week in the 30s. I have fingerless gloves I will be wearing when it gets cooler.

RC poster
    Just an update I flew the drone 4 times today and I got a couple RTH’s but I was able to use the airbrake to stop them but on the last RTH I was flying pretty far away with half full batteries in the transmitter and I wasn’t able to stop the return to home. This was kind of scary so I hope it was just that the batteries in the transmitter were dead. I replaced the batteries and it flew pretty good for about 8 more minutes. I think I have gotten a RTH like this in the past with low batteries so I hope it’s no big deal.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sktebrder24 View Post
    Just an update I flew the drone 4 times today and I got a couple RTH’s but I was able to use the airbrake to stop them but on the last RTH I was flying pretty far away with half full batteries in the transmitter and I wasn’t able to stop the return to home. This was kind of scary so I hope it was just that the batteries in the transmitter were dead. I replaced the batteries and it flew pretty good for about 8 more minutes. I think I have gotten a RTH like this in the past with low batteries so I hope it’s no big deal.
    Hopefully it was just the transmitter batteries

RC poster
    I have maybe 5 or six flights with the new batteries and no problems so far! I really like my Aton and have about 20 hours of film footage with my GoPro. I am trying to get used to sport mode but it is pretty sensitive for sure!