RC Qualifier

Shock Oil and springs

I know the springs aren't out yet but did anybody change the oil yet

RC Enthusiast
    Yes...much better. RTR setup is 30wt as I understand. Very under dampened.

I did front Losi 40wt and rear Losi 50wt. That is contrary to most racing setups - front usually has a stiffer spring and heavier oil than the rear. The Maxx has softer springs in the front than the rear.

Also, I moved the lower shock out at the arm on all four corners to lower the CG. I'm running drive shafts level with battery and body on. Truck is almost perfect.

The front oil still feels a pinch soft for the spring, so I might go to Losi 45wt in front...but it's close, very close.

Something to note, that most are interested in. This eliminates a lot of the dumping in turns, the chassis runs much, much flatter in the corners.

RC Qualifier
    I'll try it thanks

RC Qualifier
    Moved the shocks out does handle better

RC poster
    Traxxas actually does have 1.4 and 1.2 springs out as of now, I just got mine in the mail today. I also put 40WT oil in front and 50Wt in rear. I just installed the springs and also moved the shocks to the outside hole prior to getting the new springs that definitely made it better. Hopefully tomorrow I can try the new springs out.

RC Qualifier
    Captrons71 thanks for the update

RC Racer
    Captrons71, are the springs 8966 (1.2 rate front) and 8967 (1.45 rate rear)?

Are they the stock springs?

RC poster
    boosts, they are not the stock springs. The 1.4 are definitely stiffer than stock but the 1.2 seem close to stock maybe a tad softer than stock. I wasn't sure what the stock springs were so for 8 bucks I took a chance. And yes those are the part numbers.

RC poster
    I see traxxas is also making a 1.7 springs but those are out of stock right now. Just a FYI

RC Racer
    Thanks mate. Quite keen to see what springs are going to be around as I can’t find them.

Where are you seeing the 1.7’s listed?

This is what I'm running:

youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster
    Boosta traxxas part number 8969 are the 1.7 springs. Great tips RazorRC22, mine is almost dialed in I did some of the things you did as well except the center diff fluid which I will try next.

RC Racer
    Excellent! Good to see them there. Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by captrons71 View Post
    boosts, they are not the stock springs. The 1.4 are definitely stiffer than stock but the 1.2 seem close to stock maybe a tad softer than stock. I wasn't sure what the stock springs were so for 8 bucks I took a chance. And yes those are the part numbers.
    In the Maxx Parts List:

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...76-4_parts.pdf

it lists 8966 and 8967 as the stock parts on page 3:

8966 Springs, shock (natural finish) (GT-Maxx®) (1.210 rate) (2)
    8967 Springs, shock (natural finish) (GT-Maxx®) (1.450 rate) (2)
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    Just saw this vid running Losi 100wt in the shocks. Had to tell how it goes though as the jumps are small (one handed driving).

https://youtu.be/dw7oYVATOLU

It’ll be interesting if the truck needs oil this heavy to not bottom out so easy. It looks nice and firm anyway.

RC Racer
    On another note, does anyone know the diameter of the pistons?

And whether there are any aftermarket bypass pistons that would fit?

I’ve really liked the bypass pistons on the stock 1/10 plastic and the GTR shocks. Would be keen to try them in the Maxx shocks too. Especially if the oil weight is really getting up there to stop the chassis bottoming so easy.