RC Competitor

how to get low speed and brake holding.

what factors contribute to getting good control of slow speeds and good holding brakes on steep angles up or down. thanks for any replies.

The biggest things are the ESC, motor, drive reduction and weight of the truck.

The XL5 (in mode 5) and Titan motor have an ok drag brake, but on steeper angles it will the wheels to rotate. It also depends on what gear you have your TRX4/6 in, in high gear you will get a lot of drag brake slippage, in low gear the drag brake will hold a lot better.

You can do better through, a good brushless system like a Mamba-X with a low KV motor will just about hold on any angle. My Bomber with its big 2.2's will slip somewhat, but my TRX4 doesn't move.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    A sensored brushless setup would be the best bet other then a crawler type brushed one. There are other threads that have what motor/ESC works well in the TRX4 trucks. Utilize stage brake on most ESCís helps tremendously with climbing and descent holding. Some ESCís even off a type of incline hold, whether it be climbing or descending. Look into castle creations Mamba X ESC paired with a low KV motor, say around 2000kv or so. They have a good combo that I am pretty sure fits the TRX4 and vehicles like it. At almost 7.5lbs, itís a toss up between the Mamba X and the Mamba Monster X sensored ESC/motor combos. Some will say go with the Mamba X, others the Mamba Monster X. Do a search here on the forums and you should be able to find a recent thread which has all this info. If you donít want to go brushless, they also make brushed motor ESCís made for crawlers that will have the incline hold feature you are looking for. Do a google search and see what pops up for both brushless and brushed setups. I personally would look into a brushless setup, they are more efficient, and youíll find that you will get longer run times due to this. Also make sure you get good batteries. For lipos I recommend SMC. Not sure too much about NIMH anymore as it has been years since Iíve used them. Hope this text wall helps some. Good day and enjoy your TRX4.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The biggest things are the ESC, motor, drive reduction and weight of the truck.

The XL5 (in mode 5) and Titan motor have an ok drag brake, but on steeper angles it will the wheels to rotate. It also depends on what gear you have your TRX4/6 in, in high gear you will get a lot of drag brake slippage, in low gear the drag brake will hold a lot better.

You can do better through, a good brushless system like a Mamba-X with a low KV motor will just about hold on any angle. My Bomber with its big 2.2's will slip somewhat, but my TRX4 doesn't move.
    thanks i just wanted to reassure my self i was looking at the things to improve on.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    A sensored brushless setup would be the best bet other then a crawler type brushed one. There are other threads that have what motor/ESC works well in the TRX4 trucks. Utilize stage brake on most ESC’s helps tremendously with climbing and descent holding. Some ESC’s even off a type of incline hold, whether it be climbing or descending. Look into castle creations Mamba X ESC paired with a low KV motor, say around 2000kv or so. They have a good combo that I am pretty sure fits the TRX4 and vehicles like it. At almost 7.5lbs, it’s a toss up between the Mamba X and the Mamba Monster X sensored ESC/motor combos. Some will say go with the Mamba X, others the Mamba Monster X. Do a search here on the forums and you should be able to find a recent thread which has all this info. If you don’t want to go brushless, they also make brushed motor ESC’s made for crawlers that will have the incline hold feature you are looking for. Do a google search and see what pops up for both brushless and brushed setups. I personally would look into a brushless setup, they are more efficient, and you’ll find that you will get longer run times due to this. Also make sure you get good batteries. For lipos I recommend SMC. Not sure too much about NIMH anymore as it has been years since I’ve used them. Hope this text wall helps some. Good day and enjoy your TRX4.
    thanks. for now i will go with brushed because i have the hobbywing 1080. going to need a good motor.

RC Qualifier
    If you can find an old drill with a 14v motor they work well. I opted for 18v one as I donít use my summit for speed runs. Check CL or similar apps that have stuff like that for sale. My 18v motor came from an old Rigid drill I had laying around. Others may have somewhere to get good brushed motors, but as far as I know the drill motors work well.

RC Competitor
    thanks, have some drills laying around.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rc wanna be View Post
    thanks. for now i will go with brushed because i have the hobbywing 1080. going to need a good motor.
    That's a good esc. Holmes Hobbies crawlmaster sport 550 12t and a 10tooth pinion will give you excellent low end control. Those are budget 5 slot motors he just released. Speed will be pretty close to the stock 21t that comes in it. In my opinion they do way better than a brushless system for crawling and holding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk