RC poster

New member torn on Slash 4x4

Hello everyone, I used to have a Stampede and Rustler about 20 years ago, but have been out of the RC loop for years. My son (5) is super interested in it and has me back in the game (a lot has changed, wow) I bought him the Bigfoot Stampede for Christmas and am looking to get something to get to run with him. I'm looking at the Stampede 2wd or Slash 4wd. We will mostly be backyard and culdesac bashing. I'd rather have the slash 4wd and customize it (silverado body, possibly lift it and or bigger tires) but I'm not sure if the stampede would be better since 90% of the time it'll be in grass/yard. I was looking for some guidance now that I'm pretty sure I'm going to be hooked back in.

RC Qualifier
    Get the slash 4x4, with the longer wheelbase it will be less likely to tip over like the stampede. Iíve had a slash 4x4 for many years now, and can honestly say itís one of the most durable trucks Iíve ever owned. Iíve launched it 10ft up and 30-40ft out and it just comes back for more. Also you can set it up to be a monster truck or a buggy with a few mods. If you feel this isnít the truck for you, you might also consider the new Maxx. It is a monster truck like the Xmaxx but made into a 1/8-1/10 scale type. There are a couple threads floating around about it and what itís all about. This way you donít have to do much other then buy it and a good 3-4s lipo for it. The price tag is a bit on the steep side for my liking, but if itís as tough as the larger Xmaxx, then it is well worth the money.
    In closing, I will say that the slash 4x4 is a great vehicle, doesnít need much modding to make it bulletproof, and is a blast to drive, but the new maxx is what the slash 4x4 would be if it was a monster truck!! JMHO.

How about the Stampede 4x4?
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    How about the Stampede 4x4?
    Listen to this guy. Stampede 4x4 is the unsung hero of the 4wd 1/10 world, especially for back yards and grass bashing

Quote Originally Posted by wildchevys View Post
    My son (5) is super interested in it and has me back in the game (a lot has changed, wow) I bought him the Bigfoot Stampede for Christmas and am looking to get something to get to run with him.
    My opinion is that when you are primarily running your RC with another person, especially a younger family member, that it makes it a better experience for everyone if you have a fairly similar RC. A Slash 4x4, in stock form, is not very similar to the Stampede (in terms of looks). The wheels are way smaller, the body is massive, it's not a monster truck.

Thankfully the Slash 4x4 and the Stampede 4x4 have probably 85%+ parts commonality (Rustler 4x4 shares many parts also). You could easily start with a Stampede 4x4 and eventually convert it to a Slash 4x4, or vise versa, at minimum expense.

With that in mind, I think what you should do right now is grab a Stampede 4x4. That way, without even having to make a single modification, you will already have a vehicle that is outwardly very similar to your son's 2wd Stampede, and you will also have a lot of options for the future. If you want to make your truck larger, you can convert it to a "Slash 4x4 Monster Truck" very easily, doing almost nothing other than swapping out the Stampede 4x4 chassis for a Slash 4x4 chassis (existing components will screw right in), getting the longer center drive shaft to match that chassis, and then finding a bigger body to put on.

That is the route I took. My friend and I got back into the hobby and we both ran Stampede 4x4s. It was great fun, especially having similar vehicles. He took it to the next step, spent a lot more money than I was willing to spend, and eventually got both an E-Maxx Brushless and an E-Revo Brushless. My Stampede 4x4 was pretty small in comparison. I made my Stampede 4x4 "bigger" by converting it into a "Slash 4x4 Monster Truck" as described above, and using custom body mounts to use an E-Maxx body. The results were fantastic, and once again, the level of fun was enhanced (in my opinion) by having a vehicle that was at least somewhat outwardly comparable.

While it's somewhat counter-intuitive, it's actually easier and cheaper to convert a Stampede 4x4 into a "Slash 4x4 Monster Truck" than it is to convert a Slash 4x4 into a "Slash 4x4 Monster Truck". With a Stampede 4x4 you will already have the bigger Stampede wheels, the Stampede 4x4 bumper (instead of the MASSIVE slash 4x4 "bumper"), you will already have the A-Arm bumpers, you will already have the wheelie bar (instead of the MASSIVE slash rear "bumper"), etc. And of course, and most importantly, with the Stampede 4x4 you will be able to bash with your son using a similar vehicle from day 1, even before you change anything.

This is how my "Slash 4x4 Monster Truck" turned out, to give you an idea:

http://gotnorice.com/trucksidebody.jpg
    http://gotnorice.com/trucktopbody.jpg
    http://gotnorice.com/trucktopnobody.jpg
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 10-24-2019 at 12:56 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it. I tried his Bigfoot out today to ďmade sure it workedĒ for Christmas lol and i had a ball! With that said am I better off with a stampede 2x4 or 4x4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

am I better off with a stampede 2x4 or 4x4?
    Probably one of the biggest variables here is that 2wd vehicles are considerably harder to control than 4wd vehicles. With a 2wd stampede you are going to need at least somewhat reasonable throttle control, or you will simply spin out every time you hit the throttle a bit too hard. A 4wd stampede, with all 4 wheels pushing the truck, is much more likely to simply go in whatever direction the wheels are pointed even if you are fairly aggressive with the throttle. 4wd is also much less likely to get stuck in rough terrain.

With the 4wd stampede being so much easier to drive and control under most circumstances, it's actually a lot better truck for a novice driver. If anything, you should get a Stampede 4x4 for your kid, and use the 2wd Stampede for yourself. The bodies are compatible so you could always put the Bigfoot body on the Stampede 4x4 if you think your kid would prefer that look.

RC Racer
    That’s some great advice GotNoRice!

Very thoughtful to the OP’s needs.

RC Enthusiast
    4x4.....is my vote, IMHO always get the 4x4 for backyard bashing.

My vote is for the Slash 4x4 Ultimate! I have enjoyed them for years! My daughter has a Slash 4x4 and we have a great time running them together
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    My vote is for the Slash 4x4 Ultimate! I have enjoyed them for years! My daughter has a Slash 4x4 and we have a great time running them together
    Agree. 4x4 all the way. It's way more stable and way tougher, plus there are a lot more accessories available from places like RPM Racing and on Ebay in general. Actually for your use even the Platinum would work (its cheaper than the ultimate). And the Platinum just has an unpainted body shell, which since you want to swap it anyways isn't a big deal. You still get the upgraded hubs and suspension parts though. I have a platinum and its a great base vehicle if you want to do more customization than stock running at a better price point.

Get yourself the Slash 4x4 VXL.

Why?

When your son graduates from the Bigfoot, he can have your Slash 4x4 VXL and you can get yourself a Slash 4x4 Ultimate!

The Slash 4x4 platform is very versatile. Factory and after market parts are everywhere and relatively inexpensive.

Above all... have fun with your son/!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it. I wound up getting a stampede with a LiPo and a proline Silverado body. Should be here this week. I canít wait!

Nice! 4x4?

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    No, i got the 2x4 because i wanted to save the money to put towards a Maxx next year if my son and me stay with it!

No, i got the 2x4 because i wanted to save the money to put towards a Maxx next year if my son and me stay with it!

The new Maxx is a beast. If you ever decide you want a faster, tougher truck, I think it's the way to go. Makes the Slash 4x4 look like a 1/16 by comparison. This is my stock Maxx:

youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Have you been able to compensate the bouncing around on landings? If so, what all did it take other then some shock tuning?? And has anyone heard if they will release any hop ups for this thing? Would be nice to see some aluminum steering links and on the C-hubs as well. Anyhow, Iíve watched a few vids of the maxx and can honestly say my pocket is getting very warm LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Have you been able to compensate the bouncing around on landings? If so, what all did it take other then some shock tuning?? And has anyone heard if they will release any hop ups for this thing? Would be nice to see some aluminum steering links and on the C-hubs as well. Anyhow, I’ve watched a few vids of the maxx and can honestly say my pocket is getting very warm LOL!!
    Getting a bit off-topic here, but this helped a lot:

youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster

Got em. Thanks again