RC Enthusiast

Cool Brushed or brushless for slash 2wd?

I am trying to decide between a brushed or brushless, i recently blew up a brushed, should i go back to brushed or upgrade to brushless? I run it on sand and grass...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you go brushless youíll need a new esc as well.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    Upgrade to brushless. Less maintenance on the motor versus brushed, more efficient then brushed, and will be faster as well. Look into lipo batteries as well if you donít have any. SMC is who I recommend as well as many here on the forum. You can also set the brushless ESC up for training mode if you have kids. There are just a few things that I can think of off the top of my head why brushless is better then brushed in todayís time and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendarose View Post
    I am trying to decide between a brushed or brushless, i recently blew up a brushed, should i go back to brushed or upgrade to brushless? I run it on sand and grass...
    Stay brushed if you plan to stay under 15mph. Go brushless if you want to go faster. Brushed is cheaper but as 222 was saying brushless is much more efficient with less maintenance. Lipo is the best way to get the full effect also. In all it is a big choice but worth the investment in every way.

RC Qualifier
    If cost is your primary issue, there are Brushless combos that can be had for $70$80 for motor and Esc that are warranted and just as reliable as Castle or Traxxas OEM stuff. Some for 1/2 that if you aren’t afraid of ordering some questionable but still well reviewed Hong Kong stuff (from sites I won’t mention here ) That being said, you can get a new Titan Brushed motor for like $15 from an RC chip shop like Jenny’s RC
    You Can get power and decent speed out of a brushed set up, but Brushless with LiPo is always going to be the more efficient most run time, better power etc.

RC Qualifier
    Which ever way you go, be sure to gear down ie bigger spur or smaller pinion if you run mostly on grass or sand, and get a temperature gun to keep an eye on heat. Grass and sand does that to motors and esc’s

RC Enthusiast
    Also while thinking about it,do i need to change gearing if i put rustler tires on my slash?

There is simply no justifiable reason to run brushed motors these days, not even cost.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Qualifier
    I have a Brushed Stampede that I will probably be upgrading as a winter project. I bought my 2wd Dakar Slash Brushed in 2016 and have been running it Brushless for about 2 years now.
    I first acquired this latest Brushed Pede about 2 weeks ago for basically free and played with t Brushed for a while. Last night I put the power into from
    My Brushless Slash in it and wow! It was still a fun and quick truck Brushed but it is like a rocket on Brushless.

To answer your other quest about hearing, I would try going down a tooth or two on your pinion if swapping to Rustler wheels .
    the XL-5 Rustler comes with 23/86 gearing the VXL 25/83 so adjust accordingly. I’d actually go a little smaller on pinion or bigger on spur though to compensate for the slightly heavier slash. It’s not a big difference, but it still weighs more )