RC Enthusiast

Do i need to change gearing with 2.2 traxxas rustler tires on brushed 2wd slash?

I just put rustler tires on my 2wd slash, it makes a really weird burning smell but no smoke, do i need to change gearing?

RC Qualifier
    Check your slipper clutch. It may be loose.

When it comes to gearing rim size really isn't what is important. The OD of the tire is. If you put larger wheels on that are taller than the originals you are changing the total gear ratio. If the wheel is taller you will need a small pinion or larger spur gear to get back to the original total ratio.

I use this tool to help me figure my total gear ratio: https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Rustler tires are too wide to tuck under the Slash's wheel arches when the suspension compresses so maybe it's the smell of burning tire rubber due to rubbing on the body.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Enthusiast
    I checked the body and ita not it, the motor smells like a cigar.

RC Enthusiast
    I will see if changes gearing will help

RC Enthusiast
    I dont think the tires are the cause. Sounds like the motor got too hot. Usually dies soon after. Use compressed air to clean it and lube the bushings at each end of the motor. Maybe it'll last a little longer.

RC Enthusiast
    It was a fully hot

RC Enthusiast
    Try going down teeth on the pinion gear. And consider drilling some 1/4 inch holes in the windshield. A transmission case with an aluminum mounting plate makes a huge difference in cooling. RPM or HR racing makes some.