Is this a safe setup?

So I purchased this Hobbywing 1080 crawler ESC to replace the XL-5HV when it dies. I have some fairly new traxxas batteries that Iíd like to continue running in the vehicle, but because all of my other stuff already has XT90 plugs, I wanted to stick with that (the 1080 originally came with XT60).

Does this adapter work for actual driving? I was under the impression that these types of adapters were just for charging only.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Donít see why not
    Just watch the wire and connector temps

RC Racer
    I've used a similar adapter to run 6s 150a before in my losi. It got hot running that much power but I expected it to. On a trx 4 you should be fine. Just check the Temps occasionally like said above.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    So I purchased this Hobbywing 1080 crawler ESC to replace the XL-5HV when it dies. I have some fairly new traxxas batteries that Iíd like to continue running in the vehicle, but because all of my other stuff already has XT90 plugs, I wanted to stick with that (the 1080 originally came with XT60).

Does this adapter work for actual driving? I was under the impression that these types of adapters were just for charging only.

Thanks!

That's probably the safest adapter that you can have.
    Adapters aren't the best idea, but for lower draw applications like crawlers, they're generally fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ok, thatís enough yes votes for me. Thanks for the info everyone! Much appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    I would think it would be fine on 2s also .

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I would think it would be fine on 2s also .
    How about 3s? I have this traxxas 3s 8400mah battery that just barely fits in the TRX-4 sport and gets us about three hours of trail time.

I do have a flysky temp gun that Iíll probably be using initially, just to make sure connectors arenít getting too hot. So far, the XT90ís seem pretty free flowing in my other setups.

RC Racer
    It should be fine on 3s. Just make sure the middle of the adapter doesn't get too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrjelly007 View Post
    It should be fine on 3s. Just make sure the middle of the adapter doesn't get too hot.

Nice, thanks!

Adapters are normally something for temporary use because of the added complexity and resistance they put into your electronics. For scale trucks like the TRX4 that does not draw all that much current, the added resistance should not be an issue. The added complexity is for you to decide how much is too much. If possible, I'd recommend changing out the Traxxas plus for your XT plugs.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Adapters are normally something for temporary use because of the added complexity and resistance they put into your electronics. For scale trucks like the TRX4 that does not draw all that much current, the added resistance should not be an issue. The added complexity is for you to decide how much is too much. If possible, I'd recommend changing out the Traxxas plus for your XT plugs.
    Iíve thought about that, hereís the catch: Iím fairly confident in my soldering, have a good soldering station, but the way traxxas builds their balance wires into the plugs makes me wonder if itís possible to change out the ID plug for the XT90.

With all of my other batteries, thereís a positive, negative, and third wire (ground?) that typically plugs back into the battery with a 2mm bullet.

Is it possible to put an XT90 plug in the traxxas battery?

RC Racer
    Iíve thought about that, hereís the catch: Iím fairly confident in my soldering, have a good soldering station, but the way traxxas builds their balance wires into the plugs makes me wonder if itís possible to change out the ID plug for the XT90.

With all of my other batteries, thereís a positive, negative, and third wire (ground?) that typically plugs back into the battery with a 2mm bullet.

That's another reason I don't like Traxxas ID plugs. I've never tried soldering them but I don't see how you could attach a normal balance wire to it easily. I'm sure there's a way tho.

RC Racer

Just another reason to not use the Traxxas batteries in my opinion. That iD plug sucks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mrjelly007 View Post
    That's another reason I don't like Traxxas ID plugs. I've never tried soldering them but I don't see how you could attach a normal balance wire to it easily. I'm sure there's a way tho.

Same here. I only have two ID batteries(and Iíd never buy another knowing what I know now), and about a dozen or so other brands that are user friendly in that they allow for soldering on your connector of choice.

I can see the logic of having proprietary parts here and there, but the ID battery issue has probably netted them quite a lot in lost sales. Not to mention frustrated customers.

RC Qualifier
    Hobbystar makes the adapter from us to the old trx plug

Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Hobbystar makes the adapter from us to the old trx plug

Thatís the one I picked up from a hobby shop on eBay. Iíll just run that in the TRX, since itís pretty low draw, and when it finally dies, Iíll dispose of it and continue using other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I run xt 60 on everything.
    I have a couple traxxas packs and a ez peak live 12amp charger I got in a deal.
    So I made a adapter to charge my xt packs on it and one to run the packs.
    3s brushless mmp 2200 hh puller pro.
    No issues so far.i did not think you could change traxxas connecters.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamann; 10-25-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried