Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Rain Dawg, does the gel dry out harder if you apply it to threads and leave it a while before assembly? Or does it stay somewhat fluid?

I put a small amount on the threads and leave it overnight and it looks like the pic with the stock pins in the morning and then install them and it hardens but has never been a real issue unless I put to much on the axles then it's a little bit of pressure to get them off.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks mate. Iíve ordered some of the orange Permatex to give that a go. Depending how that goes Iíll try the loctite stick next.

(IMO) I find it best to put whatever Loctite your using on wet, and then assemble while still wet. My reasoning? Because, you'll get a better bond. Think of Loctite as removeable glue. If you were gluing something together, would it be better to put glue on the two pieces you were trying to glue together, let dry, and then put them together? Or, would it be better to put the glue on, and while still wet, hold the two pieces together until the glue dries? It's better to put the glue on, and while still wet, hold the two pieces together until the glue dries? (Note: Two exceptions are 1300L and contact cement.)

(IMO) the only reason why some hardware comes with a dried blob of Loctite applied, is to make it conveniently certain that it gets installed with some sort of Loctite on it. I believe that their (the hardware supplier) reasoning is, putting a part on with dried Loctite is better than no Loctite at all. In a perfect world, however, it's better to put Loctite on wet, assemble, and left 24 hours to set.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-19-2019 at 05:27 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, convenience was one reason I was trying to find that hard plasticky stuff. Maybe get a few rebuilds before reapplying, instead of adding fresh loctite during every assembly as Iím doing now.

I donít mind the extra step, if it works, but Iím having the outdrive cup screw pins and 17mm hub set screws backing out regularly.

Iíve prepped both surfaces of the threads with alcohol, and then I tried Shellite (naptha) and they still loosen.

I havenít wanted to go to red loctite as itís hard to get heat to the diff cup near the plastic, and even harder for the 4mm set screw inside the center of the axel for the 17mm hubs.

I was thinking the hard plasticky stuff might hold tighter but there doesnít seem to be enough on there from the factory to hold tight enough, so I was wanting to try adding a bit more.

If this orange thread lock keeps the troublesome set screws in place then Iíll be pretty happy with that. Blue is working everywhere else.

If it doesnít then I might need to try a primer. I noticed black oxide coating is one of the surfaces they recommended a primer for.

If the orange Loctite don't work for you, then try the red. The trick to using red Loctite is to use a pencil tip on a good heat gun. That way you don't take a chances with hurting your plastic.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12