Thread: My First Post

RC poster

My First Post

Hi guys.
    I just signed up mainly to get some advice! :-)

I've just purchased an alloy (3mm Plate, 6061-T6 Alum Traxxas part #5507) Jato chassis. I don't have anything else lol.
    What I do have is a 2WD Stampede, an early Bandit and a Rustler 2WD. All rollers. What I'd like to do is make a project for the missus and I using the new Jato alloy chassis as the base. Do any of the parts work from the above mentioned rollers? Parts compatibility to make an E-Jato?
    I've never seen a Jato in the flesh but I'm hoping we can part out the 3 rollers to make a rear mounted gearbox, wide stance, 2WD brushless E-JATO beast!

Or am I wasting my time lol...
    What would you recommend I do if this chassis isn't compatible? Cancel the purchase and find another alloy chassis..?

Anyways, any/all advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks very much!

RC poster
    No replies awwwwww

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackles-4130 View Post
    No replies awwwwww
    I don’t know for sure if transmissions and front suspensions bolt right on on to a Jato chassis but I’m sure the aluminum black could b cut and drilled to fit if it isn’t a direct bolt on.

RC Qualifier
    Crackles what is your goal. Do you just want an aluminum chassis or do you want to make a new vehicle?
    The rustler and bandit are different than the jato. The parts you have are not a direct swap. The jato is a different setup. Look at the exploded views for each and and you should notice the differences.
    If you want an electric jato you would be much farther ahead buying a jato roller than trying to "Frankenstein" parts together.

Why not get your existing rollers up and going?

IMHO it would probably much cheaper to fix what you have and have two vehicles so both you and the missus could enjoy at the same time.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I don’t know for sure if transmissions and front suspensions bolt right on on to a Jato chassis but I’m sure the aluminum black could b cut and drilled to fit if it isn’t a direct bolt on.
    Hi Dakratfink. Yep I think I've jumped the gun haha! I'll have to have a play when the chassis arrives...
    Thx man! ����

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Crackles what is your goal. Do you just want an aluminum chassis or do you want to make a new vehicle?
    The rustler and bandit are different than the jato. The parts you have are not a direct swap. The jato is a different setup. Look at the exploded views for each and and you should notice the differences.
    If you want an electric jato you would be much farther ahead buying a jato roller than trying to "Frankenstein" parts together.

Why not get your existing rollers up and going?

IMHO it would probably much cheaper to fix what you have and have two vehicles so both you and the missus could enjoy at the same time.
    Hey Grizzly,
    As mentioned I may have gotten all excited about the cheap price of the alloy chassis and pulled the trigger before actually thinking it through, especially with me having no knowledge of what a Jato was. I just figured all 2WD Traxxas were much of a muchness. That was silly lol.
    It was the thought of building up a new, shiny alloy chassis that got me fired up. I've got some drag racing wheels on order so I guess we were going to piece together a street terror of some description... Maybe use a '55 Chevy or' 41 Willys body and go from there.
    I can get an alloy Nitro Slash CHASSIS plate (4422) 3.3 Traxxas 44054...
    Would that be a smarter, less stressful build you think? I haven't had a chance to research but I'm guessing the chassis is for 2WD?
    What else would be required? My missus currently has a lightly modified, complete and running 2WD Slash (stock grey coloured chassis) that I'd be swapping all the bits over.
    Thanks very much for your input!

RC Qualifier
    Look at each vehicles' exploded view. I don't own a slash. So I cannot comment on what the parts look like for swapping. I have a Jato and it is a one off setup. Meaning it would take a lot of custom work to swap parts to a different vehicles chassis. Your right in thinking some/most parts within the same vehicle family do swap. Good luck with the build.

The motor in front of the trans is a bit of a perk as far as I'm concerned, especially for electric. Moves more weight towards the front, which you kind of need when going for speed.

I have a brushless converted jato with the hot racing steel single speed conversion along with traxxas steel cvd's and it does well on 3S for bashing. I had to do a few other things to it to make it take the abuse I throw at it at skate parks, but it's a truck I'll likely will only part with if I can't get parts for it. It's still very wheelie prone even with the motor in front of the trans. Can't imagine how annoying a brushless rustler would be. lol!
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    i have a jato and a 2wd rustler. later on today if youd like i can go see if they line up. just let me know

RC poster
    Hey guys my apologies for taking so long to reply.
    Life and "adulting" got on the way lol...

An update to where I'm at...

No further ahead, really, apart from the alloy Jato chassis arriving and, as mentioned and expected, I've got ZERO hope of using it for anything apart from an alloy chassis for a Jato or an expensive (and dangerous) frisbee ha!

I've not got much of a clue on what I want to do now. Looks like an LCG Slash chassis (or something cool and interesting from the aftermarket guys) for my 4WD Slash that's in bits and for the missus I really like the alloy Slash 2WD chassis out there that some aftermarket guys are doing for drag racing... I'm sure the chassis kit would be awesome as a basher for off road purposes also... I'll have to upgrade her ESC if I go for the full alloy conversion as I don't think it will handle the extra weight...

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to read & comment, I'll update as I move forward with these few projects.

I'm going for a bash as I just got my Proline PSC-2 SCT running again and she's feeling itchy!!
    Last edited by Crackles-4130; 12-07-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Spelling & grammar mistakes