RC poster

Additional battery for fans?

Hello,
    I have a slash 4x4 with a 3s lipo that I have no issues with. However, I was looking at adding fans and a light bar to my rig. I was hoping to actually add a battery with a switch to power all the fans and the light bar separate from the lipo.

I've heard of people adding a 9v battery to run this, but would I need some sort of controller or resistors?

I've also read a bunch of people saying to add a BEC and I do not know what that is.

I would just like to have all accessories wired to a different battery source.

RC poster
    https://www.mytrickrc.com/shop/off-r...light-package/

I was looking at getting this for my slash seams really bright and just what I need for night riding. Not sure if this is something your after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    That kit is really cool and I might end up with one, but I already have the fans and light bar that I want to use. I was planning to wire them all to a different power source with one switch.

I use the foam block to keep my battery still, I was going to put the other 9v in that blocks place.

RC poster
    I wouldn’t take the foam block out and put a battery there. If you take a hard crash with the LiPo batter in there and it gets to much of a shock it can be catastrophic. I was gonna run everything in the body of my slash and just secure it with hook and loop tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the LSDs and fans can handle the voltage, running them from the balance lead on the battery is always possible.

RC Qualifier
    I run an 2S 6.6V Li-Fe Receiver Battery. Works out to be very similar to running a BEC circuit.

RC poster
    Zedora, I can't do this in my case because my batteries are the traxxas iD batteries. The balance lead is built into the plug.

LibertyMKiii, I'm still unsure what a BEC circuit is. Can you explain?

If you only need 6V, you could always add something like this:

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gea1089.htm

and get a 3-way splitter:

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gea1094.htm
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan113 View Post
    Zedora, I can't do this in my case because my batteries are the traxxas iD batteries. The balance lead is built into the plug.

LibertyMKiii, I'm still unsure what a BEC circuit is. Can you explain?
    Bec uses the battery to power stuff, not power from the esc

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You can also run fans or lights off one of of the other slots in the receiver box. There should be extra spots you can use for power. There's also a fan port on the ESC if you're not running an ESC fan you can run a fan off of for your motor.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster
    Thanks for the input. I did end up wiring it all into a single switch that plugs into an RC battery for a plane. Then I attached the RC battery to the hold down for the main lipo.