RC Enthusiast

Maxx Electronics (El Sob) help

I am putting the motor/ESC from the new MAXX in my Slash 4X4 LCG. I have relocated my receiver box to the front of the car and have room the the MASSIVE ESC, but it needs to be raised a bit to clear the driveshaft. The fan uses the mounting screws to hold it to the ESC so I may need to fab something.

I am also wondering if i should use all 4 screws on the motor plate or if just two is fine. I believe this is very similar to the El Sob Special I have read about here so hopefully I won't have to start from scratch.

The plan is to run this on 3S and 4S LiPos so I was thinking of starting with 20/50 gearing....Sound right?

I will try to add more photos tonight.

Last edited by SMStilwell; 10-28-2019 at 05:47 PM.

RC Enthusiast

RC Enthusiast
    Last edited by SMStilwell; 10-28-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

That esc is truly massive! I had the same idea! It seems like the motor system from the Maxx would be a beast in the Slash 4x4. Please keep posting your progress getting it to work
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    I am truly excited about getting some ebay take off Maxx ESC and Motor to try in my LCG Sl4sh chassis, that's one thing I lament about the LCG chassis in that it has a lot less room for shennanegance than the HCG chassis, eg this. You can stuff all sorts of things in the HCG. The relatively smaller footprint of the VXL-4s just opens up so many doors with some lexan sheets and spacers.

RC Racer
    Where did you come up with the motor/esc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    He posted that he got it off eBay from a take off. Brand new. There are a lot of sellers doing this. Jennyís RC is one that comes to mind.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, eBay. There are three or four sellers on eBay that keep take off UDR motor and esc in stock. If you go that route it is important to make sure you get the UDR version because it comes with the one 4s connector, whereas the E Revo comes with two 3s connectors. That’s no longer a concern now that we have the Maxx power plant to look forward to besides, the 2200kv motor is *a bit* overkill for the Sl4sh, even with a vg racing metal cage adding a lot of weight, keep the nose down with 20/50 gearing is a chore.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 10-29-2019 at 09:01 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    He posted that he got it off eBay from a take off. Brand new. There are a lot of sellers doing this. Jennyís RC is one that comes to mind.
    Yeah I use Jennys a lot, hadnít seen any maxx parts. Both of my slashes already have 1/8 6s power plants in them but I thought it was crazy they were already being parted out.

RC Enthusiast
    I got my motor and ESC from eBay. I have been watching since the Maxx was released because if I know if I got a Maxx I would want to put a larger motor/ESC in it right away too so I was hoping! This is my 4th RC car and my 2nd Sl4sh- I am building this one from $cratch.

RC Enthusiast
    The car is still not finished, but all the Traxxas electronics are working together nicely and Traxxas Link has been set up using the Maxx's profile. The Traxxas 2075R servo was not responding like I think it should have, but the front suspension is not complete yet so maybe it is fine.

RC Qualifier
    What’s the behavior of the 2075r? It should be okay with the BEC voltage since the erevo vxl-6s run two 2075 servos in parallel and from wha it heard the vxl-4s is similar to the vxl-6s.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    What’s the behavior of the 2075r? It should be okay with the BEC voltage since the erevo vxl-6s run two 2075 servos in parallel and from wha it heard the vxl-4s is similar to the vxl-6s.
    After the servo found center, it only moved a little bit in one direction. I have since plugged it into the 2nd channel 1 of my other slash and now it won't more at all. I bought it online from one of the RC chop shops and it looks new but who knows. The main difference between the VXL-3S and VXL4S BEC is the amperage, they are both 6V so I *think* It was okay but now I'm afraid to try another one.

BTW- JRC has the Maxx ESC and motor for sale on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-MAXX-M...4AAOSwMD5ds7Oz

RC Enthusiast
    I have been traveling since my last post so nothing has been done yet. My plan is to buy a Traxxas 2075 at my LHS to see if my problem with the 2075R was just a DOA SERVO unless someone knows this wonít work. I want to keep all my electronics Traxxas on this car if possible.

RC Qualifier
    If you want to keep it all traxxas and want a good upgrade, look into the 2255 servo. Itís a normal size one, the kit for installing it may or may not have come with the truck.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    If you want to keep it all traxxas and want a good upgrade, look into the 2255 servo. Itís a normal size one, the kit for installing it may or may not have come with the truck.
    I picked up a stock 2075 servo from my LHS on my way home and the same thing happened. I plugged the servo into the receiver and powered on the ESC. The servo moved slightly, then stopped working. One of the reasons I wanted to stay with Traxxas electronics is so I would avoid things like this (and TSM). I now have more than what a 2255 servo costs in the two I have purchased and I have two non-working servos and a stalled project.

The ESC and Motor are new from a MAXX, the TQI transmitter and receiver are new from my LHS, and the first servo was from an eBay chop shop and the 2nd was from my LHS. I am using a new Traxxas 3S 5000mAh battery. Both servos did the exact same thing, moved slightly at power-on, and moved slightly when I twisted the steering knob on the transmitter, then nothing.

I'm hoping someone here can PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong or what I need to do. I'm pretty sure if I bought a 2250 or the 2255 I would burn those up too.

I never would have guessed the servo would be the part I was going to have problems with on this project.

RC Qualifier
    You may not have necessarily burned the servos. Maybe try turning the servo arm off center while everything is off, then turn it on again. If the servo centers again then they are most likely fine.

Have you tried the servo in both of the recievers servo outputs? As far as Iím aware the Traxxas recievers have two servo outputs for dual steering servo cars. Maybe the maxx profile does something funny there? I donít know if they are hardwired together or truly separate and programable outputs.

You could also try powering the RX with a 6V battery pack and see if that changes anything, but it seems you are getting power from the esc fine. If you have a multimeter you could check the ESC BEC output is not low.

You could try the servos on another transmitter and receiver you know is working.

Perhaps try selecting a different vehicle profile for the radio setup see if that works?

I donít know but it just sounds like it may be some kind of programming error rather than faulty hardware?

RC Qualifier
    Maybe try resetting the radio as well? Perhaps it had some funky settings somehow?

RC Qualifier
    Just had a bit more time to read the issue again. Apologies I missed that you had already tried the servo on another receiver.

If the servos were blown for some reason (maybe a faulty high BEC voltage?) then isnít there a small fuse or similar under the lower cover of the servos?

I remember seeing that a while ago but canít remember where. I think the fix was to just bridge it and the servo worked again?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    Just had a bit more time to read the issue again. Apologies I missed that you had already tried the servo on another receiver.

If the servos were blown for some reason (maybe a faulty high BEC voltage?) then isnít there a small fuse or similar under the lower cover of the servos?

I remember seeing that a while ago but canít remember where. I think the fix was to just bridge it and the servo worked again?
    I saw the same YouTube video on bypassing the fused link on the board, but I believe he said it was only on the older models- I will look and see. I do have a multimeter and can test to see if either are blown if they do.
    I know the receiver is communicating to the transmitter because motor is responding to the motor reacts and the Servos both moved very slightly when I turned the steering wheel on the transmitter, but both only did so once.
    I have tested both units prior to mounting them on the car. I have tried moving the horn to see if something moved too far in one direction when it did move.
    Thank you for your response, I will check both units for a fuse.

RC Qualifier
    Iím a bit perplexed at the problem mate. Itís seems incredibly unlikely you would get two dud servos, so that would lead to thinking itís an issue with the radio gear.

But then the servos acting the same on another radio, and the maxx esc working with the original radio, seems to point back toward the servos.

Can you check the voltage the maxx ESC BEC is putting out? Thatís the only other thought that occurs to me at the moment, that maybe the voltage is high enough there to blow the servos but not high enough to blow the receiver. Thatís a long shot though and I wouldnít expect that to be the case.

RC Enthusiast
    UPDATE:
    Ok, I did more testing this morning and now know what is going on, but not how to fix it. I took a working servo from another Slash 4x4 and had the same results. I immediately unplugged it and returned it to the donor slash and it still worked. (the other two are dead) I have decided it has something to do with Traxxas Link app. Here is why: when I got my Maxx motor and ESC I went into the APP and told it the car was a Maxx since it has the Motor and ESC was from a Maxx. I updated the transmitter and receiver, then tried the motor and servo. The motor works flawlessly, but the 1st servo had been plugged in for an hour before everything updated. My GUESS is the Traxxas Link software adjusted the transmitter and receiver for a Maxx and the steering settings are very different for the Maxx Servo. I'm not sure how to change this now since I am new to the App.
    I have reset the transmitter, but it wont pair to the receiver now because (I think) the receiver is looking for a "Maxx transmitter" I'm not sure what to do next.

RC Qualifier
    You could try rebinding the receiver to the Tx, the procedure will be in a car manual or the TQ manual. And then set it up from stock or a different vehicle?

I still canít make sense of it. That would explain the servos not working on the first radio, but not the second you tried. Unless the esc outputs a higher voltage or receiver tells the ESC to output a higher voltage when set up as a Maxx radio, but that would be very very different to anything Iíve seen from Traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    I just double checked the 6S and 8s escs and their Bec voltage is 6V. Iím pretty sure the vxl4s would not change that standard. So unless your esc is faulty that really shouldnít be the burn out cause.

Did you center the servos before putting the arms on and installing? I was just thinking maybe the arms were installed with the servo at the end of its travel and then they overloaded trying to return to center?

Clutching at straws there mate as it would also be very unlikely two servos were installed the same way. Also sorry for going over basics too, just double checking to rule them out mainly, while being stuck for any better idea.

RC Qualifier
    Any progress mate? Have you measured the BEC voltage from the ESC?

I read back over the thread after my last message and Iíd missed that youíd tested both servos out of the car first, sorry about that.

Hoping you get this sorted mate. Looking forward to seeing this beast up and running!

RC poster
    I would start testing BEC voltage first. Had a BEC fry on a BLX185, but would be surprised if it delivers more than 6V. Nevertheless you want to test this before anything else.

Once cleared, move to the Rx. Redo the whole reset / binding thing. Redo the software update withe the App. You never know, that procedure might have gone wrong too. Reset the end points.

Finish off with the servo once everything else is validated.

Sometimes, when you are stuck you just have to restart everything again. Maybe you overlooked something.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicochau View Post
    I would start testing BEC voltage first. Had a BEC fry on a BLX185, but would be surprised if it delivers more than 6V. Nevertheless you want to test this before anything else.

Once cleared, move to the Rx. Redo the whole reset / binding thing. Redo the software update withe the App. You never know, that procedure might have gone wrong too. Reset the end points.

Finish off with the servo once everything else is validated.

Sometimes, when you are stuck you just have to restart everything again. Maybe you overlooked something.
    The reset process is where I am stuck now. I reset the transmitter as type 1 car and now it will not bind to the receiver (possibly still set as a Maxx receiver?)
    I havenít hooked the servos up yet- I havenít been able to get past the centering and testing phase yet.
    I guess Iím going to have to call Traxxas support to get past this but I will test the BEC voltage first.

If all else fails, you can get an external BEC online for <$10.

RC Qualifier
    What still confuses me is what has blown two servos such that they donít work on the second radio system?

What was the result of testing the ESC BEC voltage?

And also why the binding is now not working. Can you bind the new receiver to one of your old radios? Or vice versa?

The advice to go through the whole updating and binding process again seems a good idea.

You could test your theory that the RX is waiting for a Maxx radio by resetting the radio to the maxx setting. But isnít the most of what those profiles do just setting servo reversing and travel? I donít know if they do more than that?

RC Enthusiast
    Success!
    I reset the car on the Traxxas Link App to a slash 4x4 and re-established the bluetooth link with the controller. I thin called Traxxas support and they had me set the receiver to link mode before putting the radio in link mode and they linked up.
    Once the link was established, the servo worked perfectly.
    Thanks to all who responded!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome mate, thatís really good to hear. Looking forward to seeing you finish this build!

So, in the end the servos werenít blown?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    Awesome mate, thatís really good to hear. Looking forward to seeing you finish this build!

So, in the end the servos werenít blown?
    Unfortunately, yes. And I still do not really know what happened.
    I do know I wonít be messing with the Link App settings on my SlashMaxx now that things are working.

RC Qualifier
    That is just really perplexing then. And surprising Traxxas didnít have an explanation.

Perhaps the update really did go astray and the rx was sending some strange signal to the servo that caused a burnout? Really strange in any case.

Great to hear youíre on your way now mate! Looking forward to seeing how you go.

RC Enthusiast