RC poster

Slash 4x4 - motor upgrade question(s)

Using the great advise here on the forum I gifted my son (8) a Slash 4X4 last Christmas and he has loved using it since. He has the brushed 12T motor and now that he is gaining experience (actually pretty great at control) I am thinking it is time to boost the speed a bit. I know they offer the motor upgrades and was curious the differences and your thoughts. I googled it for a while yesterday but came up with very little, especially anything current.

According to the Traxxas site I can jump to either the:

a) VXL-3m & 360 motor

or

b) VXL 3s & 3500 motor

Is one better/designed more for the 4x4 slash?

We have been using the standard NiMH batteries but I just ordered a LiPo set as well.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

The VXL-3m & 360 motor is for the 1/16 sized cars, and isn't made for your slash. The VXL 3s & 3500kv motor on the other hand, is. So, no to a, and yes to b.
    I like free stuff!

^What he said.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3350R

Welcome to the Traxxas forums and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Thanks for the quick and accurate response!

What would I be looking at for a performance upgrade going with the 3s/3500? Is it that much power/speed?

Thanks!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    Thanks for the quick and accurate response!

What would I be looking at for a performance upgrade going with the 3s/3500? Is it that much power/speed?

Thanks!
    First post so Iím obviously not the expert on here but 3s may be more than youíre looking for at first. The 3500 on nimh will be a big jump in speed so you may want to start there before you dump a ton on lipos. When I got back into RC I went electric this time. I started 3s/3500 and even with years of nitro experience it was a bit much at first and I broke many items due to it. Having the original nimh, a 2s and a 3s around to experience everything would be ideal but depends on available funds. Also remember to adjust the ESC when switching from nimh to Lipo(easy and instructions in manual). Any way you go your son is going to love going brushless.

RC Enthusiast
    going brush-less you will definitely see a jump in speed. If you switch from a nimh type battery to a lipo battery that'll increase the speed even more. I run all my trucks on 3s (11.1v) batteries on stock gearing and depending on the tires i'm using the truck runs anywhere from 35-55mph so it'll be much faster. when racing, i run the 2s (7.4v) lipos which bring the speeds down to around 25-30 mph. I have never really used nimh batteries but have seen others, and it seems like a 8.4v nimh runs about the same speed as a 2s (7.4v) lipo.

the Vxl3s is designed for the slash 4x4 as that is what it comes with stock, so that combo will do just fine.

RC poster
    Love the additional wealth of info here!

Currently I have the stock NiMh battery that came with it and then bought a 5000 mAh 8.4v for a little extra run time for him.

I purchased a 7600 mAh 7.4v LiPo to test out with the stock set up just to see the difference it makes. Thanks you for the reminder to switch the ESC over as well when using the LiPo.

I think the big upgrade will end up being a Christmas gift for him.

I will say it is hard to watch him use it as I want to use it just as much. I grew up with all things R/C and he has all sort of other small R/C toys. I run a older Prather boat that I am in the middle of upgrading as well - then there is the drone - too many toys, not enough time. I do have a feeling I will end up getting an R/C truck to run with him if he keeps his interest.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

Personally I love the El Sob special motor systems. For noobs you may want to start off with a 2s lipo. But if you are careful a 3s will be just fine since you will probably go there anyway.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Received the LiPo and the Ez-Peak Live charger the other day - the charger was able to recover and charge my 'faulty' 3000 NiMH battery that the stock charger 'ignored'.

Ran the Slash on the 5000 NiMH then on the 7600 2s LiPo and there was a noticeable difference - not huge, but noticeable. We were running on the hard sand. I have a radar gun and will see if there is a top end difference next time we take it out as well.

Thanks for the advise, will complete the 'speed' upgrade after the new year!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    Received the LiPo and the Ez-Peak Live charger the other day - the charger was able to recover and charge my 'faulty' 3000 NiMH battery that the stock charger 'ignored'.

Ran the Slash on the 5000 NiMH then on the 7600 2s LiPo and there was a noticeable difference - not huge, but noticeable. We were running on the hard sand. I have a radar gun and will see if there is a top end difference next time we take it out as well.

Thanks for the advise, will complete the 'speed' upgrade after the new year!
    Sounds like fun.glad you got your battery figured out