RC Qualifier

Convert to monster truck?

Hello.

My son wants to convert the rustler 4x4 vxl to a monstertruck.
    He already have a set of stampede 4x4 tires.
    Would it fit if i order new shock towers from stampede to get the body posts, and then a body ment for stampede? Or would it be to small since the rustler chassis is wider?

Itís time for a new body anyway.
    This Two trucks is very similar, what does it take to convert it to a stampede?
    Stampede 4x4 chassis, center drive shafts, shock towers and front/rear bulkheads. Do i need something more?

Would be cheaper and easier just to swap body with the mounts..
    Anyone here that have tried the rustler with monster truck bodies?

While the Rustler chassis is wider, the vehicles have exactly the same axle width, as they share the exact same front & rear 4WD drivetrain components. The "problem" is in the wheelbase - the Rustler is approx 1.25" shorter than the Slash & Stampede. However, there IS a fairly simple way to turn the Rustler into a "monster truck", but there is a "catch", which I'll explain in a bit.

First things first...the conversion. To do that, you'll need to start with the JConcepts Suspension Conversion Kit. It was initially designed for the Slash 4x4, but works equally-well with the Rusty 4x4. It replaces the stock plastic shock towers with taller carbon fiber towers (which, as you might have figured out, also gets rid of the proprietary "clipless body mount"...which, again, I'll explain in a bit). To complete the conversion, you'll also need to purchase certain Traxxas parts, such as longer shocks for the front, body mounts, and a few screws.

Technically, they provide two solutions - a cheaper one, and a more expensive (but CONSIDERABLY better) one. The cheaper option is to just purchase a second pair of XXL Ultra shocks (exact same shocks used in the rear, so that you end up with the same length shocks on all 4 corners). The more costly, but better, option is to purchase 2 pair of XXL GTR shocks (aluminum bodies, aluminum caps, plus they're available in a few different anodized colors). After the shocks, you need the body mounts, to which the best suggestion is the 'adjustable height' mounts (Traxxas, RPM, and a few others offer these). The adjustable mounts allow you to set the body height above the chassis. Within the printed instructions (included with the JConcepts kit), plus downloadable from their website, all the additionally-required Traxxas-made parts, along with the part numbers, is included. If you choose to go with non-Traxxas parts, such as Pro-Spec shocks, Team Associated springs, or RPM body mounts, those parts (and party numbers) will be for you to figure out.

Finally...in regards to the "catch", and "removal of the clipless body mounts", both mentioned earlier...this is where you WILL run into a problem, and it will be entirely yours to figure out. The "problem", specifically, is that there (currently) aren't any 3rd-party bodies available specifically for the Rustler 4x4, which means no "monster truck" bodies targeted towards the Rustler 4x4. This is probably because of the proprietary "clipless" body mount system. Thankfully, this isn't so much a "problem", as it is a "deterrent". As the JConcepts kit replaced the clipless mount with traditional mounts, you can user any body you want...as long as the body's wheelbase matches closely with the Rusty's wheels base -and THAT'S where the problem is, as you WILL have a difficult time finding an appropriately-fitting body...although, I can tell you, you're not alone in such a search, as others (myself, included) have been on this journey.

If you're really good at cutting Lexan, and can cleanly enlarge the wheelwells, that's a start...but, you'd still end up with a body that had it's front and/or rear competing work bumper space. In my case, I wasn't trying to create a monster truck...I was converting (technically, mine isn't 100% finished, as I still have to paint the body) my Rusty into a "true" stadium truck, as opposed to the "stadium truck/NASCAR-hybrid" that the Rustler body appears to be. I decided on a 3rd-party body for the Jato (yea, I know, it's a nitro vehicle, but the body I went with doesn't come with the engine cutout already cut out), as it's length, width, and wheelbase were all extremely close to the Rustler's body. As for a properly-firing monster truck body, I wish you the best of luck, and hope to see "finished" photos posted in here upon completion.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Yes that is the hardest part to get the wheels to fit the body, where the wheel is suposed to be so it dosnt looks wierd, same with the front and rear bumper as you mentioned.

I would like to find a body that fit, but to get that i think i have to spend some money into bodies, could try brands like arrma or hpi, but again it would be difficult.
    I have been thinking about what you said, and i realice it would require a few orders with bodies, and then not guaranteed it would match.
    So i decide to give it up before i started, tried one time earlier with a e maxx body on a slash and it just dosnt looks right. So this is just a reminder when you started to talk about it.

It would be easier to just convert it to a stampede 4x4 i guess with chassis and everything.

Would have been interested to see how it would have been for sure..
    Feels it’s also be a little shame to convert it to the stampede 4x4 since the rustler handle way better, but for offroad bashing the stampede is good enough.
    I must think about it and see what we end up with.

It doesn't have to take multiple body orders. I ordered only one. What you do is check the wheelbase, and compare it against the wheelbase of bodies that you're interested in. That's what I did.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better