RC poster

Are CVD's worth it?

Im thinking of getting some new driveshafts for my slash 2WD VXL.

I recently put an aluminum diff gear in my transmission for better preformance,
    but what i didn't know is how much it would affect my car and the way it drives.

I went to the internet, researched and found that the plastic
    stock driveshafts didn't go well with the diff that i put in.

So, i realized that i need another upgrade. I found out that the Traxxas constant velocity driveshafts are a really good upgrade for better shafts. Little did i know that they cost about 60 bucks!!

So, at that point i didn't know whether if i should get the
    CVD's or if i should get cheaper after market shafts.

Does anyone know if the CVD's are worth it, or if there
    are cheaper shafts that can get the job done just like the CVD's?

You lost me at "stock driveshafts didn't go well with the diff". I can't understand how a diff would ever in any way be incompatible with drive shafts that fit.

I more wonder if you have tried any other fluid weights to fix the way it drives? Have you checked all the bearings to make sure they are not causing trouble?

The Traxxas steel CVDs are great axles but I don't see you having a need for them yet.

But I don't have enough information about what the problem really is or which diff you upgraded to. So I am just going on default assumptions atm and giving my best guess.

RC Qualifier
    just get the rustler 4x4 shafts they work good , the rears
    I run them on 4s with no problems

Are CVD's worth it?

I agree with Role. I have the MIPís on one 2WD rustler, and the 4x4 shafts on another. The 4x4 shafts are waaaaay cheaper, and so far have held up really well with 3s use/abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    put a screw into the male end then cut it off with a demel , this keep the shafts from twisting if your using big power

Something you have to consider as well with the need for speed, beefing up one part means the next weakest link will break. It will get pretty expensive to get it "nearly bulletproof". Go with the 4x axles, less rotating mass and absorbs driveline shock. Older E or T Maxx are bigger yet (becoming extinct as well), 6mm at the hex and the tranny, requiring new bearings and shims on the output flanges. You would have to shorten the length as well (band saw works great), but lets you put more power through them, similar to the Maxx offering now.

RC Qualifier
    I have the FLM super gearbox , its been great , no more broken diffs , I do twist driveshafts once in a while but they are easy to fix , unlike a broken diff sun gear , If you do buy one , use loctite on all the screws I forgot and a few came loose , no biggy

good luck , Just avoid the metal stuff its not worth it imho