RC poster

First used Slash....What do I have?

I bought a used slash 4x4 and have been trying to get it back to 100% but problem is I'm not sure what I have. Its a brushless vxl and I'm guessing an ultimate because of the on board audio. How can I tell what shocks I have? They have blue metal caps but 2 if not 3 have bent shafts. Should I try to rebuild them or buy replacements?

Posting pics would make this easier but I'm not sure how yet...

RC Qualifier
    Use tapatalk for photos
    If you have Aluminum axle carriers it is an ultimate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Ok thanks. No alum carriers

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Are these rpm a arms normal? They appear bent

RC Qualifier
    Not ultimate it would have an upgrade servo and get shocks not big bore

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Not ultimate it would have an upgrade servo and get shocks not big bore

Ok so these are the big bore shocks? Would it be worthwhile to try to repair the bent ones ?

RC Qualifier
    Yes it would you could even upgrade to the titanium nitrate ones that have a gold color cheap option
    More expensive is to get proline shocks
    Most expensive is to upgrade the the gtr ones from traxxas

RC poster
    Ok I will look into getting the parts kit. I'm new to the hobby and got this one cheap. I'm not a driver that would really notice super high quality.

RC Qualifier
    Here are the shafts you could get

Front ones
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-TRA...cAAOSwzEVcWDMg

Rear ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-TRA...gAAOSw6JZcmQpN

RC poster
    I ordered some alum shock towers. The plastic ones seem to have leaned rearward allowing the shock to contact the upper links.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

Looks like a pretty good truck. It appears that your front shock shafts are bent. GTR shocks are the best upgrade in my opinion. If it were mine, I'd give it a good cleaning. That way you can better see what you are V working with.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawler1995 View Post
    Are these rpm a arms normal? They appear bent
    RPM arms have a tendency to bend like that. It usually happens over time as a car sits unused. Best thing to do is to use something as a stand so all 4 wheels are off the ground when the vehicle is not being used.

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    RPM arms have a tendency to bend like that. It usually happens over time as a car sits unused. Best thing to do is to use something as a stand so all 4 wheels are off the ground when the vehicle is not being used.
    Personally I really.like the a arms on the new Ultimate edition! They have a little flex to them but haven't bowed or bent since I hav had them.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

Looks like a pretty good truck. It appears that your front shock shafts are bent. GTR shocks are the best upgrade in my opinion. If it were mine, I'd give it a good cleaning. That way you can better see what you are V working with.
    Thanks! My 7 year old got interested in RC on YouTube and we got tired of cheap toys. I have bought 3 within the week. A Trx4 bronco, this 4x4 slash and a axial Bomber. All were used and needed a lil attention but for the most part were great trucks.

I knew I was taking a risk posting dirty pics! I know it's supposed to be waterproof, do you just wash in the sink with water? I just can't get comfortable throwing electronics underwater yet.

Easy enough to just use a hose outside and spray it off. But remember none of the stock metal hardware is even water resistant so expect rust fast if not dried.

The electronic are not "waterproof" only water resistant so never get them underwater/submerged.

I would not get the vehicle wet unless absolutely necessary. If you have any lawn, running it across the lawn will actually help with dust and dirt quite a bit. Otherwise I would recommend a combo of compressed air (Compressed air can, air compressor, or even a leaf blower all work well) and using dry or very slightly moist rags to wipe the vehicle off.

In most cases water will "hurt" the vehicle more than dust and dirt will. You can take the tires and things like the bumpers off easy enough and wash those, and of course you can always wash the body.

Compressed air is a concern near the electronics because the pressure can blow right passed the seals and push water and dirt into them and the bearings. If you are careful it can be used safely but from experience I will never use forced air on my vehicles. I am lazy but not that much to risk it. A friend of mine liked using his air compressor on his truck and one time blew the wires off his motor. Broke the solder off an everything. Another time he blew air through one of his fans and fried his ESC. Because fans become generator when powered by air to spin.

How RCSparks Studio does it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirIb57pL_4

How Jang did it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ey2etyauA4

This is also why I invest in stainless steel where ever I can.
    Last edited by zedorda; 11-02-2019 at 05:20 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the ideas guys! We enjoyed the trucks this weekend!

RC Qualifier

First used Slash....What do I have?

I ordered some alum shock towers. The plastic ones seem to have leaned rearward allowing the shock to contact the upper links.

Be careful with those... if you are tough on the truck they may cause more harm than good.
    The shocks are stock I believe but have upgraded caps. You should be able to replace the rods and be on your way. If you are going to upgrade - go for some traxxas GTR with VG racing springs. You can find all of it on eBay for around $70.
    I would recommend getting the new slash a arms. Pn 3655r. $12 from Jennysrc I believe.

Other than that, you might want some new tires, but honestly just have fun and when you break go from there.

What batteries are you running?

RC poster
    Thanks Ati

I'll keep a watch on the alum towers. They were cheap on Amazon. If they break are the Rpm towers the best solution?

I think after some research you are correct on the shocks. I gave them the redneck treatment of removing the springs and bending the shafts back halfway straight. I'm gonna keep a watch on ebay for a deal on a better option.

The tires are new. They are proline beadlocks and bfgs. Are they not pretty good? I know I have been slinging the foams out of the inner bead while running 3s....

For batterys it came with some junk nimh. I have a traxxas 3s 5000 that came with my trx4 I have been running. I'm afraid I damaged it though not realizing the esc was set with no low voltage cutoff. It will fast charge but not balance charge on the traxxas charger and seems to not last as long now.

I just ordered a set of these hrb 3s 4000. Decent choice?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Ati

I'll keep a watch on the alum towers. They were cheap on Amazon. If they break are the Rpm towers the best solution?

I think after some research you are correct on the shocks. I gave them the redneck treatment of removing the springs and bending the shafts back halfway straight. I'm gonna keep a watch on ebay for a deal on a better option.

The tires are new. They are proline beadlocks and bfgs. Are they not pretty good? I know I have been slinging the foams out of the inner bead while running 3s....

For batterys it came with some junk nimh. I have a traxxas 3s 5000 that came with my trx4 I have been running. I'm afraid I damaged it though not realizing the esc was set with no low voltage cutoff. It will fast charge but not balance charge on the traxxas charger and seems to not last as long now.

I just ordered a set of these hrb 3s 4000. Decent choice?

The beadlocks should be good. Just think about some proline treads like badlands or trenchers whenever the stock ones go.

Iíve never seen those batteries but they seem to have good reviews. Just be gentle. For future reference SMC has quality batteries and very good customer support.

Also: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-10-Trax...ss!78731!US!-1