RC Qualifier

Servo recommendation

So the Hi-Tec micro servo in my used Merv was acting wonky. I would mechanically center the arm on the servo and when Iíd reconnect power I would have to adjust trim to get it to center again. Well yesterday I lost all steering and there was a puff of smoke and ozone burning smell from the aftermarket servo.
    Now that I have to shop for a new one does anyone have recommendations? Traxxas 2080?, aftermarket? What are your thoughts?

RC poster
    The 2080 that's in the VXL now is'nt very good, so i ended up purchasing the SAVOX WP IP67

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by K24CRX View Post
    The 2080 that's in the VXL now is'nt very good, so i ended up purchasing the SAVOX WP IP67
    Thank you for the advice . I have also noticed the HiTec I’m replacing is quite inexpensive, but maybe that’s why it burned up.

RC Champion
    Just be mindful about the hitec. Make sure itís a digital servo. If not youíll have issues with it! Been there and done that!!!

I broke the stock servo in my MERV in the first few runs. Traxxas sent out a rebuild kit right away but I had already decided to only use it as a backup. I bought the Savox SW-0250MG waterproof servo the day the stock one broke. It has served me great for years now without any issues. Doesn't even need a glitch buster.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RC Qualifier
    That’s all great advice . I’ll
    Shop around for sure.

RC Competitor
    +1 on the Savox SW-0250mg. Recently installed one in my Merv

RC Enthusiast
    +1 with Savox. Color isn't the best so I just threw some paint on mine

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I broke the stock servo in my MERV in the first few runs. Traxxas sent out a rebuild kit right away but I had already decided to only use it as a backup. I bought the Savox SW-0250MG waterproof servo the day the stock one broke. It has served me great for years now without any issues. Doesn't even need a glitch buster.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Sorry to visit such an old thread, but my Merv kinda sat on the shelf during winter. The little fella isn’t great in deep snow.
    Now that it is better 1/16 weather, I’m revisiting .
    I’m looking at either the Savox Zedorda recommended or Jenny’s has a 2080 for $20.
    But given the reviews from the community, I think $10 more for the Savox seems like a better option .

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    ...Iím looking at either the Savox Zedorda recommended or Jennyís has a 2080 for $20.
    But given the reviews from the community, I think $10 more for the Savox seems like a better option .
    I purchased the savox SW-0250mg, when mine stripped. For $30 it is a great upgrade. It was night and day difference.

You can say that I'm a Traxxas fan, but that stock servo w/plastic gears doesn't hold up in the MERV or mini summit.

RC Competitor
    Listen to Zadorda

RC Enthusiast
    Uh oh. I maybe should've checked the forums first. Bought the 2080X after stripping plastic gears. Anyone with any experience with it?

The 2085x has metal gears so they won't strip like the stock plastic servo gears. Most go with the Savox because it's cheaper with a little more torque. If you already have it installed no worries, it is better than the stock one.

RC poster
    Savox all the way!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I recently upgraded to the Savox servo and replaced the plastic bushings in the steering assembly with bearings. Major improvement in steering for sure. Now... I'm trying to find an aluminum servo horn because I keep breaking the plastic one.

RC Enthusiast
    So I have this "old" 2080 laying around with stripped plastic gears, and thought, maybe I could put some metal gears for the 2080X on it for a few bucks and have dual servos! I emailed Traxxas and they said there's no difference between the 2080 and the 2080X other than case color and metal gears. That means 2 things, I can run dual 2080X's for cheap (for me, now), and the 2080X is a total ripoff and was a real waste of money for me. Split the difference I guess.

RC Enthusiast
    I called Traxxas and they told me the housing for 2080x was slightly different, part of the reason I opted for the Savox.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerWeasel View Post
    ...I can run dual 2080X's...
    Be careful running dual. In order for it to work well you would need to find or make an adjustable link on one servo side. If you use the stock nonadjustable link on both sides the servos will be constantly fighting each other.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Be careful running dual. In order for it to work well you would need to find or make an adjustable link on one servo side. If you use the stock nonadjustable link on both sides the servos will be constantly fighting each other.
    How can one tell if they're fighting each other? If they're the same servo, and you set them up at the same zero point, shouldn't they hold pretty true?

The servos would have the same center position or neutral. It's the splines where you mount the servo arm on that would be different. If you turned both servos on and installed a servo arm they wouldn't be exactly the same.

As an example:One servo arm could be installed straight up. Then when you try to install the arm on the other servo it wouldn't be straight up. It would be either slightly left or slightly right.

And if you try to use the transmitter trim to align them, both servos would move not just one.

RC Enthusiast