RC Competitor

Studded tires for winter?

Hey,
    So with winter sneaking up on us pretty quick here in Canada, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with studding tires for use in winter? I'm planning on using a $20 set of unglued short course wheels and tires from wish.com so that if this doesn't work out, I'm only down $20 and not $70-80 like I would be if I used a proper set of tires (like Pro-line). I'm thinking of using m3 button head machine screws and poking holes in the tire and pushing the screws out from the inside? I'd just like to see what everybody else's opinion/experience is.
    Thanks!
    I quit using auto-correct. It's changed everythong

Quote Originally Posted by FireSlashRacer View Post
    Hey,
    So with winter sneaking up on us pretty quick here in Canada, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with studding tires for use in winter? I'm planning on using a $20 set of unglued short course wheels and tires from wish.com so that if this doesn't work out, I'm only down $20 and not $70-80 like I would be if I used a proper set of tires (like Pro-line). I'm thinking of using m3 button head machine screws and poking holes in the tire and pushing the screws out from the inside? I'd just like to see what everybody else's opinion/experience is.
    Thanks!
    I live in New England, and have lots of experience in the snow. My opinion is that most RCís arenít really heavy enough to see a big benefit from studded tires in snow. Now if your talking about running in glare ice, Iíd say definitely.

If youíre running in snow, hands down- paddle tires. The traxxas ones are really nice, sand paws are great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I made a set almost exactly as you described above.i also taped the insides with Gorilla tape .they did work great on glare ice . But as RC Dad states, paddles are better in deep snow.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I made a set almost exactly as you described above.i also taped the insides with Gorilla tape .they did work great on glare ice . But as RC Dad states, paddles are better in deep snow.
    Ok, thanks for the insight. For some reason I had always thought that paddle tires wouldn't make a big difference in the snow. Would I need to get paddles on all 4 corners or would I be fine with running them just in the rear? I'm currently using 2.8" Trenchers, which seem to do alright in the snow, but I've also never tried sand paddles in the snow either.

Which model of the Stampede 4x4 do you have? If you have the brushed model, do you still have your stock tires handy? The stock tires (2.8 Talon) that come with the VXL model are probably the worst tires for snow, but the stock tires (2.8 MAXX) that come with the brushed model are actually amazing for snow. They have a tread pattern that is very tall. Probably the closest thing to paddle tires out there that you will ever see on a stock tire. Since they are stock tires (Part# 6771 for a pair) you can find them basically anywhere.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6771

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Which model of the Stampede 4x4 do you have? If you have the brushed model, do you still have your stock tires handy? The stock tires (2.8 Talon) that come with the VXL model are probably the worst tires for snow, but the stock tires (2.8 MAXX) that come with the brushed model are actually amazing for snow. They have a tread pattern that is very tall. Probably the closest thing to paddle tires out there that you will ever see on a stock tire. Since they are stock tires (Part# 6771 for a pair) you can find them basically anywhere.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6771
    Mine is a VXL, I bought it used and the stock Talons had been run in water so the foams were done for, I ended up just throwing them away. The MAXXs look like they cost about the same as a pre-mounted set of Proline Sand Paws, so I guess that now the question is which one is better for snow?

Quote Originally Posted by FireSlashRacer View Post
    The MAXXs look like they cost about the same as a pre-mounted set of Proline Sand Paws, so I guess that now the question is which one is better for snow?
    Well the Sand Paws might have a slight advantage in the snow, but are you actually going to be running them in 100% snow? The problem with paddle tires in general is that they are simply horrible on other surfaces besides snow, especially flat surfaces. Even when there is lots of snow on the ground, there are almost always other surfaces in the same general area, like the street for example, that are usually still clear of snow. With something like the 2.8 MAXX tires, they work great on all surfaces, so you can go from the street onto the snow bank and back and forth no problem.

Also keep in mind that the listed price on the Traxxas website is MSRP for the tires you get if you simply walk into a hobby store and buy a pair 2.8 MAXX tires in the official Traxxas part bag. But you also have tons of people on places like eBay who buy complete trucks and part them out. Since the 2.8 MAXX tires are the stock tires on the brushed model, you can find a TON of them on eBay from parted out vehicles, in most cases considerably cheaper than the price of an official replacement pair from Traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    Just remember, whatever tires you run in snow, tape o’er the vent hole
    In the run so you don’t get water build up in the foam inserts

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Well the Sand Paws might have a slight advantage in the snow, but are you actually going to be running them in 100% snow? The problem with paddle tires in general is that they are simply horrible on other surfaces besides snow, especially flat surfaces. Even when there is lots of snow on the ground, there are almost always other surfaces in the same general area, like the street for example, that are usually still clear of snow. With something like the 2.8 MAXX tires, they work great on all surfaces, so you can go from the street onto the snow bank and back and forth no problem.

Also keep in mind that the listed price on the Traxxas website is MSRP for the tires you get if you simply walk into a hobby store and buy a pair 2.8 MAXX tires in the official Traxxas part bag. But you also have tons of people on places like eBay who buy complete trucks and part them out. Since the 2.8 MAXX tires are the stock tires on the brushed model, you can find a TON of them on eBay from parted out vehicles, in most cases considerably cheaper than the price of an official replacement pair from Traxxas.
    The road in front of my house is gravel, which gets covered with snow pretty quick, but mostly icy snow. accross the street is still a farmer's field which would be my main venue for driving in the snow, which is why I thought the sand paddles would be good for me, as I can easily switch back to my trenchers if I go somewhere that does have more flat street. Thanks for all of the info, I think that this would be helpful to anyone looking for snow tires for their rig.

I use a set of Traxxas Terra Spiked 2.2 which work well foamless plus I vent the tire with 4 holes on the outside of the tire. Then I also have a set of snow chains I throw on for ice. Isn't a perfect solution but has worked best for me so far.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...gaAmiSEALw_wcB