RC poster

Upgrade stock shocks?

I'm curious if there is a reason to upgrade the stock slash shocks? (standard 4x4 w/ 12T).

I feel like they are 'too soft', but by no means am I an expert - hence why I am posting here. I have read that some have changed the oil weight and had good results - should I start there?

If I were to upgrade the shocks, what are good options. Basically just ripping around and having fun. Most of the terrain would be dirt/low grass/sand.

Thanks!

I you are going to upgrade your shocks I highly recommend you get a set of GTR shocks! I have tried Pro-Line Racing Power Strokes, Traxxas Ultras and Traxxas Big Bores. GTR shocks are the best of the bunch
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I would just keep tuning the stockers until you get to a spot where you like them. Springs and shock oil are far cheaper then a set of upgraded shocks that would most likely have to be tuned anyway.

Here is a link to some good videos on the basics of shock tuning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQykao20ifw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z16X-lKOMhw

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I you are going to upgrade your shocks I highly recommend you get a set of GTR shocks! I have tried Pro-Line Racing Power Strokes, Traxxas Ultras and Traxxas Big Bores. GTR shocks are the best of the bunch
    +1

Upgrade, most definitely. The question most ask is, "Which upgrades?". At minimum, I'd replace the stock plastic shock caps with the aluminum caps. If you don't mind spending more...and having a MUCH better suspension...you can replace the stock shocks work Traxxas GTR shocks (they also come in different colors, if you're interested). While the Traxxas springs are 'good', I'd recommend the Losi Front (LOSB2959) & Rear (LOSB2963) Shock Spring Tuning sets. The List springs perfectly for the GTR shocks...plus, as reach kit includes 4 different weights, you can get the front & rear set to your liking. As for oil weight(s), that you'll have to "play around" with to determine what works best for you.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hammie4c View Post
    I would just keep tuning the stockers until you get to a spot where you like them. Springs and shock oil are far cheaper then a set of upgraded shocks that would most likely have to be tuned anyway.

Here is a link to some good videos on the basics of shock tuning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQykao20ifw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z16X-lKOMhw
    I second this
    If you do upgrade I would Also consider stock shocks with aluminum caps .

How much tuning of the stock shocks have you done? If you haven't, then do not recommend upgrading, you'll only get a marginal performance improvement, and they will be set up in an arbitrary fashion. If your shocks are too soft you can adjust preload, oil thickness, change out the springs, or move the shocks to different locations. There are some great videos on YouTube about how to tune shocks. If you do upgrade, and shocks are a great one to do, recommend watching a few tuning videos to learn how to get the most out of your upgrade.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Thanks for the ideas, suggestions, and links so far!

I have not attempted any tuning of the shocks as of yet. I do know you can 'play' with the hole placement, but I read somewhere that can elongate the hole and do damage if moved from the 'stock' position just due to the overall design, not sure if there is any truth in that or not.

I do like the idea of tuning the shocks 1st to see what I can get out for them - I think adjusting the pre-load and the oil thickness would be a start....but I'll watch the youtube videos over the next few days and see what I can learn there as well.

As always, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    I have not attempted any tuning of the shocks as of yet. I do know you can 'play' with the hole placement, but I read somewhere that can elongate the hole and do damage if moved from the 'stock' position just due to the overall design, not sure if there is any truth in that or not. As always, thank you.
    Never heard of that before, anyone else?

You should be able to move the shocks all you want with no damage.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Never heard of that before, anyone else?

You should be able to move the shocks all you want with no damage.
    I thought it was a bit odd myself as I doubt they would give adjustment slots if issues were to happen. I read it on a forum, and there were no contradictions below it so I was not sure.

I did watch a few of the video's last night and have a better idea how to tune and adjust and what will work best for what I am wanting to accomplish. I am sure this will be a bit of trial and error. One change/adjustment at a time though.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas, suggestions, and links so far!

I have not attempted any tuning of the shocks as of yet. I do know you can 'play' with the hole placement, but I read somewhere that can elongate the hole and do damage if moved from the 'stock' position just due to the overall design, not sure if there is any truth in that or not.

I do like the idea of tuning the shocks 1st to see what I can get out for them - I think adjusting the pre-load and the oil thickness would be a start....but I'll watch the youtube videos over the next few days and see what I can learn there as well.

As always, thank you.
    Iíve had my slashes for many years now and have moved the shocks to pretty much every hole possible and never had any damage to the shock tower or a-arm holes. At least, no damage that wasnít caused by hitting an immovable object. Lol.

RC Competitor
    Switch to proline

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan View Post
    Switch to proline
    Or the Traxxas GTR. On one of my Rustler 4x4s, I had upgrades to the Pro-Line ProSpec shocks, and I'll admit they are extremely good. However, in converting the Rusty, I switched to the GTRs, and I gotta say, they are even better. They're so good, I'd put them on-par with the TLR shocks on my 8ight-XE.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

The GTR's will give you more tuning options as you can then run the VDK in them. That's what I have on my stampede 4x4 with the gtr's. I drilled the holes in the pistons out to 1/16" (smallest bit I had) and run 70wt associated oil with vg racing dual rate springs. Killer combo for big jumps. Just a bit on the costly side.

On the stampede, I did use dubro monster ball ends after dremeling the dome part off so they were flat on top to make the front shocks a few mm longer which helped my stampede sit more level.

That was more of a personal preference though probably.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If youíre gonna switch. I second the GTRís. I love them on my P4de

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this conversation like 3 years ago when I first got my slash 4x4 and I ended up just keeping the shocks that came with it which were the big bore shocks.

Only thing is they need preload clips instead of being threaded and I abuse my truck and have never bent them.

Can get a set of 4 replacements for less then one pair of GTRs and they come with oil and springs.

The only upgrade is running Losi sprigs because I don't like progressive springs.

Edit: yes GTRs are probably better

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spunkybob; 11-30-2019 at 04:14 PM.

I only went with the GTR's because the VDK pistons fit in them. Then I could slow the compression with heavier oil while still having relatively quick rebound to make it less "bouncy" in the rough stuff.

That said, I ended up drilling the holes out in the vdk pistons as they were so small I would have had to run 20wt oil, which I don't have much of. I have a bunch of 40-80, so figured drilling them out made more sense then I don't have to buy a bunch of 10-40wt to figure out what works for just that truck.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Stock Traxxas shocks are great. If you have issues with them you can switch to other Traxxas shocks or Proline, but if not I say leave them.

You can obviously tune them with new springs and oil if they are too soft. And you can put aluminum caps on the shocks for durability, but I don't see a reason to change them other than to have more aluminum bling.