Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tires

  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3

    Tires

    Blew the inner sidewall out of my rear passenger tire. Do I need to replace all 4 tires, just the rear, or just the one that was damaged?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    70
    You should be fine to just replace the damaged one.

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gusd2 View Post
    You should be fine to just replace the damaged one.
    Gotcha! I was hoping that was the case. I ordered all 4, but will just make sure they're not noticeably different.

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    70
    Unless youíre gunning for 100mph +, I donít expect youíre going to see much impact on just replacing the damaged unit.

    Iíve recently been running GRP 1/8 belted tires and have been pretty impressed. Their not as tall as oem (hence less top speed and donít fill out the wheel well as much) but so far are proving to be more durable.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier kzsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    278
    I damaged one of mine hitting a curb , got 4 new ones as my tires were used ÖÖ...
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1
    To save money, maybe you should just replace a broken tire

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    626
    If you go to discount tire they will tell you to buy at least the pair

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    If you go to discount tire they will tell you to buy at least the pair
    Thatís funny!

    On my AWD, they wanted me to change all 4, when I got a nail in one and blew out the sidewall.

  9. #9
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Norfolk va
    Posts
    22
    If it’s a Subaru and you value your transmission and differentials you might want to or at least have the new tire shaved down. There’s a listed tolerance for your cars tires, you should look it up and compare it to what you’re running.

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    If itís a Subaru and you value your transmission and differentials you might want to or at least have the new tire shaved down. Thereís a listed tolerance for your cars tires, you should look it up and compare it to what youíre running.
    Itís an Audi, but yah same thing. This was last year and I canít remember the tolerance but I think it was in the 2/32 range. Ended up buying 2 new for the rear axle because the fronts were within range.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,128
    In my professional amateur opinion, you should change your XO-1 wheels in sets. If you blow a rear tire you should change both rears, and if you change a front tire you should change both fronts. I wrote a post (a while back) on how you can tell when a XO-1 wheel is about ready to break loose. It's easy to do.

    You measure and keep track of the shrinking circumference of the wheel as it wears. To find these values, what I did was, I first measured the circumference of a new wheel, then I measured the circumference of a wheel without any rubber (belt exposed), and then I added a smidge to that base (exposed belt) value.

    On the top of my head I don't remember what those values were, but I do have them written down somewhere in my secret RC book. When I get a chance I'll post them again, but all you have to do (when you know the minimum safe circumference measurement) is change your tire set when you hit the minimum circumference.

    Doing this has worked out great for me, and keeps me from having unexpected blowouts, or having to bring along an extra set of tires. Changing in sets, lets me save money (rather than changing all four), and doesn't sacrifice performance (as what would happen by changing just one tire at a time).
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-15-2019 at 05:22 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,128
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    In my professional amateur opinion, you should change your XO-1 wheels in sets. If you blow a rear tire you should change both rears, and if you change a front tire you should change both fronts. I wrote a post (a while back) on how you can tell when a XO-1 wheel is about ready to break loose. It's easy to do.

    You measure and keep track of the shrinking circumference of the wheel as it wears. To find these values, what I did was, I first measured the circumference of a new wheel, then I measured the circumference of a wheel without any rubber (belt exposed), and then I added a smidge to that base (exposed belt) value.

    On the top of my head I don't remember what those values were, but I do have them written down somewhere in my secret RC book. When I get a chance I'll post them again, but all you have to do (when you know the minimum safe circumference measurement) is change your tire set when you hit the minimum circumference.

    Doing this has worked out great for me, and keeps me from having unexpected blowouts, or having to bring along an extra set of tires. Changing in sets, lets me save money (rather than changing all four), and doesn't sacrifice performance (as what would happen by changing just one tire at a time).
    Tire circumference (New): 13 and 9/16 inches.
    Tire circumference (Need to change): 13 and 3/16 inches.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •