Thread: Tires

RC poster

Tires

Blew the inner sidewall out of my rear passenger tire. Do I need to replace all 4 tires, just the rear, or just the one that was damaged?

Thanks

RC Competitor
    You should be fine to just replace the damaged one.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gusd2 View Post
    You should be fine to just replace the damaged one.
    Gotcha! I was hoping that was the case. I ordered all 4, but will just make sure they're not noticeably different.

RC Competitor
    Unless youíre gunning for 100mph +, I donít expect youíre going to see much impact on just replacing the damaged unit.

Iíve recently been running GRP 1/8 belted tires and have been pretty impressed. Their not as tall as oem (hence less top speed and donít fill out the wheel well as much) but so far are proving to be more durable.

I damaged one of mine hitting a curb , got 4 new ones as my tires were used ÖÖ...
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

RC poster
    To save money, maybe you should just replace a broken tire

RC Qualifier
    If you go to discount tire they will tell you to buy at least the pair

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    If you go to discount tire they will tell you to buy at least the pair
    Thatís funny!

On my AWD, they wanted me to change all 4, when I got a nail in one and blew out the sidewall.

RC Enthusiast
    If it’s a Subaru and you value your transmission and differentials you might want to or at least have the new tire shaved down. There’s a listed tolerance for your cars tires, you should look it up and compare it to what you’re running.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    If itís a Subaru and you value your transmission and differentials you might want to or at least have the new tire shaved down. Thereís a listed tolerance for your cars tires, you should look it up and compare it to what youíre running.
    Itís an Audi, but yah same thing. This was last year and I canít remember the tolerance but I think it was in the 2/32 range. Ended up buying 2 new for the rear axle because the fronts were within range.

In my professional amateur opinion, you should change your XO-1 wheels in sets. If you blow a rear tire you should change both rears, and if you change a front tire you should change both fronts. I wrote a post (a while back) on how you can tell when a XO-1 wheel is about ready to break loose. It's easy to do.

You measure and keep track of the shrinking circumference of the wheel as it wears. To find these values, what I did was, I first measured the circumference of a new wheel, then I measured the circumference of a wheel without any rubber (belt exposed), and then I added a smidge to that base (exposed belt) value.

On the top of my head I don't remember what those values were, but I do have them written down somewhere in my secret RC book. When I get a chance I'll post them again, but all you have to do (when you know the minimum safe circumference measurement) is change your tire set when you hit the minimum circumference.

Doing this has worked out great for me, and keeps me from having unexpected blowouts, or having to bring along an extra set of tires. Changing in sets, lets me save money (rather than changing all four), and doesn't sacrifice performance (as what would happen by changing just one tire at a time).
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-15-2019 at 05:22 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    In my professional amateur opinion, you should change your XO-1 wheels in sets. If you blow a rear tire you should change both rears, and if you change a front tire you should change both fronts. I wrote a post (a while back) on how you can tell when a XO-1 wheel is about ready to break loose. It's easy to do.

You measure and keep track of the shrinking circumference of the wheel as it wears. To find these values, what I did was, I first measured the circumference of a new wheel, then I measured the circumference of a wheel without any rubber (belt exposed), and then I added a smidge to that base (exposed belt) value.

On the top of my head I don't remember what those values were, but I do have them written down somewhere in my secret RC book. When I get a chance I'll post them again, but all you have to do (when you know the minimum safe circumference measurement) is change your tire set when you hit the minimum circumference.

Doing this has worked out great for me, and keeps me from having unexpected blowouts, or having to bring along an extra set of tires. Changing in sets, lets me save money (rather than changing all four), and doesn't sacrifice performance (as what would happen by changing just one tire at a time).
    Tire circumference (New): 13 and 9/16 inches.
    Tire circumference (Need to change): 13 and 3/16 inches.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.