Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3

    Traxxas summit battery information and advice wanted.

    Hi, im looking to purchase this https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/301053/ for my son for christmas, ive been told the battery that comes with the truck has a run time of around 15 minutes, what im wanting to know is what is the best way to increase the run time of the truck . Do I buy a new battery or another battery the same and run dual batteries. Im new to all of this so i litrally know nothing 🙄. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
    Thankyou.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    N Dakota USA
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris rim View Post
    Hi, im looking to purchase this https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/301053/ for my son for christmas, ive been told the battery that comes with the truck has a run time of around 15 minutes, what im wanting to know is what is the best way to increase the run time of the truck . Do I buy a new battery or another battery the same and run dual batteries. Im new to all of this so i litrally know nothing ��. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
    Thankyou.
    The summit can use either dual niMh batteries in either series or parallel ( for more run time or more power) or single or dual 2s Lipo batteries in parallel for more run time .either way a Lipo battery will give you a little more runtime and and more punch than the NiMh that comes with the RTR kit.

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    The summit can use either dual niMh batteries in either series or parallel ( for more run time or more power) or single or dual 2s Lipo batteries in parallel for more run time .either way a Lipo battery will give you a little more runtime and and more punch than the NiMh that comes with the RTR kit.
    Thankyou, do the lipo batteries require a different charger to the one in the rtr kit. Thanks.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    N Dakota USA
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris rim View Post
    Thankyou, do the lipo batteries require a different charger to the one in the rtr kit. Thanks.
    Yes, I think the one that comes with the kit is for NiMh

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    325
    If you never had an RC vehicle before or have battery knowledge I would stick with NiMh batteries. Lipo batteries require more care and maintenance. NiMh batteries are more forgiving and cheaper. Buy a second NiMh battery and a better charger and run them as a single setup. This way you can run the truck while the other battery is charging. Later on you can always upgrade to Lipo.

    As an example: when your son is done running the truck after the battery is dead. He stores it away till next time he wants to use it. With NiMh batteries he can charge them back up when he wants to use the truck. If you had Lipo batteries they would have to be stored at a storage charge level. If they weren't and they were stored at a low voltage level that could ruin the batteries.

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3
    Thanks very much everyone, much appreciated

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    8,622
    There is a lot of information available about Lipo batteries. I have owned a few hundred of them and never had a single issue. I have had two NiMH batteries pop open during charging. In my opinion the difference in danger when using Lipo compared to NiMH is slightly exaggerated. NiMH also needs the right attention.

    As long as you follow instructions and use the correct charger, Lipo can be used without problems. Looking at capacity per dollar and life span, Lipo is even cheaper than NiMH.
    A quality charger helps to keep your Lipo batteries alive longer.
    Nobody is born with experience

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •