Selling a Slash on EBay. What scams should I look out for?

I listed a used (opened, never used) Slash 4x4 VXL with some extra parts on eBay the other day, and thereís currently an open auction running.

Iíve never sold on eBay, but in doing a little research, it seems that as a seller, it can be a bit risky. Does anybody have any advice, any red flags to look out for?

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    I listed a used (opened, never used) Slash 4x4 VXL with some extra parts on eBay the other day, and thereís currently an open auction running.

Iíve never sold on eBay, but in doing a little research, it seems that as a seller, it can be a bit risky. Does anybody have any advice, any red flags to look out for?

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

I'd say as long as you have plenty of clear pictures, and the details of the listing are accurate, you'll be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by puzzleluvr100 View Post
    I'd say as long as you have plenty of clear pictures, and the details of the listing are accurate, you'll be fine.

Cool. Thatís what Iím hoping too. This is the listing (if my copy/paste skills are up to snuff)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F392519036767

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    Cool. Thatís what Iím hoping too. This is the listing (if my copy/paste skills are up to snuff)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F392519036767

Seems pretty good.

DO NOT make any modifications if the buyer requests them. It is a classic scam that a buyer will buy an item, then ask you to modify or remove something before you ship it, these requests normally are sent outside of E-Bay's messaging system. Being a nice guy, you'll do what is requested, then the seller will claim that the item did not come as listed, E-Bay will refund the seller, allowing him to keep the item.

Recommend listing locally first, Craig's or FB, that way the transaction is immediately cash-in-hand. You will not be subject to all of E-Bay's rules and fees.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    DO NOT make any modifications if the buyer requests them. It is a classic scam that a buyer will buy an item, then ask you to modify or remove something before you ship it, these requests normally are sent outside of E-Bay's messaging system. Being a nice guy, you'll do what is requested, then the seller will claim that the item did not come as listed, E-Bay will refund the seller, allowing him to keep the item.

Recommend listing locally first, Craig's or FB, that way the transaction is immediately cash-in-hand. You will not be subject to all of E-Bay's rules and fees.
    Thanks for that bit of info! Iím definitely NOT making any mods after sale. In fact, immediately after taking those pics, I meticulously wrapped and packed the entire box with as much packing paper as was practical.

Unfortunately, too late to try and sell locally at this point, just hoping that my eventual buyer is a stand-up person. I bought a used B4.1 from a private seller on eBay, and had a good experience, hoping for the same.

Also, I gave a guy that forgot his wallet $2 at the gas station tonight so he could get home. Hoping for some positive karma or whatever

If someone says another deal fell through so they're sending you a cashier's check for more than you're asking with the provision you let it clear your bank and wire them the overage PASS! It's a scam!

RC Qualifier
    My recommendation would be to list everywhere locally and use eBay as a last resort.
    If you must use eBay then specify collection only.
    The reason I say this is even though you have specified 'Returns not accepted' on your listing, this actually means nothing. The buyer can still return the item and you are forced to refund.

For example, lets say the item sells.
    Buyer pays via PayPal.
    You ship using a tracked service so your have proof of delivery.

Now, if the buyer wants to return due to change of mind, then you do not need to accept as the listing stated no returns. You keep the money. The Buyer keeps the item. At worst, you risk receiving a negative feedback. No biggie.

However, if the buyer returns the item stating 'Not as described' or that it doesn't work in some way (even if it does work 100% fine), then you are FORCED to accept the return and issue a refund. Its a really poor loophole.
    So the buyer could, for instance, take delivery of the item, use and abuse it, then 2 weeks later decide they don't want it, or even worse they may break something on it, and simply state the reason is 'not as described' - saying the damage was already there.
    There may be nothing wrong with it at all, but the reason for return is still that its not as described or doesn't work in some way.

Now you are forced to not only accept the return, but you have to pay the return postage costs too.
    So you receive a used or damaged item, and are out ebay fee's, PayPal fee's, and postage cost to and from the buyer!

Hence I will only sell something like this on eBay and specify its collection only. Yes this limits your prospective market to more local areas, but I'm happy to wait for the sale to the right person without risk of the above scenarios.

Note: do NOT accept PayPal for a collection - if you do then the buyer can raise a claim saying they didn't receive it since you have no tracking info, hence they will keep the item AND get a full refund.
    Always take either a bank transfer or cash on a collection.

Hope this helps.
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    My recommendation would be to list everywhere locally and use eBay as a last resort.
    If you must use eBay then specify collection only.
    The reason I say this is even though you have specified 'Returns not accepted' on your listing, this actually means nothing. The buyer can still return the item and you are forced to refund.

For example, lets say the item sells.
    Buyer pays via PayPal.
    You ship using a tracked service so your have proof of delivery.

Now, if the buyer wants to return due to change of mind, then you do not need to accept as the listing stated no returns. You keep the money. The Buyer keeps the item. At worst, you risk receiving a negative feedback. No biggie.

However, if the buyer returns the item stating 'Not as described' or that it doesn't work in some way (even if it does work 100% fine), then you are FORCED to accept the return and issue a refund. Its a really poor loophole.
    So the buyer could, for instance, take delivery of the item, use and abuse it, then 2 weeks later decide they don't want it, or even worse they may break something on it, and simply state the reason is 'not as described' - saying the damage was already there.
    There may be nothing wrong with it at all, but the reason for return is still that its not as described or doesn't work in some way.

Now you are forced to not only accept the return, but you have to pay the return postage costs too.
    So you receive a used or damaged item, and are out ebay fee's, PayPal fee's, and postage cost to and from the buyer!

Hence I will only sell something like this on eBay and specify its collection only. Yes this limits your prospective market to more local areas, but I'm happy to wait for the sale to the right person without risk of the above scenarios.

Note: do NOT accept PayPal for a collection - if you do then the buyer can raise a claim saying they didn't receive it since you have no tracking info, hence they will keep the item AND get a full refund.
    Always take either a bank transfer or cash on a collection.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info! I was actually reading that the buyer can send you back a brick in the box, and as soon as tracking shows Iíve received it, the funds are released. Strange that the whole process would be set up in a way that creates a system that enables fraud and abuse on behalf of the buyer.

I really just want to be rid of this thing, and so will probably just accept a bit of risk as such. I buy tons of stuff on eBay, even used sometimes, and Iíve never tried to scam a seller. Hopefully, Iíll luck out.

Thanks again for the helpful info. I appreciate your input.

RC Qualifier
    No probs - best of luck with the sale. I hope it all works out fine in the end.
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

Thanks!

RC poster
    Your starting bid amount was good, but it may not get to $500.

Go through your list of bids and check their feedback.

I like buyers with lots of transaction history.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoombah View Post
    Your starting bid amount was good, but it may not get to $500.

Go through your list of bids and check their feedback.

I like buyers with lots of transaction history.
    Ha! Yeah, I donít know what I was thinking... in my head, I know everything is essentially brand new, but realistically, youíre just never going to get that much back.

RC poster
    Yep, rule of thumb is 50% of new price (even though it is like new) and the upgrades don't add to the price, but they do add value which helps the sale happen.

I have over 700 sales of used hobby items (rc cars/parts and model trains) and have only had problems with international sales.

Approaching the holiday season now, I think you should have a clean transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoombah View Post
    Yep, rule of thumb is 50% of new price (even though it is like new) and the upgrades don't add to the price, but they do add value which helps the sale happen.

I have over 700 sales of used hobby items (rc cars/parts and model trains) and have only had problems with international sales.

Approaching the holiday season now, I think you should have a clean transaction.
    Well I guess based on the rule of thumb, Iím doing alright. Hoping like you said, itís a smooth transaction.

Take it easy!

RC Qualifier
    It's funny alot of you mention the scams that go on with using pay pal. This is why I only take cash when selling something. When I do sell something I use a local classifieds and cash sell only. Recently I just sold a new used fridge and someone wanted to pay me using pay pal and thet would send movers. Anyway I passed on the whole deal since they did not want to pay cash. Waited for someone who was willing to pay cash upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    It's funny alot of you mention the scams that go on with using pay pal. This is why I only take cash when selling something. When I do sell something I use a local classifieds and cash sell only. Recently I just sold a new used fridge and someone wanted to pay me using pay pal and thet would send movers. Anyway I passed on the whole deal since they did not want to pay cash. Waited for someone who was willing to pay cash upfront.
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    The only time I payed someone local with PP was when I found the Tonka truck I wanted on FB Marketplace for my TRX4-Tonka build the night before I leave town for a week. I messaged the seller and asked if he'd hold the Tonka for me if I payed him half through PP. He agreed, and a week later I picked up the Tonka, paying him the rest in cash.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The only time I payed someone local with PP was when I found the Tonka truck I wanted on FB Marketplace for my TRX4-Tonka build the night before I leave town for a week. I messaged the seller and asked if he'd hold the Tonka for me if I payed him half through PP. He agreed, and a week later I picked up the Tonka, paying him the rest in cash.

Iíd never sold anything before, so I was wary of all the options. In the end it came to already being a member of eBay, and having a much larger pool of prospective buyers.

I definitely took a little bit of a hit on the sale, but it was worth it in the end. Iíll probably never sell anymore RCís, just be more careful about impulse buying things I probably shouldnít. As much as I like the Slash, the Pro MT 4x4 was just too alluring.

eBay isn't a scam, but they gouge you to list it, to sell it, and then PayPal (also owned by eBay) takes a chunk.

RC Competitor
    OP, glad your sale went well. Ebay isn't that bad. I have been selling RC stuff on Ebay since 2009. 99% of it has been positive. By the way, no one can contact you outside of Ebay unless you give them an email address. The biggest issue I have had is a winner of an auction not paying. That's why I list most items as a Buy-It-Now. Might take longer to sell but you control the price. Ebay charges 10% selling fee. PayPal takes 3%. Then there's shipping. As long as you know this, you can figure out your dollar amount after the sale. My profit from my sales on Ebay have made the hobby free for me and I have quite a collection of trucks.

CL is the worst to sell on. Everyone wants something for nothing. FB Marketplace is a little better. Between the two, I have sold less than 10 trucks in the last 10 years. I have sold 100's of trucks on Ebay. Just my experience. YMMV