Thread: Fried Rx, ESC??

RC Competitor

Fried Rx, ESC??

I'm running a HW max 5 / 1100kv motor combo in a X-Maxx. 2 minutes into a run I lost all power ie. motor, servo, cooling fans. Tried different Lipos no change. The only thing working was the ESC power light. Things get kind of interesting for me here.
    I installed a spare Max 6 esc and the Traxxas Rx started smoking a soon as I powered on the ESC. Swapped that Rx for a spare Traxxas Rx I had & everything works.? Any idea what would cause an ESC failure AND literally fry the receiver?
    FWIW I run 2 x 3s, 5000mah, 25c Traxxas batteries w/ a XT90 to Traxxas battery adapter on the ESC.

PS- I did have the bec set on 5 volts on the ESC.

Any advice is much appreciated.
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iím assuming the receiver took out the esc bec.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    Get rid of the adapters. I would solder traxxas connectors or XT150ís onto both the ESC and batteries. The way you have it now itís a choke point. You may be starving the ESC for power this causing it to go up in smoke. Get rid of the XT90ís and either replace with traxxas connectors or what I recommend as well as others here, XT150ís or 8mm bullet connectors. You may end up frying the ESC you just put in. I guarantee that you have a choke point using adapters on a ESC rated at 160a continuous and 1050a peak. Again at minimum I would get rid of the adapters and use just the traxxas connectors or XT150ís. 8mm bullet connectors would be my first choice due to the ease of soldering them on.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Get rid of the adapters. I would solder traxxas connectors or XT150ís onto both the ESC and batteries. The way you have it now itís a choke point. You may be starving the ESC for power this causing it to go up in smoke. Get rid of the XT90ís and either replace with traxxas connectors or what I recommend as well as others here, XT150ís or 8mm bullet connectors. You may end up frying the ESC you just put in. I guarantee that you have a choke point using adapters on a ESC rated at 160a continuous and 1050a peak. Again at minimum I would get rid of the adapters and use just the traxxas connectors or XT150ís. 8mm bullet connectors would be my first choice due to the ease of soldering them on.
    Good advice. The Max5 is a 200 amp esc though, making your point even more valid.
    FWIW I run XT150ís. If you canít or donít solder, have someone else help you out.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    So sorry. Was looking at the specs for the max 6. You are 110% correct. Max 5 is 200a ESC. Definitely want XT150ís or 8mm bullet connectors for it. No way XT90ís to traxxas adapters going to work. This is very likely the issue as to why it smoked. Even the max 6 her says he replaced it with needs to have XT150í as well.

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys. I'm late b/c I didn't get any reply notifications.
    The adapters are GONE & HW replaced the Max 5 esc under warranty terms w/ a fee.
    I bought 2 PowerHobby 4S, 7200mAh, 100c batts w/ XT90 ends to replace the Traxxas batteries I was using. FWIW the PowerHobby batts. fit GREAT w/ the stock batt. hold downs when installed on their "side". W x H are perfect just need some foam inserts to make up for shorter length(even w/ none the batts. don't budge by hand).
    Hopefully this does the trick and this build can finally be done. It was running amazing even on 6s- right up until it wasn't lol.
    Last edited by MT79; 11-14-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0