RC poster

Rustler 4x4 brushed

For Christmas my son wants a 4x4 rustler or a 2wd Vxl rustler. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both? Also I have a battery for the 2wd but it is too long. Apparently you can knock out the back wall. Is this true?

Between those two, definitely go for the 4x4 Brushed. 4x4 vehicles are much easier to control, and because of that are much better vehicles for kids and novice drivers. A 2wd vehicle will tend to spin out when you push the throttle too hard and thus requires good throttle control (especially with brushless power). A 4x4 will be more likely to just go in whatever direction it's pointed even when you are aggressive with the throttle. The Rustler 4x4 is also a much newer design than the 2wd Rustler, and can handle more abuse. The slower brushed motor will also make it easier to control the vehicle, and less likely to crash and break parts. You can always upgrade to brushless later.

RC poster
    Thanks. I guess I can always upgrade to a brushless system. By any chance do you know what the battery tray dimensions are for the 4x4?

RC Racer
    I agree on getting a 4x4 instead of a 2wd for your son. They are easier to control and the rustler 4x4 is pretty tough. Your son will love it. And you can still run a 2s lipo on brushed power, donít forget about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for the info. I think I will get a 4x4 rustler for my son. Does anyone has a video of it running a speed run on the ni-mh battery. Cheers.

RC poster
    Does the rustler 4x4 have tqi or the Bluetooth traxxas link app?

RC Competitor
    The Brushed Rustler 4x4 (at least the one that I got for my boy last year) comes with a TQ (NOT TQi) Transmitter, and thus does not support the blue-tooth module nor TSM. The blue-tooth module was not included with my Brushless Rustler 4x4 for what it's worth, but it's a reasonable upgrade for ~$40.

The upgrade to TQi/TSM is not THAT involved, but if purchasing new-not-used parts might get a little pricey. That said, the TQi-bluetooth-capable transmitters seem to come up on eBay or 'for-sale' forums, and the TSM-capable receivers are common-enough too.

Good Luck. This hobby is not exactly inexpensive (tho it's seriously cheap when compared to real cars/trucks), but there are options if you are patient and keep your eyes open. --BillJ

PS: Oh, and while we have updated the boy's Brushed Rustler 4x4 to a VXL system, and done GTR shocks, he has yet to make any noise about upgrading to the TSM-capable transmitter and receiver (tho he is only 9, and is not as phone-centric as us older folks).
    Last edited by Single_Trac; 11-10-2019 at 10:23 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetoxicbeast View Post
    Does the rustler 4x4 have tqi or the Bluetooth traxxas link app?
    No it comes with the standard
    TQ(Top Qualifier) remote and receiver. It will work just fine for your son. If at some point he wants more control over his rustler, you can upgrade to the TQI radio and receiver. You can find them on eBay for around 40-50 bucks, which isnít bad. I bought one for 45 and itís been great.

Also, I donít have a brushed Rustler 4x4 anymore but I could try and get a clip of mine running on 3s with a Hobbywing 3660 2400kv brushless setup so youíll have an idea of what brushless power in a Rustler 4x4 is like.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    No it comes with the standard
    TQ(Top Qualifier) remote and receiver. It will work just fine for your son. If at some point he wants more control over his rustler, you can upgrade to the TQI radio and receiver. You can find them on eBay for around 40-50 bucks, which isn’t bad. I bought one for 45 and it’s been great.

Also, I don’t have a brushed Rustler 4x4 anymore but I could try and get a clip of mine running on 3s with a Hobbywing 3660 2400kv brushless setup so you’ll have an idea of what brushless power in a Rustler 4x4 is like.

That will be great thanks.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetoxicbeast View Post
    That will be great thanks.
    I didnít have time to do it yesterday, Iíll try and get you a quick video after work this afternoon man.

RC Competitor
    For a son, I think the rear wheel drive VXL would be a ton more fun than the slow brushed four-wheel drive

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan View Post
    For a son, I think the rear wheel drive VXL would be a ton more fun than the slow brushed four-wheel drive
    And harder to control for them. Depends on their age and if they have any rc experience. I still say play it safe with the 4x4 and you can upgrade to brushless later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    And harder to control for them. Depends on their age and if they have any rc experience. I still say play it safe with the 4x4 and you can upgrade to brushless later.

My nine-year-old has no issues with his Castle-powered Slash 2wd which he has had for at least four years. You teach the kid how to drive, don't just hand over the tx and say "Here you go." and turn your back.

The last sentence is a great idea as well.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    You teach the kid how to drive, don't just hand over the tx and say "Here you go." and turn your back.
    You can help train someone, and give them tips about how to drive, but everyone has to learn to drive a vehicle through driving it themselves to some extent. During that first battery pack or two, how hard it is for them to drive and how much fun they have is going to be what determines if it becomes their new favorite hobby or if that new car becomes a dust collector on the shelf. Anyone can learn to drive a 2wd vehicle, but it's harder. The OP only mentioned that he had a "son", but never mentioned age. The kid could be 17 or he could be 5. With an older kid it's probably not as big of a deal.

Also, between the Rustler 4x4 and the 2wd Rustler, there are big differences in the tires that I have not seen mentioned yet in this thread. The stock rear tires on the 2wd Rustler are meant for a loose dirt track. With that combination of tiny tread pattern and soft rubber, you can wear those tires bald in a single battery pack running on something like pavement, especially if you have not mastered your throttle control yet. The Rustler 4x4 comes with tires that have a tread pattern that is great for almost any surface, and will last much longer overall. In addition, the tires on the Rustler 4x4 are the same, front and rear, which makes buying new tires a lot easier. The 2wd Rustler uses a different offset for the front and the rear.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 11-13-2019 at 02:12 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I'd recommend spending the extra 80 or so and get brushless. My first rc car was a brushed rustler and 30 mph was perfect to learn at. I bought the brushed rustler 4x4 with the plans of putting a brushless system in it. I ran it after ordering my brushless system just for the heck of it and it was extremely slow because of the 4 wheel drive. Spend the extra 80 now instead of 150 later. Both rustlers have problems with drive shafts breaking. It's a bigger problem with the 2wd, but still there with the 4wd. You only need to upgrade the back ones for the 4wd. No need to upgrade the front. Look up ”slash 4x4 rear tekno shaft” on Amazon and you can find them for about 35 bucks. Just make sure it's for the rear. It's says slash 4x4 but it fits on the roster.

RC Racer
    So the one question everyone has is, how old is your son? That will help determine what you think they can handle in terms of brushed or brushless.

RC poster
    My son is 11 years old.

RC Competitor
    My couple of pennies (tho it's worth noting that I have ZERO experience with the 2wd version of the rustler):

IF the intent is to let your son have fun driving their car, AND learn to do some wrenching (AND cost is not the most important factor) I'd suggest getting the Brushed 4x4. Once he learns to drive it, and starts to yearn for "More" (power, speed, etc), you can help him learn to work on the car, and do the upgrades together. This WILL cost more, as you'll be buying a new motor, ESC, Drive-shaft, Differential Ring Gears, (and if you want the bluetooth and TSM) and new transmitter and TSM capable receiver. You might be able to find some of these used to save some $$, but this is the cost of learning to wrench.

IF cost is a significant concern, then maybe getting the Burshless 4x4 from the get-go makes sense. Your $$, your kid, your decision. :-). Going this route, you've got the bluetooth-capable (but the bluetooth module itself is extra) transmitter and TSM receiver, as well as the big-power and supporting drive-train right out of the box. Nothing to upgrade until it gets broken ;-) If the power is intimidating, you can run the car in 'Training Mode' (this is true of the Brushed version too, tho the power is less intimidating) which is a nice feature that Traxxas has (not sure if other RC makers have something similar or not)

For ME and MY 9-Year-Old, I thought that it was worthwhile to let him get his fingers dirty (and learn in a hands-on-way), how things work, how to update, trouble-shoot and repair systems. Now...it has not (yet) worked out quite as well as I'd hoped, and I end up doing most of the wrenching for him. He is at least involved somewhat, and is observing the process. Hopefully he adsorbing some of what is going on. Time will tell.

Good Luck, and Have Fun --BillJ
    Last edited by Single_Trac; 11-14-2019 at 11:21 AM.