Thread: slash on a diet

RC poster

slash on a diet

Hi everyone, winter has come and i want to do some upgrades to my slash. I ll be happy for your suggestions and thoughts.
    I want a lighter truck, thinking replacing motor and battery for lighter ones. But how small motor can I run?
    Currently I run a heavy 3665 3500kv motor, will a 3650(maybe lower kv motor) be powerful enough for a slash 4x4? I run my truck on 3s and 2.2 sand paw rear, trencher x front. But planning running sand paws 2.2 on all four corners. Also i need lightweight 3s lipo suggestion and tips for lighten up my truck.

Might I ask, what is your end goal? For what reason are you trying to make it lighter?

You said that you run a "heavy" 3665 motor. That is not far off from the size of the stock velineon motor, which is not bad but not exactly overpowered either. It's not that hard to overheat the stock motor. I'm not sure that going to a smaller motor is really a good idea. Using paddle tires in the snow... that is not going to be easy on the motor, though at least running in snow helps with temps.

Your not going to find a smaller lighter motor that somehow delivers equal or greater power. It's a similar situation with batteries. You aren't going to find smaller lighter batteries that deliver power equivalent to heavier batteries. You can use a smaller motor, but it will have less torque and overheat faster. You can use smaller batteries that have less MAH, if you don't mind the shorter run-time.

But again, what is your end goal? If it's to make it faster or more powerful, I think you should focus on getting a bigger motor and ESC, along with good batteries, not worrying about making the vehicle lighter. If you really do insist on making it lighter, really the first thing I'd look at is the massive body that the Slash 4x4 has. That is just dead-weight plastic. You could put something like a lightweight 1/8th scale buggy body on there instead. Then there are also the huge bumpers that the Slash 4x4 has on the front and rear. You could probably simply remove those, as well as the side bumpers. Maybe replace the front bumper with a small Stampede 4x4 bumper so you still have something there. Then there is the clear plastic that covers the center drive shaft. You don't really need that so you could remove it.

RC poster
    My end goal is to get better flotation on snow, thinking a lighter truck will help with that. Don`t mind loosing a bit
    power/speed, just wondering if a smaller motor would last and be efficient enough on 4 paddles. I am planning to run with
    just an overtray and mabye a rollcage, Stampede bupers are a graet idea

Another factor to consider is the type of snow (powder, slush, crusty, etc) that you will be running on. Snow will increase the drag so you need to power to get through (over) it. The LCG chassis will work best as it will be a flat surface to glide upon (think how a snowmobile is built).
    The Super Derecho

You are not going to be able to remove enough weight to make a difference worth the effort. Just paint the whole thing yellow at least then it will be noticeably lighter.

And how does the roll cage figure into the plan of making it lighter? A roll cage is about the heaviest thing you can add.

A good way to handle snow is to think about how a snowshoe helps a person. It doesn't make them lighter.
    Last edited by zedorda; 11-10-2019 at 10:12 AM.

RC Qualifier
    What you need is something like a rustler 4x4 with a mostly enclosed body running paddle or studded tires. There is no point in spending money to lose weight on the slash when the chassis is just going to be loaded with snow and mud in the first minute, and the sc body just makes sure to catch all the debris and land in the chassis pan.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury66 View Post
    My end goal is to get better flotation on snow, thinking a lighter truck will help with that. Don`t mind loosing a bit
    power/speed, just wondering if a smaller motor would last and be efficient enough on 4 paddles. I am planning to run with
    just an overtray and mabye a rollcage, Stampede bupers are a graet idea
    I run in snow a lot. I LOOOVE running all winter. Pack after pack, no mud...
    Overheating is a non issue in snow. Pick your kv rating based on how much top end speed you need.
    3800 or less is good for most people not doing speed runs. Gear down for the paddles.
    Weight isnít necessarily you enemy in the snow. Weight equals traction!
    I add weight to most of my trucks. As long as itís low and near center. No cage!
    Get rid of weight far from center (bumpers) or high up (body lowered) No cage!
    Ditching the nerf bars and the big Slash body for an Emaxx shell is a great weight reduction.
    Or run just the chassis cover. Saves a ton of weight you can add back to the bulkhead.
    You can ditch the body mounts too. You can paint the cover up and run buggy style!
    LCG is not the way to go as you are more likely to ride up on the snow and get high centred.
    Set shocks bottoms more onboard to increase ride height.
    I just got a 4x4 myself and canít wait to sling some snow with 4 paddles this year!

RC poster
    Maybe you are right guys, I should probably focus on keeping the snow out of the chassis and paddle tires. So I have ordered an overtray, and a set of sand paw`s for the front. Also I have removed rear bumper, and nerf bars.
    Will a E-maxx body protect chassis better from snow than standard body?(I run HCG)
    Is 14/56 gearing too high on 4 paddles? That is what gearing I use now with paddles in rear, no problems whit heat but it is verry cold outside.

Sorry for bad engelish, i`m from Norway.

The E-Maxx body keeps what the tires through up from not getting into the chassis so fast and easy. With a 4x4 you really should run the same wheels and tires on all 4 corners unless you only do slow crawling. The snow is letting you get away with it since traction is so loose but if you hit some high traction surfaces you run the risk of very high wear to the tires up to bending the center drive shaft or blowing diffs at the worst.

RC poster
    Thanke you for your replies.

After a little research it seems to be the trx 3912 (long wheelbase) emaxx body to go for. Does anybody know if the pre reamed holes holes fit the slash?

Good info about the tires zedora, I`ll ceep that in mind.

I currently run an E-Maxx body on my Slash 4x4 I did the MT conversion with. All I had to do was move the body posts on the stock body mount in board alittle.

RC Competitor
    I have been weighing parts. Traxxas fancy blue camber arms weigh 1.5 grams less each, than stock. Tekno m6 axle conversion weighs 1 gram less on each corner. RPM arms weigh 1.5 grams Less on each corner. Funny thing is, rpm claims that their arms weighs 6 grams Less on each Corner, no way Jose. 6 grams less total.