RC poster

Lightbulb Can't decide which RC to get next!!!

So it's been a year that I've been part of the RC hobby and I own a Revo 3.3 and Slash 4x4 VXL. I've set a goal a few months ago that come end November, I will have number 3 join the family. When I bought my first one (Slash) I started looking at the UDR as the videos of the suspension doing its job just completely sucked me in, but I figured I would settle for the more budget friendly option as the first one.

I then started looking at Nitro and just couldn't help but pick up my Revo 3.3 and I don't regret it at all. I love the sound and the smell. Also I wanted a monster truck which is a complete different driving dynamic to that of the Slash. I love my Revo, but I'm happy for it to be my only nitro truck due to all the maintenance that a nitro requires - so on to electric we go...

I still look at all the UDR videos with envy, but the X-Maxx started becoming more and more desirable due to its brute size and of course the monster truck style which I love about my Revo. The one thing that still has me on the fence is its price tag - which is a hefty one. I'm wondering if you would be able to get the same joy from a truck that is less expensive, like the Revo 2.0.

So three weeks to go and this is my question:
    Do I get the UDR, Revo 2.0 or X-Maxx?

I mostly do general bashing and jumping, 95% of the time it's dirt driving. From what I have seen and read the UDR is not really a hard basher or jumper, but man, that suspension and scale detail. Is the Revo as strong and durable as the X-Maxx? More importantly, is it as much fun?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - perhaps a vote?

Thanks!
    Neill
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3

RC Competitor
    Sounds like a job for the E-Revo! Low COG, VERY fast straight out the box, and a well built driveline that can actually take the 6s power.

I owned a 1st gen Xmaxx and switched over to the revo for those reasons. Yes, the size difference is still unmatched, but it got kind of annoying when the batteries died having to carry it back, etc. The massive size is awesome and terrible simultaneously

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

I would take a look at the Maxx for what you want to do...it only requires one battery, is durable and a great basher.

I do love the Revo, X-Maxx, and UDR, but if I could only have one car it would be either the Rustler or the Maxx.

The cars you mentioned are all impressive but they come at a cost...require two batteries per run and break more readily than the Rustler or Maxx. Plus, their parts are more expensive.

That said, out of all of them the only cars that haven't broken so far are my Maxx and UDR, but as you said, the UDR isn't as much of a basher. I will say that I have taken it over some jumps and stuck it's nose, tumbled and cartwheeled it without any breakage so far.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by J.hyland View Post
    Sounds like a job for the E-Revo! Low COG, VERY fast straight out the box, and a well built driveline that can actually take the 6s power.

I owned a 1st gen Xmaxx and switched over to the revo for those reasons. Yes, the size difference is still unmatched, but it got kind of annoying when the batteries died having to carry it back, etc. The massive size is awesome and terrible simultaneously

That was my thinking as well, but then I asked myself, if I took both the E-Revo 2.0 and my Revo 3.3 out bashing, would the 2.0 give me more fun than the Nitro? I just don't want to spend the cash and then sit with two too similar trucks?
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I would take a look at the Maxx for what you want to do...it only requires one battery, is durable and a great basher.

I do love the Revo, X-Maxx, and UDR, but if I could only have one car it would be either the Rustler or the Maxx.

The cars you mentioned are all impressive but they come at a cost...require two batteries per run and break more readily than the Rustler or Maxx. Plus, their parts are more expensive.

That said, out of all of them the only cars that haven't broken so far are my Maxx and UDR, but as you said, the UDR isn't as much of a basher. I will say that I have taken it over some jumps and stuck it's nose, tumbled and cartwheeled it without any breakage so far.
    What you say makes good sense. But as far as the one battery goes I am not too worried, because even if I have the Maxx, I would still end up buying 4-6 batteries for longer bashing sessions. I must say I was under the impression that the Rustler isn't as durable as the X-Maxx or E-Revo. Thanks a lot for your input!
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by NeillZA View Post
    What you say makes good sense. But as far as the one battery goes I am not too worried, because even if I have the Maxx, I would still end up buying 4-6 batteries for longer bashing sessions. I must say I was under the impression that the Rustler isn't as durable as the X-Maxx or E-Revo. Thanks a lot for your input!
    The only problem I've had with the Rustler is the shock caps, which was a cheap and easy fix and I did break one A-arm but that was on 3s...I rarely break anything on 2s.

Most of my cars get 30-45 minutes of runtime so I don't feel I need too many battery sets.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 11-11-2019 at 01:18 AM.

RC Competitor
    That was my thinking as well, but then I asked myself, if I took both the E-Revo 2.0 and my Revo 3.3 out bashing, would the 2.0 give me more fun than the Nitro? I just don't want to spend the cash and then sit with two too similar trucks?
    Well, the 2.0 is quite a bit bigger, verrry nice beefy tires and again, much much faster with a torque bias center diff 4wd

RC poster
    The only problem I've had with the Rustler is the shock caps, which was a cheap and easy fix and I did break one A-arm but that was on 3s...I rarely break anything on 2s.

Most of my cars get 30-45 minutes of runtime so I don't feel I need too many battery sets.
    On my Slash I only run 3s, which is what I would then run in the Rustler as well. I also had the shock cap issue on my Slash which I replaced with the aluminium caps. But I will consider the Rustler as well then as it is a lot more affordable than the others. And so the list grows
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by J.hyland View Post
    Well, the 2.0 is quite a bit bigger, verrry nice beefy tires and again, much much faster with a torque bias center diff 4wd

When bashing and especially jumping I am not sure how much of that speed you will actually use? I geared my Revo's spure gear up from a 36T to a 42T to get a bit more torque out of it as that proved to be more beneficial than top end speed on BMX dirt track.

It's interesting to note that the X-Maxx isn't getting any votes here
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3

When bashing and especially jumping I am not sure how much of that speed you will actually use? I geared my Revo's spure gear up from a 36T to a 42T to get a bit more torque out of it as that proved to be more beneficial than top end speed on BMX dirt track.

It's interesting to note that the X-Maxx isn't getting any votes here
    My X-Maxx lasted about five minutes at the BMX track today before snapping a toe link.

I love X-Maxx...it's very impressive! It's also very expensive to keep up. You basically have twenty pounds of truck torturing the same parts almost that the Maxx tortures with only ten pounds.

Same for the Revo extra speed and weight means more breakage...I've replaced steering servos twice now since July.

On the other hand, I thoroughly thrashed the Maxx and zero breakage.

RC poster
    My X-Maxx lasted about five minutes at the BMX track today before snapping a toe link.

I love X-Maxx...it's very impressive! It's also very expensive to keep up. You basically have twenty pounds of truck torturing the same parts almost that the Maxx tortures with only ten pounds.

Same for the Revo extra speed and weight means more breakage...I've replaced steering servos twice now since July.

On the other hand, I thoroughly thrashed the Maxx and zero breakage.
    Did you send it to the moon the moment you got to the BMX track?? All the videos I've seen on the X-Maxx talks around how it is the toughest and most durable truck out there, so this is quite disappointing to read. Reason why I am a bit against the Maxx is that it is a very similar truck to the Revo 3.3 as well, except for being electric and different suspension setup, so would it provide that much of a different experience?
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3

RC Competitor
    I think I would have to go along with USMC here. A Maxx might be your best option. I am an old nitro guy (been doing it since 1991) so I am very familiar with the Revo 3.3. I can't even count how many I have had. Very good basher and probably was my favorite nitro truck. I have been into electric for about 10 years now while still messing around with Nitro. I buy used ones that need work and rebuild them. I'll mess with them for a little and then sell.

I have had three UDR's. While pretty cool truck, it didn't really do that much for me. The suspension is amazing but bashing just wasn't that fun. They are fairly expensive and not the easiest to work on.

I have had a ton of E-Revo V1's and 4-2.0's. As the Nitro version was one of my favorites, so is the electric one. There are a few weak areas you need to beef up but they are a blast. The power on 6s is insane with 4s being plenty most of the time especially for bashing. This would be similar to running your 3.3 but better. Less hassle than nitro and faster with more torque. I think you would quickly forget about the 3.3 if you got this one.

I have had two X-Maxx's. They are a lot of fun but it is huge. Obviously they are expensive too. They are fairly durable trucks. But again, it is huge. If you have to load everything in the truck/car to go somewhere to bash, it can become too much. Then there's the batteries if you want 8s you need 2-4s batteries. That gets expensive after a while.

Now the Maxx. I have only bought three new trucks ever in the 28+ years I have been into the hobby. My first truck which was a Nitro Hawk. A new E-Revo 2.0 (that is still in the box) and lastly a Maxx. I wanted something to take with us when we go camping. The size of the Maxx was perfect for the storage compartment in our motorhome (I had bought the E-Revo just before the Maxx came out to take camping). I have had the Maxx out 4 times on 3s and 4s. I haven't taken any huge jumps yet but I have bashed it pretty hard. So far everything has held up good. The first time I had it out on 4s, I was full throttle on our street, hit the brakes too hard and cartwheeled it for about 100 feet. Picked it up, looked it over, everything was fine. Continued running it.

Ultimately it's your decision. Each truck has it's pros and cons. I will say though if you are like me, the nitro will get used less and less. It's just so nice to turn on a truck and go. As a matter of fact I am in the process of selling all my nitro stuff right now. Good luck with your decision and bash on!
    Last edited by funmoneypit; 11-11-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Did you send it to the moon the moment you got to the BMX track?? All the videos I've seen on the X-Maxx talks around how it is the toughest and most durable truck out there, so this is quite disappointing to read. Reason why I am a bit against the Maxx is that it is a very similar truck to the Revo 3.3 as well, except for being electric and different suspension setup, so would it provide that much of a different experience?
    Yes, I sent it to the moon several times!

I've never had gas...cars that is! So, I cannot compare, The Maxx is a perfect size and super beefy though.

The Maxx IS challenging to stay upright ...I will say that! On 3s it loves wheelies and if you don't control the throttle well, it will tumble on each turn.

One thing I should tell about me and how I run my cars is that whatever cell count each car takes, I usually run the lowest cell count in it. So, in my 8s X-Maxx, I run 6s, in the 4s Maxx I run 3s, etc.

I find running the highest battery the car can take creates more breakage. I don't like working on cars...just running them. To me, they are all plenty fast as is so no need to max out batteries, change pinions or motors...but that's just me.

I'll break down my personal opinion on each car I have:

$ 1/16 E-Revo and Summit= Great backyard cars...won't cause much damage to themselves or other stuff. They run fine on very short grass...not so well on medium grass and not at all on long grass. It doesn't need much space. It seems a bit tame and slow in very large spaces. Their spirit animal is a rabbit!

$ Rustler 4x4 VXL= One of the best all-around cars for fun, durability, cost to buy, repair and run... a very fun car that jumps excellent and is very stable to drive just about anywhere. Its spirit animal is a cat on catnip!

$$ Maxx= Less stable than the Rustler in turns but otherwise, I'd say all the same stuff about it as the Rustler. It bashes harder than the Rustler. May cause damage to stuff it hits due to its speed and weight.
    It doesn't need much room to roam but can use however much space you give it. Its spirit animal is a playful energetic dog!

$$$ Summit= Kind of an in-between a crawler and an E-Revo...more complicated, more servos, a pain to work on but very fun on trails and dirt piles. Pretty fun in any amount of space if that space is interesting...less fun on plain flat ground. Its spirit animal is a bear!

$$$ E-Revo= Very fast, fairly stable, needs more room to run and can cause lots of damage to itself and other stuff it might hit. Pretty durable, but more expensive to fix than others, can handle a variety of terrain, will blow tires if not maintained well...dual servos tend to go out. I will go to a single servo next.
    it's a good overall car but kind of large. Its spirit animal is an angry badger!

$$$$ UDR= This thing is pretty realistic looking, very fast on the flat or mild ground, very durable, but a complete pain in the buttocks to work on. The body shell alone uses ten or twelve screws to put on or take off. Batteries load from the bottom so no need to take the body off each time, but the battery tray is in a very cramped area and requires a knack for putting on and latching. This thing needs LOTS of room! It can bash, but is best suited for large lots with flat or undulating surface...think flat desert with gentle sand mounds. Its spirit animal is a hungry cheetah!

$$$$ X-Maxx= King Kong of the Traxxas off-road lineup! Very impressive for spectators, very tough but a bit expensive to fix and a bit tough to fix sometimes, some strength required to get things apart. Very large and heavy! This thing needs space to run and WILL cause damage to just about anything it hits.
    Its spirit animal is an angry rhinoceros!

Hope this helps!

Oh, I didn't include the TRX-4, TRX-6 or the 4-Tech because I've never run any of them yet.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 11-11-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Correction to my previous post: I sent the Maxx to the moon several times! I jumped the X-Maxx once, it landed on the left front wheel and snapped the toe-link first jump...not a moon jump either.

It's all in what YOU want out of your next R/C... Me the new E-Revo would be my direction.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    Yes, I sent it to the moon several times!

I've never had gas...cars that is! So, I cannot compare, The Maxx is a perfect size and super beefy though.

The Maxx IS challenging to stay upright ...I will say that! On 3s it loves wheelies and if you don't control the throttle well, it will tumble on each turn.

One thing I should tell about me and how I run my cars is that whatever cell count each car takes, I usually run the lowest cell count in it. So, in my 8s X-Maxx, I run 6s, in the 4s Maxx I run 3s, etc.

I find running the highest battery the car can take creates more breakage. I don't like working on cars...just running them. To me, they are all plenty fast as is so no need to max out batteries, change pinions or motors...but that's just me.

I'll break down my personal opinion on each car I have:

$ 1/16 E-Revo and Summit= Great backyard cars...won't cause much damage to themselves or other stuff. They run fine on very short grass...not so well on medium grass and not at all on long grass. It doesn't need much space. It seems a bit tame and slow in very large spaces. Their spirit animal is a rabbit!

$ Rustler 4x4 VXL= One of the best all-around cars for fun, durability, cost to buy, repair and run... a very fun car that jumps excellent and is very stable to drive just about anywhere. Its spirit animal is a cat on catnip!

$$ Maxx= Less stable than the Rustler in turns but otherwise, I'd say all the same stuff about it as the Rustler. It bashes harder than the Rustler. May cause damage to stuff it hits due to its speed and weight.
    It doesn't need much room to roam but can use however much space you give it. Its spirit animal is a playful energetic dog!

$$$ Summit= Kind of an in-between a crawler and an E-Revo...more complicated, more servos, a pain to work on but very fun on trails and dirt piles. Pretty fun in any amount of space if that space is interesting...less fun on plain flat ground. Its spirit animal is a bear!

$$$ E-Revo= Very fast, fairly stable, needs more room to run and can cause lots of damage to itself and other stuff it might hit. Pretty durable, but more expensive to fix than others, can handle a variety of terrain, will blow tires if not maintained well...dual servos tend to go out. I will go to a single servo next.
    it's a good overall car but kind of large. Its spirit animal is an angry badger!

$$$$ UDR= This thing is pretty realistic looking, very fast on the flat or mild ground, very durable, but a complete pain in the buttocks to work on. The body shell alone uses ten or twelve screws to put on or take off. Batteries load from the bottom so no need to take the body off each time, but the battery tray is in a very cramped area and requires a knack for putting on and latching. This thing needs LOTS of room! It can bash, but is best suited for large lots with flat or undulating surface...think flat desert with gentle sand mounds. Its spirit animal is a hungry cheetah!

$$$$ X-Maxx= King Kong of the Traxxas off-road lineup! Very impressive for spectators, very tough but a bit expensive to fix and a bit tough to fix sometimes, some strength required to get things apart. Very large and heavy! This thing needs space to run and WILL cause damage to just about anything it hits.
    Its spirit animal is an angry rhinoceros!

Hope this helps!

Oh, I didn't include the TRX-4, TRX-6 or the 4-Tech because I've never run any of them yet.
    Thanks for the feedback, this helps a lot. I might just do the X-Maxx and add the Rustler 4x4 VXL as well if the budget allows, but from I've seen he X-Maxx is pretty simple to work on, and I do like the beast size of it.

Thanks for everyone's input!
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    It's all in what YOU want out of your next R/C... Me the new E-Revo would be my direction.
    I guess that is why we keep buying new RC's The UDR will definitely follow soon, but for now - a hardcore basher.
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3

You sound like me...just get one of each!