Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Waiting for my xmaxx 8s. New owner. First Traxxas ever

Like the title says. I just ordered an Xmaxx 8s and I don't even know why. It's brand new and I'm new to Traxxas but not new to RC vehicles. I have another 3 rigs from another company, and I decided to give the X maxx a chance because of how massive it is. My other vehicles are 1/8 electric truggie and monster trucks. So I know that I have to put some washers in the xmaxx body so that it doesn't get damaged correct? I've heard about the factory ESC catching on fire, but how common is it? I was thinking of just driving this thing and taking it from there. Any suggestions for this rookie? Hehe, well rookie when it comes to Traxxas. Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    I'll probably not take chances on the stock ESC. So this is what I need correct? :
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...010500/p453308

RC Enthusiast
    Is ANYONE here running their Traxxas 8s with the stock ESC for a long time with no issues? ��

RC Competitor
    I would run it on the stock ESC. If it goes out then upgrade.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbond12 View Post
    I would run it on the stock ESC. If it goes out then upgrade.
    I'm just affraid that it will catch on fire like some of them do. But the question is, how many have done that out of the ones sold? ��. Thanks. I'll be using aftermarket lipo batteries since I don't care for the Traxxas ones TBH. It is a brand new vehicle after all, so Traxxas would take care of it if something happens.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Or run the Max5. Max 6 drops right in but the Max5 gives you 200 amps as opposed to 160. Also I run the Proline Brute body, Ive got others, but for bashing the Brute body does on.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    I would stay with the stock esc at lest for a little while and maybe pick up the bluetooth module for firmware updates and radio adjustments.

oh and if your running multiple cars in a day, dont run the xmaxx first. It will make your 8th scale trucks feel like boring little toy trucks : )

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
    I would stay with the stock esc at lest for a little while and maybe pick up the bluetooth module for firmware updates and radio adjustments.

oh and if your running multiple cars in a day, dont run the xmaxx first. It will make your 8th scale trucks feel like boring little toy trucks : )
    Hahaha. My 6s rigs are anything but boring I guarantee you. Two of them are truggies and one is a MT. I've never felt bored. I just want to try something new. Hehehe. Thanks. Yeah I'll run the Xmaxx stock and take it from there. Yeah I'm going to get the module to upgrade the firmware. Maybe that helps.

RC Enthusiast
    Thinking about these batteries. Thoughts? Thanks :
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F392219399427

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Power Hobby is pretty well liked. Id step up though, to something with a higher C rating and larger capacity.

RC Enthusiast
    I bought my brand new X-Maxx in February and my ESC caught fire in March. Honestly the fire wasn't the scariest part, the odd behavior associated with a malfunctioning ESC was the most dangerous. The truck would randomly just take off full speed, reverse or forward. As you will quickly discover, the truck is too big and too heavy to risk hitting yourself or others!

Traxxas sent me a replacement stock ESC and I have had zero problems with it. I do keep the firmware updated which may not help but it sure doesn't hurt.

Lastly, congrats on your purchase. This truck is so much fun and as tough as they come. I'd run the stock ESC, keep a spare spur and pinion gear on hand and take the other precautions you mentioned. Have fun, drive it as hard as you want, and fix it when (not if) it breaks.

RC Competitor
    No issues with my 8S stock ESC. Definitely want the washers for the body and I would also say RPM rear hubs. 20/46 gearing works great as well if you want a lot of speed.

RC Enthusiast
    Asked my LHS owner about ESC issues with his sales. He said that out of 30 xmaxx that he sells in one year, about 8 to 10 have had issues. ��

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 100cotton View Post
    No issues with my 8S stock ESC. Definitely want the washers for the body and I would also say RPM rear hubs. 20/46 gearing works great as well if you want a lot of speed.
    What size washers do you use? Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Power Hobby is pretty well liked. I’d step up though, to something with a higher C rating and larger capacity.

OK. I went with these :
    http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=558

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, so I'll run the stock ESC and cross my fingers. Batteries are now bought and so is the Bluetooth module.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxx 8s newb View Post
    Good call

Asked my LHS owner about ESC issues with his sales. He said that out of 30 xmaxx that he sells in one year, about 8 to 10 have had issues. ��
    I'd be curious to know how many of the esc issues happen with proper Traxxas batteries versus 3rd party or other hop up mods added?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I'd be curious to know how many of the esc issues happen with proper Traxxas batteries versus 3rd party or other hop up mods added?
    Good question. There are so many variables in that situation that it's next to impossible to answer that. But I've heard of people using the "Traxxas batteries" and there were still issues. You mean like using batteries that under rated or too cheap? Yeah, that could cause a problem there. I forgot to research and ask what is the minimum C rating and MAH rating for the xmaxx. On another note, some people say that I have to go with the Max 5 instead of the max 6 esc if/when I have to change my stock ESC. How big of a difference is there between the two? Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    I see that the stock Traxxas battery for the xmaxx 8s says : 25C 6500 MAH, so the batteries that I ordered are way above that. So I'm pretty sure I'll be OK.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good question. There are so many variables in that situation that it's next to impossible to answer that. But I've heard of people using the "Traxxas batteries" and there were still issues. You mean like using batteries that under rated or too cheap? Yeah, that could cause a problem there. I forgot to research and ask what is the minimum C rating and MAH rating for the xmaxx. On another note, some people say that I have to go with the Max 5 instead of the max 6 esc if/when I have to change my stock ESC. How big of a difference is there between the two? Thanks.
    You dont have to go for a Max5. The difference is constant 160 amps or 200 amps. The Max6 drops right in and will run your stock motors very well. If you do change motors youll just need to match the amp draw of the motor to the amp capacity of the esc. Dont forget to match the batteries as well. For a well balanced truck these numbers need to pretty much line up. Always better to have more than less when it comes to batteries and esc.

RC Qualifier
    Is ANYONE here running their Traxxas 8s with the stock ESC for a long time with no issues? ��
    have ran 2 vxl8s esc's since the 8s power up system became available
    first new 8s roller from jennys rc was $475 - no body or esc -both vxl8s are still operating
    max6 punch is worth the change

my first 6s Xmaxx had an esc failure - replaced by traxxas - still working

stock new Xmaxx shouldn't have issues
    adjust and update firmware = totally enjoy it
    fabricator

How big of a difference is there between the two? Thanks.
    I'm not the right person to ask. I stay stock, use Traxxas Batteries and stay one cell down from maximum. For instance, I have an 8s X-Maxx but have only run it 6s...same with all my cars. The only problems I have are with steering servos.

RC Enthusiast
    Decided to go with the Max 6. First I'll do all the firmware upgrades then I'll replace the stock ESC. So have any of you here checked your diffs to see how much fluid is in there, or did you just run the xmaxx? I'm also going to do the drywall tape and shoe glue trick on the inside of the body's to make it more rigid and will be instilling some washers underneath the screws so that the screws don't go through (I'll take the cheap route and buy the washers at the local hardware store). Thanks. I went with the max 6 also so that I could share batteries between my rigs. Xt90 plugs that is.

RC Qualifier
    The "washers" you need are in this video and it shows you two ways to install them so you can see the difference. This is on my E-Revo 2.0, but I use the same on my X-Maxx:

Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Yes. Over 2 years. My first few runs my esc was stuttering the brakes while in neutral. Especially mid arc off of a ramp lol. Bought the Bluetooth module, updated the esc, set my throttle brake curves end points etc. Haven't turned the app on since. I fried chicken love the stock esc in a stock truck.

I believe the fire issue was a firmware issue with the esc. Just my opinion. I do believe mine may have caught fire if I did not update the firmware. I also believe Traxxas has resolved the issue since those earlier runs.

If you have seen any of my vids, you know I've beat the snot out of this esc and it's not blinked since the update. It hits 150 on 95 degree days running 50/20 gears. All fans still chugging along running in dusty, rocky clay. It's been perfect for me.

Try the stock eac before you drop 130$+ on a max6.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    The "washers" you need are in this video and it shows you two ways to install them so you can see the difference. This is on my E-Revo 2.0, but I use the same on my X-Maxx:

Thanks. I'll make sure to subscribe.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Yes. Over 2 years. My first few runs my esc was stuttering the brakes while in neutral. Especially mid arc off of a ramp lol. Bought the Bluetooth module, updated the esc, set my throttle brake curves end points etc. Haven't turned the app on since. I fried chicken love the stock esc in a stock truck.

I believe the fire issue was a firmware issue with the esc. Just my opinion. I do believe mine may have caught fire if I did not update the firmware. I also believe Traxxas has resolved the issue since those earlier runs.

If you have seen any of my vids, you know I've beat the snot out of this esc and it's not blinked since the update. It hits 150 on 95 degree days running 50/20 gears. All fans still chugging along running in dusty, rocky clay. It's been perfect for me.

Try the stock eac before you drop 130$+ on a max6.
    Have you tried aftermarket batteries with your xmaxx 8s? Thanks!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Yes. I've used smc 5400, power hobbies 5200, and the Traxxas 6700. The power hobbies were the best of the 3 imo.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Yes. I've used smc 5400, power hobbies 5200, and the Traxxas 6700. The power hobbies were the best of the 3 imo.
    Ah OK. Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    Just unboxed my Traxxas xmaxx 8s and it's very nice. Did Traxxas update the screws on the bodies since I see plastic inserts underneath the body screws so that they don't punch through or am I wrong? Thanks. Yup, my body where the screws go isn't just the screw anymore. It also has a plastic insert. Cool. I just watched a video where someone had to put washers BC they only had screws on theirs.
    Last edited by Xmaxx 8s newb; 11-29-2019 at 11:23 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    OK, so I did all the firmware updates and adjusted my endpoints. I don't understand why some people think the xmaxx 8s is slow with the stock gearing out of the box. It's plenty fast for me. And I have vehicles that go 50+ MPH. I'm really liking this beast after a very short run. And yes, if ever strip my spur gear, I will go to the higher gearing!
    Last edited by Xmaxx 8s newb; 11-29-2019 at 06:33 PM.

RC Racer
    Awesome congrats
    Thinking about getting that Bluetooth module so I can do any updates and do some tweaks

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yathump View Post
    Awesome congrats
    Thinking about getting that Bluetooth module so I can do any updates and do some tweaks
    Well the main reason I got the BT module was for the firmware updates and to adjust my endpoints, which are very important so that you don't ruin your steering servo. BTW, I had to lower the throw on the left side because it was straining the servo from the 100% factory setting. The module pays for itself just with that. I would recommend it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Xmaxx 8s newb; 11-30-2019 at 08:44 AM.

RC Racer
    Good to know
    Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Ran my xmaxx 8s on loose dirt yesterday and it was fun. I did notice though that I began to have noise coming from the wheels I believe. It sounds like the bearings are already going bad? I'll have to investigate a bit more. It's a very dusty environment where I ran it, but noise after only one run? ��

RC poster
    Take the wheels off and check it out. It's not a bad idea to go over everything to check for loose bolts.

I just got an XMaxx on Wednesday. 5 minutes into the 1st run I discovered why everyone recommends the hinge pin mod. Go ahead and order yourself either the RPM or Cen pins.

RC poster
    I've held off on getting one for a while now, hoping they would do a better upgrade on the ESC. I think most of there problems are people running the max the esc can handle. Im considering on getting one and just run of 6s. Probably less risk of problems there. I run electric hydros and always get more esc than I need and to be safe never run the max it can handle, running the max cells it can handle, and under loads thats asking for trouble. No fires yet in the 20 or so years of running.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by troybolton414 View Post
    Take the wheels off and check it out. It's not a bad idea to go over everything to check for loose bolts.

I just got an XMaxx on Wednesday. 5 minutes into the 1st run I discovered why everyone recommends the hinge pin mod. Go ahead and order yourself either the RPM or Cen pins.
    Yeah, it sounds like the noise is coming from the center shaft if I'm not mistaken, but it doesn't sound like the bearings TBH. Still trying to isolate the noise. It's between the center shaft and the diffs. I can hear the noise from just spinning the wheels while my vehicle is upside down. I'll try to investigate a bit more tomorrow while I run it. Hinge pins? Do they back out or something?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl302 View Post
    I've held off on getting one for a while now, hoping they would do a better upgrade on the ESC. I think most of there problems are people running the max the esc can handle. Im considering on getting one and just run of 6s. Probably less risk of problems there. I run electric hydros and always get more esc than I need and to be safe never run the max it can handle, running the max cells it can handle, and under loads thats asking for trouble. No fires yet in the 20 or so years of running.
    If it says the ESC is 8s, then I'm going to run 8s. That shouldn't be a problem. It's like getting a v8 mustang and driving it like a grandma. It's supposed to be designed to handle 8s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast