Stampede 4x4 For Child

I bought my nephew a 2WD, brushed Slash for his 6th birthday. He loves it and it's been durable like expected. He does get frustrated on low traction surfaces and snow. He told me that he would like a monster truck RC when I pressed him on what he wanted for Christmas.

So, being the awesome uncle , I am looking into the Slash 4x4 brushed or the competition which has the name of a material you'd use to make a countertop. The competition is considerably cheaper. Parts support shouldn't be an issue because my LHS stocks both brands.

I have no experience with the Stampede 4x4 or any of the competition so I have a few questions.

1. How durable is the Slash 4x4 going to be for a beginner?
    2. Are there any problem areas on this truck that need upgrades?
    3. Are there any differences between the brushed and VXL Stampede 4x4 besides the electronics?
    4. The Stampede 4x4 appears to sit higher than the competition so I'm worried about it rolling over too often.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

RC Qualifier

Stampede 4x4 For Child

The Stampede 4x4 vxl is ridiculously durable. Cartwheels and rollovers at high speed and no breakage. My Stampede is going on 3 years old and is in an upgrade transition at the moment.
    The only weakness and it took 2 years to break something is when long grass etc gets twisted around the half shafts and breaks them. I have been more daring this last year and broke 3 sets ad went to MIP and Tekno drives shafts up front.
    It’s fast, its a monster and it hauls butt through the grass. We got my nephew a 2wd at 5 years old and hopefully he doesn’t get frustrated.

Stick with 2s and breakage should be rare.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-13-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Language abuse.

RC Qualifier
    I should say all the breakage has been at the yolks. I am on my 3rd spur gear, but like I said this thing takes abuse.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    I bought my nephew a 2WD, brushed Slash for his 6th birthday. He loves it and it's been durable like expected. He does get frustrated on low traction surfaces and snow. He told me that he would like a monster truck RC when I pressed him on what he wanted for Christmas.

So, being the awesome uncle , I am looking into the Slash 4x4 brushed or the competition which has the name of a material you'd use to make a countertop. The competition is considerably cheaper. Parts support shouldn't be an issue because my LHS stocks both brands.

I have no experience with the Stampede 4x4 or any of the competition so I have a few questions.

1. How durable is the Slash 4x4 going to be for a beginner?
    2. Are there any problem areas on this truck that need upgrades?
    3. Are there any differences between the brushed and VXL Stampede 4x4 besides the electronics?
    4. The Stampede 4x4 appears to sit higher than the competition so I'm worried about it rolling over too often.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
    Oh and to answer better
    2. Slipper clutch bearing replaced with aluminum part 6$ is the most crucial. I would do a 12$ Revo slipper clutch upgrade. Save for tires and 17mm adapter to wide and help rollovers. If you go 3s yes, metal half shafts.
    3. I believe you get ultra shocks, and hd half shaft axles ends I think. Get the VXL, the gyro stability control will make him an even better driver and You can set it 0-100%. the VXL on 2s stays nice and cool.. You get brushless of course that you can set at 50% for beginners and itís just fast.
    4. Yes they flip on fast turns but you get good at not doing it. It literally runs over everything and if you do flip or roll, a lot of times you land right side up.

I need to get my Stampede back and running.

RC Qualifier
    I had a 4x4 xl5 Stampede that I let the neighborhood kids all drive...….bulletproof.

Also, it didn't really roll over that much too being the xl5 is a little slower then the VXL.

And the xl5 has the "chevron" type tires that do fairly well in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    Oh and to answer better
    2. Slipper clutch bearing replaced with aluminum part 6$ is the most crucial. I would do a 12$ Revo slipper clutch upgrade. Save for tires and 17mm adapter to wide and help rollovers. If you go 3s yes, metal half shafts.
    3. I believe you get ultra shocks, and hd half shaft axles ends I think. Get the VXL, the gyro stability control will make him an even better driver and You can set it 0-100%. the VXL on 2s stays nice and cool.. You get brushless of course that you can set at 50% for beginners and it’s just fast.
    4. Yes they flip on fast turns but you get good at not doing it. It literally runs over everything and if you do flip or roll, a lot of times you land right side up.

I need to get my Stampede back and running.

Thank you for your input. I do not plan to buy him the VXL. I was just wondering if there were any parts that were substantially different and whether or not they could be upgraded. Usually the differences are fairly minor and typically you can always upgrade to brushless specs.

Do you have any input on the Stampede 4x4 compared to competitive trucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    I had a 4x4 xl5 Stampede that I let the neighborhood kids all drive...….bulletproof.

Also, it didn't really roll over that much too being the xl5 is a little slower then the VXL.

And the xl5 has the "chevron" type tires that do fairly well in the snow.
    Thank you. Do you have any input on the Stampede 4x4 compared to competitive trucks?

RC Qualifier

Thank you. Do you have any input on the Stampede 4x4 compared to competitive trucks?
    No, but with all the parts support and aftermarket parts it's hard not to lean towards the Traxxas brand.

RC Qualifier
    Yea there will be no issues upgrading from the XL5 at all. As far as competitors, it really has none. It does a lot of things well and is a blast. I love mine.

RC Enthusiast
    the trucks are (at least in slower brushed form) super durable. if it is too fast for him just toss a 21t motor in it and that slows her down a bit. the only issue i ever have (using it in the snow or water) is the bearing that the slipper rides on corrodes really bad and needs constant maintenance when driven in the wet but new bearing for that are just a buck or two.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by patmanz28 View Post
    the trucks are (at least in slower brushed form) super durable. if it is too fast for him just toss a 21t motor in it and that slows her down a bit. the only issue i ever have (using it in the snow or water) is the bearing that the slipper rides on corrodes really bad and needs constant maintenance when driven in the wet but new bearing for that are just a buck or two.
    Access to an air compressor to blow the slush and water out and a shot of WD 40 doesn’t hurt either

RC Qualifier
    We bought the brushed Stampede 4x4 3 1/2 yrs ago and the only upgrades we've done are the axles.
    https://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=6851a
    https://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=6852a

A year ago we threw this brushless set up in it and have never changed a thing or needed any upgrades, set the timing to go from 20mph to 35 mph if you choose, it never gets hot and we only run it on 2s. I did take the esc covers off and conformal coat the boards inside and no problems in our wet climate. Pretty amazing little setup with the program card and it's sensored.
    https://www.amazon.com/SkyRC-Cheetah...3754589&sr=8-1

RC Racer
    Thank you for your input. I do not plan to buy him the VXL. I was just wondering if there were any parts that were substantially different and whether or not they could be upgraded. Usually the differences are fairly minor and typically you can always upgrade to brushless specs.

Do you have any input on the Stampede 4x4 compared to competitive trucks?

The other brand you speak of that starts with an A. I have a brushed one that converted to brushless. The brushed version is cheaper than the brushless one but not worth it. Too much difference between the brushed and brushless the $80 difference better to go with the brushless version. The brushed has smaller teeth on the diff inputs (plastc shaft also) and diffs than the brushless version. Brushed comes with a 48p single pad slipper brushless 0.8mod/32p spur/slipper. The XL5 and Titan IMO is better than the stock A brushed system. The radio the STX2 is a piece of junk radio also. The shafts are fairly stout IMO compared to Traxxas shafts (I know that's not saying much). As far as out the box overall the brushed Pede is better (except the shafts). Any further discussion is probably best left for a different forum.
    Last edited by Igottabeme; 11-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Igottabeme View Post
    The other brand you speak of that starts with an A. I have a brushed one that converted to brushless. The brushed version is cheaper than the brushless one but not worth it. Too much difference between the brushed and brushless the $80 difference better to go with the brushless version. The brushed has smaller teeth on the diff inputs (plastc shaft also) and diffs than the brushless version. Brushed comes with a 48p single pad slipper brushless 0.8mod/32p spur/slipper. The XL5 and Titan IMO is better than the stock A brushed system. The radio the STX2 is a piece of junk radio also. The shafts are fairly stout IMO compared to Traxxas shafts (I know that's not saying much). As far as out the box overall the brushed Pede is better (except the shafts). Any further discussion is probably best left for a different forum.
    It seems like it's fine if you stay brushed. It's annoying they take shortcomings on their brushed trucks whereas Traxxas does not for the most part. I believe the brushed Stampede 4x4 is equipped just like the VXL Stampede 4x4.

It seems like it's fine if you stay brushed. It's annoying they take shortcomings on their brushed trucks whereas Traxxas does not for the most part. I believe the brushed Stampede 4x4 is equipped just like the VXL Stampede 4x4.
    Unfortunately that's not the case. Some (but not all) of the compromises/differences on the brushed model include: Plastic center drive shaft (metal on VXL). Fixed camber-links (adjustable on VXL). 2056 servo (2075 with VXL). 9t pinion (11t stock on VXL).

But none of those are show-stoppers if you want to upgrade to brushless, and all of those parts are fairly cheap to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Unfortunately that's not the case. Some (but not all) of the compromises/differences on the brushed model include: Plastic center drive shaft (metal on VXL). Fixed camber-links (adjustable on VXL). 2056 servo (2075 with VXL). 9t pinion (11t stock on VXL).

But none of those are show-stoppers if you want to upgrade to brushless, and all of those parts are fairly cheap to upgrade.
    Thank you. That was more than I expected. On another thread somebody also said the diffs are "slower" which I assume means different gearing. Any idea if that's true?

It appears that the competition takes even more shortcuts on their brushed models.

The Ring and Pinion gears on the brushed are a lower ratio than the VXL. 12/47 for the brushed v.s 13/37 for the VXL. I believe that the internals and materials used are the same for the two.

somebody also said the diffs are "slower" which I assume means different gearing. Any idea if that's true?
    The VXL has uses a ratio of 37t/13t (2.85) for the ring and pinion.
    The brushed model uses a ratio of 47t/12t (3.92) for the ring and pinion.

Upgraded part can be purchased as part# 5379X
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5379X

Quote Originally Posted by hammie4c View Post
    The Ring and Pinion gears on the brushed are a lower ratio than the VXL. 12/47 for the brushed v.s 13/37 for the VXL. I believe that the internals and materials used are the same for the two.
    The VXL has uses a ratio of 37t/13t (2.85) for the ring and pinion.
    The brushed model uses a ratio of 47t/12t (3.92) for the ring and pinion.

Upgraded part can be purchased as part# 5379X
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5379X
    Thanks guys. It makes sense. Higher (numerically) gear ratio for the less powerful brushed motor.

Any other input?

Any other input?
    The Stampede 4x4 should be a great choice for your needs.

There are plenty of other brands out there besides Traxxas but I have never regretted using primarily Traxxas vehicles. Meanwhile almost every person I've bashed with who went with another brand to save money ended up regretting it and eventually buying a Traxxas vehicle anyway. I guess they just got tired of seeing how easily I was able to upgrade and replace parts due to the amazing parts availability, and tired of watching their vehicles get outperformed. Once you get over the hump of buying your initial vehicle, I'd argue that Traxxas is one of the least expensive brands to own just due to how easy and cheap it is to find parts (stock and upgraded) anywhere and everywhere. I was able to build a 2nd Stampede 4x4 from the ground up using spare parts and replacement parts as a very low-budget project.

Rolling over is not really a problem with the Stampede 4x4. The fact that it sits higher helps a ton on most surfaces, especially snow. You don't want to end up sliding around on the chassis like a snowboard.

As far as "problem areas" go, it's a pretty tough truck even stock. Still, I would consider upgrading to a RPM front bumper as well as RPM A-Arms. The stock front bumper is VERY tiny, and really doesn't protect anything, whereas the RPM bumper helps a lot with frontal impacts. It also adds a little weight to the front which helps keep the front tires on the ground (wheelies are fun, but you can't steer when the front tires are off the ground). The stock A-Arms tend to snap easily if you cartwheel or hit an object (like a pole or tree) with one of your tires. The RPM arms have more flex and will simply bend (and bend back) instead. You might look at getting Aluminum hex adapters also, because the stock plastic hex adapters can strip easily, and sometimes strip the socket in your wheels in the process. That might not be as big of an issue on Brushed though.

Other than that I would simply replace/upgrade parts as they break.

Finally, the stock tires on the brushed Stampede 4x4 are amazing for snow. They have a very tall tread pattern that is about as close to a snow tire as you will probably ever see on a stock tire. If you plan to run in snow, you made the right choice in that regard.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Any other input?
    My input from personal experience is, buy
    One.

Somehow builds are never done....

The Stampede 4x4 should be a great choice for your needs.

There are plenty of other brands out there besides Traxxas but I have never regretted using primarily Traxxas vehicles. Meanwhile almost every person I've bashed with who went with another brand to save money ended up regretting it and eventually buying a Traxxas vehicle anyway. I guess they just got tired of seeing how easily I was able to upgrade and replace parts due to the amazing parts availability, and tired of watching their vehicles get outperformed. Once you get over the hump of buying your initial vehicle, I'd argue that Traxxas is one of the least expensive brands to own just due to how easy and cheap it is to find parts (stock and upgraded) anywhere and everywhere. I was able to build a 2nd Stampede 4x4 from the ground up using spare parts and replacement parts as a very low-budget project.

Rolling over is not really a problem with the Stampede 4x4. The fact that it sits higher helps a ton on most surfaces, especially snow. You don't want to end up sliding around on the chassis like a snowboard.

As far as "problem areas" go, it's a pretty tough truck even stock. Still, I would consider upgrading to a RPM front bumper as well as RPM A-Arms. The stock front bumper is VERY tiny, and really doesn't protect anything, whereas the RPM bumper helps a lot with frontal impacts. It also adds a little weight to the front which helps keep the front tires on the ground (wheelies are fun, but you can't steer when the front tires are off the ground). The stock A-Arms tend to snap easily if you cartwheel or hit an object (like a pole or tree) with one of your tires. The RPM arms have more flex and will simply bend (and bend back) instead. You might look at getting Aluminum hex adapters also, because the stock plastic hex adapters can strip easily, and sometimes strip the socket in your wheels in the process. That might not be as big of an issue on Brushed though.

Other than that I would simply replace/upgrade parts as they break.

Finally, the stock tires on the brushed Stampede 4x4 are amazing for snow. They have a very tall tread pattern that is about as close to a snow tire as you will probably ever see on a stock tire. If you plan to run in snow, you made the right choice in that regard.
    Good post. Thanks.

One of the things I hate about the Stampede is that the body seems disconnected from the chassis. It is so freaking high, the wheel wells are so huge, and it floats above the chassis.

RC Qualifier
    I second the RPM bumper. I call it the sweeper. It hits everything first and has the perfect flex. I must say after 3 years I have the same stock A Arms going strong. I owe it to the Sweeper. My brother doesnít have one, and he broke a front A arm after a few runs. Actually I did it... to his truck.. by accident. Mine was disassembled for repairs and he felt bad I had nothing to drive. I accidentally went out of control and hit a log with the front wheel. Snap went the A arm.
    If you plan on using Teckno metal shafts you donít want the RPM arms from what I read, they flex too much allowing the shaft to come free.

The RPM bumper looks good. I'm sure it will protect as well as you guys say because it's RPM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good post. Thanks.

One of the things I hate about the Stampede is that the body seems disconnected from the chassis. It is so freaking high, the wheel wells are so huge, and it floats above the chassis.
    I got the Bigfoot mounts to use different bodies. The rear posts are more narrow. I dropped mine down so you barely see the chassis. Iím with you. I hated that too. Iíll throw up a few pictures later

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I got the Bigfoot mounts to use different bodies. The rear posts are more narrow. I dropped mine down so you barely see the chassis. I’m with you. I hated that too. I’ll throw up a few pictures later

Awesome! Thank you.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Awesome! Thank you.

[IMG]
    That definitely looks much better! Thank you for sharing that photo.

Now let's hope Traxxas has a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale so I don't have to go with the $80 cheaper competition...
    Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 11-27-2019 at 08:00 AM.

RC Racer
    Man, those wheels! So nice!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    Man, those wheels! So nice!
    Thanks. They run very nice. Iíve got Badlands on 17mm wheels for bashing as well.

RC Qualifier
    That definitely looks much better! Thank you for sharing that photo.

Now let's hope Traxxas has a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale so I don't have to go with the $80 cheaper competition...
    Are you talking about Armma? If so I know the model close on price to the stampede has old school front and rear planetary gears and plastic center driveshaft. The stampede 4x4 has real diffs and spider gears

Are you talking about Armma? If so I know the model close on price to the stampede has old school front and rear planetary gears and plastic center driveshaft. The stampede 4x4 has real diffs and spider gears

Yes, I am. There are pros and cons to both trucks, but I am pretty much settled on the brushed Stampede 4x4. The reasoning for that is the parts support, especially in terms of the aftermarket, is so much greater for the Stampede.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I am. There are pros and cons to both trucks, but I am pretty much settled on the brushed Stampede 4x4. The reasoning for that is the parts support, especially in terms of the aftermarket, is so much greater for the Stampede.
    I agree. We almost bought one for my nephew, but got the stampede for better part support.

RC poster
    I agree. We almost bought one for my nephew, but got the stampede for better part support.

yeah the stampede is one that i also went for